The Attacks on (Mainly Female) Journalists During l 7irak/Sawra

H

HalaMadrid

Orange Room Supporter
One of the more disturbing elements of any uprising is the attack on media, but particularly on women. Lebanon's October Movement has been no different. Even though protests have been largely peaceful and with women at the forefront in some places, it's undeniable that every female reporter has faced bullying, harassment, and borderline sexual violence. Rima Hamdan, Halimaa Tabiaa, Joyce Akiki, Nawal Berri, and many many others. Misogyny is alive and well, both in the formal parties and among the 7irak. Prominent protest-supporting men who were raising the profile of the female-led nature of the movement repeatedly justified the attacks on Rima Hamdan because of the outlet she works for. Similarly from the formal parties with the attacks on Nawal Berri and Joyce Akiki. Many of the justifications were among people under age 40. It's mind boggling. To their credit, women from both sides condemned it. My purpose in opening the thread is three-fold:

1 - to share and consolidate in one place videos of these incidents
2 - to discuss how we can begin to combat the prevalence of misogyny in Lebanon (and in our communities generally); and
3 - to serve as a resource for members and non-members and to preempt the coverage about this that will cover only one side of the spectrum

What I'm NOT really interested in is a discussion of the merits of the media outlets and their coverage because I think that puts us back in the same place of justifying violence against journalists and women, in particular, based on whether we like their point of view or not.

I welcome non-women members to contribute, and in particular to discuss point #2.

• Advertisement
  • Dynamis

Dynamis

Orange Room Supporter
    One of the more disturbing elements of any uprising is the attack on media, but particularly on women. Lebanon's October Movement has been no different. Even though protests have been largely peaceful and with women at the forefront in some places, it's undeniable that every female reporter has faced bullying, harassment, and borderline sexual violence. Rima Hamdan, Halimaa Tabiaa, Joyce Akiki, Nawal Berri, and many many others. Misogyny is alive and well, both in the formal parties and among the 7irak. Prominent protest-supporting men who were raising the profile of the female-led nature of the movement repeatedly justified the attacks on Rima Hamdan because of the outlet she works for. Similarly from the formal parties with the attacks on Nawal Berri and Joyce Akiki. Many of the justifications were among people under age 40. It's mind boggling. To their credit, women from both sides condemned it. My purpose in opening the thread is three-fold:

1 - to share and consolidate in one place videos of these incidents
    2 - to discuss how we can begin to combat the prevalence of misogyny in Lebanon (and in our communities generally); and
    3 - to serve as a resource for members and non-members and to preempt the coverage about this that will cover only one side of the spectrum

What I'm NOT really interested in is a discussion of the merits of the media outlets and their coverage because I think that puts us back in the same place of justifying violence against journalists and women, in particular, based on whether we like their point of view or not.

I welcome non-women members to contribute, and in particular to discuss point #2.
    This is a post I just made. Apology, I had not seen this thread otherwise I would have posted it here.
    In this video, you have communist women attacking Rima Hamdan (My hero)
    I have posted a lot about this. The real 2abadeyet of this revolution, are the OTV female reporters. Chapeau Bas.

AtheistForJesus

AtheistForJesus

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    What's the purpose of this thread? The videos can be found on Youtube and have already been watched by everyone.

ّTelefon Kasse

ّTelefon Kasse

because the mainly female journalists mfakkrine 7alloun feminist sa3ideh ya ba wou da3wess ... nesyeen enno henneh bi mojtama3 mou7afez wou moujtama3 Arabeh mish mojtama3 el rejel fi ma 2elo 2imeh mitel Europe and USA

Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
    Orange Room Supporter
    because the mainly female journalists mfakkrine 7alloun feminist sa3ideh ya ba wou da3wess ... nesyeen enno henneh bi mojtama3 mou7afez wou moujtama3 Arabeh mish mojtama3 el rejel fi ma 2elo 2imeh mitel Europe and USA
    ya obbore kel “rejjl elo 2ime” tmanyak 3a hal banet ma byeswa fejle ekela khanzir 3melna menno bacon.

