Tesla cars have driven over 1.2 billion miles on autopilot, 4 casualties

Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
Orange Room Supporter
In mid 2018 tesla had announced that it’s cars had gone through 1.2 billion miles of road while under the control of their “Autopilot” driving assistance system, for a death toll of 3 people.

This week a fourth casualty was added as a tesla model3 car running on autopilot hit a truck, the logs show that the driver’s hands were not on the steering wheel for 8 seconds before crash.

So extrapolating from 2018’s data we can safely say that tesla cars had 4 deadly crashes for over 2billion miles of road driven.

Would you trust your life to this autopilot?
What are your thoughts about self driving cars

• Advertisement
  • Mrsrx

Mrsrx

Somehow a Member
    Staff member
    In mid 2018 tesla had announced that it’s cars had gone through 1.2 billion miles of road while under the control of their “Autopilot” driving assistance system, for a death toll of 3 people.

This week a fourth casualty was added as a tesla model3 car running on autopilot hit a truck, the logs show that the driver’s hands were not on the steering wheel for 8 seconds before crash.

So extrapolating from 2018’s data we can safely say that tesla cars had 4 deadly crashes for over 2billion miles of road driven.

Would you trust your life to this autopilot?
    What are your thoughts about self driving cars
    Why do we act like this is something big!
    The number of times my old trusty golf got me home drunk on autopilot ....i just put A and bam i was home!

I never calculated the miles driven but 0/1 is lower than 4/X

little old golf wins! its like the iphone buzz this existed for years before!

The real question is not do you trust the autopilot it is more how much of an inflated ego you have to think that an accident will never happen to you and it is your fault when a machine can do it with a faster reaction time and a systematic risk averse way.

Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
    Orange Room Supporter
    Why do we act like this is something big!
    It is big because musk projects 1 million self driving tesla taxis by 2020, would u ride such a taxis?
    The number of times my old trusty golf got me home drunk on autopilot ....i just put A and bam i was home!

I never calculated the miles driven but 0/1 is lower than 4/X

little old golf wins! its like the iphone buzz this existed for years before!
    Given the choice to drunk drive back home in ur old golf or in a tesla on autopilot, which would u chose?

The real question is not do you trust the autopilot it is more how much of an inflated ego you have to think that an accident will never happen to you and it is your fault when a machine can do it with a faster reaction time and a systematic risk averse way.
    I want to comment on the last part “systematic risk averse”, how do you include ethical/moral choices in your reasoning?

Mrsrx

Mrsrx

Somehow a Member
    Staff member
    It is big because musk projects 1 million self driving tesla taxis by 2020, would u ride such a taxis?
    Was sarcasm :)

Given the choice to drunk drive back home in ur old golf or in a tesla on autopilot, which would u chose?
    Again i think the point was made on what my preference is by describing an idiot driver situation full of ego and self assurance of this will never happen to me.

I want to comment on the last part “systematic risk averse”, how do you include ethical/moral choices in your reasoning?
    You can look at this in 2 ways
    1) situational i am in the car and i have a split second to make ethical and moral decision: this can go 50/50 depending on my ethics and my morals and the decision i take in that split second which is by human reflex for self protection when you do not have to risk and procon assess and the capacity to react in a timely manner and the response of the vehicle i am in. 50/50 chance to be generous....
    2) general: If you compare 2 billion miles driven by an average driver (drunk, sleepy, concentrated, eating, talking on the phone, normal.....) how many deaths would that equate? ill say more than 4 deaths either the driver, passengers, other cars, pedestians,.....

So for me i would like to think that 4/2BKMs is a good number compared to a human driver so ethically and morally this is the most risk averse as a commuter i can be. And lets not lie to ourselves we take autonomous metros, planes and freaking elevators every day even though the complexity of the manoeuvres is less why at some point we need to accept the advancement of engineering and data treatment...as a human species we have done that for thousands of years.

Mrsrx

Mrsrx

Somehow a Member
    Staff member

more on this: if you look onto this its majorly developped countries and not india/lebanon/egypt/china

I saw mexico is at 27 per billion KMs to give and idea.
    4/Bmiles seems to be a good number that can only evolve to improve with intra car communications and all.
    Screenshot_20190517-120851~2.jpg

Another point is traffic jams would probably get better if we have go decentralized car AIs that would load balance and not soff 3a janab dawwé flasher nezil di2a jib kartounit bed w reji3...w faj2a betle2a bi eben khalte buying Buzz coz dahir 3ashiye so we discuss we 3aj2a woslit la jounieh...

Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
    Orange Room Supporter
    more on this: if you look onto this its majorly developped countries and not india/lebanon/egypt/china

I saw mexico is at 27 per billion KMs to give and idea.
    4/Bmiles seems to be a good number that can only evolve to improve with intra car communications and all.
    View attachment 12562

Another point is traffic jams would probably get better if we have go decentralized car AIs that would load balance and not soff 3a janab dawwé flasher nezil di2a jib kartounit bed w reji3...w faj2a betle2a bi eben khalte buying Buzz coz dahir 3ashiye so we discuss we 3aj2a woslit la jounieh...
    Indeed traffic jams would get much better, even without a central coordination center. just having a constant flow without the sporadic zigzagging and the having an adrelanine rush at 20mph driver blocking a whole lane.

The more homogenous the better the flow