• Before posting an article from a specific source, check this list here to see how much the Orange Room trust it. You can also vote/change your vote based on the source track record.

Tesla Motors

Venom

Legendary Member
Tesla Motors, Inc. is an American company that designs, manufactures and sells electric cars and electric vehicle powertrain components.[3] Tesla Motors is a public company that trades on the NASDAQ stock exchange under the symbol TSLA.[4] After 10 years, Tesla posted profits for the first time during the first quarter of 2013.[5]

Tesla Motors first gained widespread attention by producing the Tesla Roadster, the first fully electric sports car.[6] The company's second vehicle was the Model S, a fully electric luxury sedan.[7]

Tesla also markets electric powertrain components, including lithium-ion battery packs, to automakers, including Daimler and Toyota.[8] Tesla's CEO, Elon Musk, has said he envisions Tesla as an independent automaker,[9] aimed at eventually offering electric cars at a price affordable to the average consumer.[10][11]

more info

http://www.teslamotors.com/models/design

sample car

first delivery expected next year, this company might change the world.

Stock price performance: :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Hameed

honda is a pioneer in electric cars and already released a consumer working model which you can buy, however,

one of electric cars flaws is that you have to change the battery every 2.5 to 3 years and it is ridiculously expensive.
also maintenance will only be held by the manufacturing company,
another one, electric cars are too quiet and this affects public safety, those are serious issues being studied
and last would be the availability of recharging stations and the time it takes to fully charge a battery and how much the battery will take you depends on the condition of the road and the driving habits <=== this last point is one idea

Venom

Legendary Member
Tesla Motors Inc soars as J.P. Morgan hikes target to $320

Tesla Motors Inc., the electric-car maker, jumped after Morgan Stanley more than doubled its projected price for the stock to $320, saying the company’s bid to disrupt the auto industry may also affect electric utilities.

The shares advanced 10.09 percent to $239.60 at 9:37 a.m. New York time. Tesla, which last week forecast a more than 55 percent increase in deliveries of its Model S sedans this year, has risen more than sixfold in the past 12 months.

Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk plans to provide details on a proposed “gigafactory” to produce lithium-ion batteries needed to make more affordable vehicles, he told Bloomberg TV last week.

its up 18% so far

kalel

Orange Room Supporter
Tesla Motors CEO confirms talks with Apple
Reuters | Feb 21, 2014, 12.28PM IST

Tesla Motors has had "conversations" with Apple, chief executive Elon Musk confirmed to Bloomberg TV.
DETROIT: Tesla Motors has had "conversations" with Apple, chief executive Elon Musk confirmed to Bloomberg TV on Thursday, responding to speculation that the iPhone and iPad maker had shown interest in the electric car company.

But Musk would not describe those talks, including whether they involved the possibility of an acquisition. He added that it is "very unlikely" that Tesla would be bought by any company.

"We need to stay super focused on creating a compelling mass-market electric car," Musk told Bloomberg TV when asked if he would ever sell the company.

"I'd be very concerned in any kind of acquisition scenario, whoever it is, that we would become distracted from that task, which has always been the driving goal of Tesla," he said.

The San Francisco Chronicle reported this week that Musk met Apple's top dealmaker in 2013. The report helped Tesla shares surge even as some analysts poured cold water on the prospect of a deal.

"Our sense is (Tesla) management might not like to be managed," Stifel analyst James Albertine said this week. "We also expect potential suitors may welcome some semblance of share price stabilization before negotiating price."

On Thursday, shares in Tesla rose as much as 11% on the Nasdaq to an all-time high of $215.21. The stock was up more than 9% at $211.85 in afternoon trading.

This jump came after Tesla reported better-than-expected results after market closed on Wednesday.

Source: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/tech/tech-news/hardware/Tesla-Motors-CEO-confirms-talks-with-Apple/articleshow/30780740.cms

A few days ago.. old numbers but big news if that actually happens..

honda is a pioneer in electric cars and already released a consumer working model which you can buy, however,

one of electric cars flaws is that you have to change the battery every 2.5 to 3 years and it is ridiculously expensive.
also maintenance will only be held by the manufacturing company,
another one, electric cars are too quiet and this affects public safety, those are serious issues being studied
and last would be the availability of recharging stations and the time it takes to fully charge a battery and how much the battery will take you depends on the condition of the road and the driving habits <=== this last point is one idea

The areas where you have made mistakes are highlighted in red. For one, batteries are replaced every 500,000km. You get an unlimited mileage warranty for 8 years, shipping back to factory (as that is the closest service station to Lebanon) in Netherlands is paid for, or engineers are flown out to you, again, Tesla pays for this
Your motor in an electric car NEVER dies. With regards to sound, you're able to hear traffic more. People do not listen for other cars in Beirut traffic, but rather look for them. You are also quiet and less noticeable by checkpoints
Range anxiety as they call it, disappears after the first two weeks. I've done work with Tesla, have exported Teslas to numerous countries where it isn't supported, not once has one returned. 90% of problems, and I quote Elon Musk, can be fixed by a software update. You can get 500km not that you're ever going to drive that much on a full charge, 4-6 hours, imagine electricity goes out (and you don't have a generator in your house yet you can somehow afford a Tesla), you sleep for 7-9 hours every night - you are bound to charge sooner or later and the charger stops wasting electricity after the car is fully charged. You can also have the car warm up at a certain time so if it's snowing, you can wake up, get a coffee, and your car is already warm. Take a petrol-powered car, and you'd need to waste petrol with the engine running to heat the car up, and the fumes would fill up your garage, with a Tesla, it can be sitting outside in the snow and be warm when you want it to be

With that said, if anyone is interested in obtaining a Tesla, I can help someone purchase, customize and ship one to Lebanon

Indie

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
Tesla, SolarCity Launch New Solar Roof Tiles
Elon Musk unveiled Friday the new customizable glass shingles, which will be integrated with Tesla's Powerwall 2.0 home battery unit.

BY DEE-ANN DURBIN, AP Auto Writer

Further broadening its reach beyond electric cars, Tesla Motors says it's going to sell solar roof tiles that are customizable and meant to look like a traditional roof. The energy-generating tiles would be a joint product with SolarCity, although the two companies have yet to complete a proposed merger.

The glass tiles, which come in four styles (for example, Tuscan Glass Tile), contain photovoltaic cells that Tesla says are invisible from the street. They're meant to power a home when integrated with Tesla's Powerwall, energy storage units for homes that are mounted on the wall or kept on the ground. The new version of Powerwall costs $5,500 but there was no price announced for the tiles at an unveiling Friday night .

Tesla Chairman and CEO Elon Musk reasons that many of the people who want to drive electric vehicles have an inherent interest in setting up cleaner energy systems in their homes and offices. He has estimated that one-fourth of Tesla owners currently have solar energy panels.

"The whole purpose of Tesla is to accelerate the advent of sustainable energy," Musk said at the event. He said the future he wants consists of the solar roof, energy storage and electric cars. "It's an obvious three-part solution."

In June, Tesla proposed buying SolarCity, the largest home solar-panel installer in the U.S., in an all-stock deal worth around $2.45 billion. Shareholders are expected to vote on the deal on Nov. 17.

The merger is controversial. Musk is also chairman of SolarCity, which is run by his cousins. Neither company has achieved sustained profitability, and both are operating in markets where demand is uncertain. Plug-in electric vehicles make up less than 1 percent of U.S. sales, and less than 1 percent of U.S. electricity generation comes from solar power, according to government data.

Earlier this month, Goldman Sachs downgraded Palo Alto, California-based Tesla's shares from "buy" to "neutral" and lowered its price target, saying the potential merger could delay the release of Tesla's next vehicle, the Model 3. The $35,000 car, which is critical for Tesla if it wants to become a mass-market car maker, is due out at the end of next year.

Some shareholders have even sued, claiming that the merger is an attempt by Musk to use one company to bail out another. Musk owns 26.5 percent of Tesla and 22 percent of SolarCity.

But Musk has called the deal a "no brainer." He says SolarCity's installation network and Tesla's global stores could provide customers with a one-stop shop for sustainable energy and transportation. If the deal goes through, San Mateo, California-based SolarCity will adopt Tesla's name and sell its solar panels alongside Tesla's power-storing batteries, which it has been marketing to homes and businesses since last year.

Earlier this week, during a conference call to discuss Tesla's third-quarter earnings, Musk said he's confident SolarCity would be cash-neutral or even a cash contributor in the fourth quarter if the companies merge. Tesla reported a $22 million profit in the third quarter; it was the company's first quarterly profit in three years. SolarCity lost $250 million in the second quarter. It reports third-quarter earnings in November. Tesla is scheduled to provide additional financial details about the merger on Nov. 1.

--Associated Press.

PUBLISHED ON: OCT 31, 2016

Tesla, SolarCity Launch New Solar Roof Tiles | Inc.com

Indie

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
SpaceX more interesting. Musk plans to have us on Mars by 2025.

I couldn't care less about going on Mars except for scientific research. We have a beautiful planet and we should save it from total destruction. Solar roof tiles are a great idea. And they would be perfect for Lebanon with all the sun we get (especially if they can manage to keep the traditional red color :p).

Dalzi

Legendary Member
I couldn't care less about going on Mars except for scientific research. We have a beautiful planet and we should save it from total destruction. Solar roof tiles are a great idea. And they would be perfect for Lebanon with all the sun we get (especially if they can manage to keep the traditional red color :p).
Not an advocate of space colonization :p "Birds don't soil their nests". Judging by my experience with solar power, people who haven't invested in it don't know how much money they're wasting. Solar roof tiles for a new roof! :stop:

But that space stuff is interesting ;)

Indie

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
Not an advocate of space colonization :p "Birds don't soil their nests". Judging by my experience with solar power, people who haven't invested in it don't know how much money they're wasting. Solar roof tiles for a new roof! :stop:

But that space stuff is interesting ;)

You mean wasting money on solar power or wasting money if they don't invest in solar power?

JeanH

Orange Room Supporter
how efficient are they, i mean if they are better than petrol cars everyone would drive them, i dont think they are much good in mountainous terrains, they drain faster

how efficient are they

Battery to wheel efficiency: About 68%
Tank to wheel efficiency: About 16%

Which means electric motors are about 4x more efficient than combustion engines.
Consider the Tesla Model S, which has an available 85kWh battery and a 265 mile range.

Consider a similar gas-powered car, which gets 35 mpg.

Gasoline contains about 33kwh of energy per gallon.

The Tesla uses 320 Wh/mile of energy (85kWh/265 miles)

The gas powered car uses 940 Wh/mile of energy (33kWh/35 miles)

Once the energy is onboard (not counting the efficiency of the power generation, oil refining, or charging), the Tesla is using only about a third as much energy as the comparable gasoline-powered car.

i mean if they are better than petrol cars everyone would drive them

upload_2016-11-8_14-34-15.png

This is the starting price, minus the 21% VAT in Europe, or the (proposed but not implemented) complete reduction in duties in Lebanon for electric vehicles. I live in London, and I don't see myself making enough to buy a 64,300€ car (then again, I am a student and I sell stuff online for extra income, I live with parents). But if you can afford the car, you won't be spending on oil changes or repairs (8 year unlimited mileage warranty)

i dont think they are much good in mountainous terrains

Driving the Tesla P85D on Ice and Snow Is As Awesome As You Think

JeanH

Orange Room Supporter
Battery to wheel efficiency: About 68%
Tank to wheel efficiency: About 16%

Which means electric motors are about 4x more efficient than combustion engines.
Consider the Tesla Model S, which has an available 85kWh battery and a 265 mile range.

Consider a similar gas-powered car, which gets 35 mpg.

Gasoline contains about 33kwh of energy per gallon.

The Tesla uses 320 Wh/mile of energy (85kWh/265 miles)

The gas powered car uses 940 Wh/mile of energy (33kWh/35 miles)

Once the energy is onboard (not counting the efficiency of the power generation, oil refining, or charging), the Tesla is using only about a third as much energy as the comparable gasoline-powered car.

View attachment 7294

This is the starting price, minus the 21% VAT in Europe, or the (proposed but not implemented) complete reduction in duties in Lebanon for electric vehicles. I live in London, and I don't see myself making enough to buy a 64,300€ car (then again, I am a student and I sell stuff online for extra income, I live with parents). But if you can afford the car, you won't be spending on oil changes or repairs (8 year unlimited mileage warranty)

Driving the Tesla P85D on Ice and Snow Is As Awesome As You Think
yes i understand that most of the energy produced by a petrol engine is lost as heat,
from the info you provided i can see that they are efficient,
but since this a new technology its very expensive , anyone who has 65000 euros to spare for a car will most probably not buy a tesla and go for a mercedes since he doesnt really care about efficiency or maintenence cost, although ido think electric cars are more expensive to maintain (with everything new they try to rip you off untill someone does it for free)

anyone who has 65000 euros to spare for a car will most probably not buy a tesla and go for a mercedes

Tesla Model S, The Biggest Selling Luxury Car In Europe

Tesla Model S is the best-selling US luxury sedan, by a wide margin - Autoblog

Here's Why The Tesla Model S Is The #1 Selling Car In Norway

Apparently not

although ido think electric cars are more expensive to maintain

Oh yeah, no oil changes, 8 years warranty (longer than any car will last by itself, especially a Mercedes, unless you want some beaten up Da7ye taxi with 200,000km), so expensive. Brakes last 4 times longer, due to regenerative braking

with everything new they try to rip you off untill someone does it for free

What?

JeanH

Orange Room Supporter
Tesla Model S, The Biggest Selling Luxury Car In Europe

Tesla Model S is the best-selling US luxury sedan, by a wide margin - Autoblog

Here's Why The Tesla Model S Is The #1 Selling Car In Norway

Apparently not

Oh yeah, no oil changes, 8 years warranty (longer than any car will last by itself, especially a Mercedes, unless you want some beaten up Da7ye taxi with 200,000km), so expensive. Brakes last 4 times longer, due to regenerative braking

What?
sorry i meant some one will do it cheaper ...just like when a new car comes out and no one but the company can fix certain issues so they monopolise on it and hike up the prices then some mecanic figures it out and he charges way less.
TBH when hear the word warranty i am very wary of it , what does it cover ? what are the conditions?....

they monopolise on it and hike up the prices then some mecanic figures it out and he charges way less

Tesla Motors has faced dealership disputes in several U.S. states as a result of local laws. In the United States, direct manufacturer auto sales are prohibited in almost every state by franchise laws requiring that new cars be sold only by independent dealers. The electric car manufacturer Tesla Motors maintains that in order to properly explain to their customers the advantages their cars have over traditional vehicles with an internal combustion engine, they cannot rely on third party dealerships to handle their sales

Tesla Motors operates more than 200 stores and galleries around the world, 120 of which are outside the USA. It owns the stores and sells directly to customers via the internet and in non-US stores

Tesla has a low budget for marketing, and uses a referral program and word of mouth to attract buyers

TBH when hear the word warranty i am very wary of it

what does it cover

The Tesla Model S drive unit warranty has been increased to match that of the battery pack. That means the 85 kWh Model S, our most popular model by far, now has an 8 year, infinite mile warranty on both the battery pack and drive unit. There is also no limit on the number of owners during the warranty period.

Moreover, the warranty extension will apply retroactively to all Model S vehicles ever produced. In hindsight, this should have been our policy from the beginning of the Model S program. If we truly believe that electric motors are fundamentally more reliable than gasoline engines, with far fewer moving parts and no oily residue or combustion byproducts to gum up the works, then our warranty policy should reflect that.

To investors in Tesla, I must acknowledge that this will have a moderately negative effect on Tesla earnings in the short term, as our warranty reserves will necessarily have to increase above current levels. This is amplified by the fact that we are doing so retroactively, not just for new customers. However, by doing the right thing for Tesla vehicle owners at this early stage of our company, I am confident that it will work out well in the long term.

– Elon

what are the conditions?

You can't buy a Tesla from the US and ship it to Lebanon. I won't disclose how it's ordered, or how it's made to work in Lebanon (because the car is always connected to the internet, it drives itself, avoids potholes - yes, this has been tested and works in Lebanon), or how the maps are installed, but you buy the car, you drive it... Superchargers are free chargers all across Europe that stretch into southern Turkey. If you want to drive to Europe, you take a ferry from Tripoli to Turkey and from there it's free fuel all the way to London. Charging takes 20 mins, every 500km, which will give you enough time to grab a snack, use the bathroom and shake your arms and legs after driving for a couple of hours.

Tesla batteries are built into the car and last 500,000km, if you manage to exceed this, Tesla will replace the battery for you. Ideal car for taxi drivers.

upload_2016-11-8_18-1-52.png