moujtama3 arabeh mohafez mech ya3ne btetmanyak 3al alsm w bta3mol abadayet

ّTelefon Kasse

ّTelefon Kasse

ya obbore kel “rejjl elo 2ime” tmanyak 3a hal banet ma byeswa fejle ekela khanzir 3melna menno bacon.
    moujtama3 arabeh mohafez mech ya3ne btetmanyak 3al alsm w bta3mol abadayet
    لما المرأة بتحترم [] وأنوثتها ما حدا بقرّب صوبها بس لما بدها تعملّ رجّال معليش بدّها تتلقّى ومش رجال اللي بيسمح لأمرأة تحطّله رسنّ وتجرّه متلّ الكلب حتى لو كان حجمه قدّ الدبّ يا "أكس-موديريتور" ههههه

Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
    Orange Room Supporter

لما المرأة بتحترم [] وأنوثتها ما حدا بقرّب صوبها بس لما بدها تعملّ رجّال معليش بدّها تتلقّى ومش رجال اللي بيسمح لأمرأة تحطّله رسنّ وتجرّه متلّ الكلب حتى لو كان حجمه قدّ الدبّ يا "أكس-موديريتور" ههههه
    يا حبيب القلب
    بشو ما كانوا محترمين حالون تفضل أتحفني

ّTelefon Kasse

ّTelefon Kasse

يا حبيب القلب
    بشو ما كانوا محترمين حالون تفضل أتحفني
    NO ONE STANDS IN THE FACE OF PEOPLE'S RIGHTS !! WHEN YOU HAVE ANGRY PEOPLE DEMANDING FOR THEIR BASIC RIGHTS.
    YOU DON'T PISS THEM OFF !! JUST TO DO THE ROLE OF A BODY GUARD FOR YOUR EMPLOYER SECTARIAN POLITICIAN
    ELSE THE IMAGE FOR THE ANGRY PEOPLE BECOMES BLURRY AND THEY DON'T MAKE A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A WOMAN.
    WHAT STANDS IN FRONT OF THEM IS A DEFENDER OF THE CORRUPT REGIME AND THEY WILL RECEIVE THE SAME TREATMENT OF THE CORRUPT
    POLITICIAN THEY ARE DEFENDING ON TV

Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
    Orange Room Supporter
    NO ONE STANDS IN THE FACE OF PEOPLE'S RIGHTS !! WHEN YOU HAVE ANGRY PEOPLE DEMANDING FOR THEIR BASIC RIGHTS.
    YOU DON'T PISS THEM OFF !! JUST TO DO THE ROLE OF A BODY GUARD FOR YOUR EMPLOYER SECTARIAN POLITICIAN
    ELSE THE IMAGE FOR THE ANGRY PEOPLE BECOMES BLURRY AND THEY DON'T MAKE A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A WOMAN.
    WHAT STANDS IN FRONT OF THEM IS A DEFENDER OF THE CORRUPT REGIME AND THEY WILL RECEIVE THE SAME TREATMENT OF THE CORRUPT
    3azim so your problem is political and has nothing to do with the reporters being male or female, and ur attacks on them being female are baseless

learn to articulate your thoughts in a more coherent way, you are taking from my bacon eating time

Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove

Nuclear War Expert
    Staff member
    Of the things which baffled me the most was seeing grown men insist on (platonically) kissing female reporters on air, either mid-interview or by sneaking up on them. Why in the world would anyone feel this kind of behaviour is okay?

Tayyar9

Tayyar9

Legendary Member
    Smalla 3alek w 3a people's rights

ّTelefon Kasse

ّTelefon Kasse

Of the things which baffled me the most was seeing grown men insist on (platonically) kissing female reporters on air, either mid-interview or by sneaking up on them. Why in the world would anyone feel this kind of behaviour is okay?
    Because they don't have money to get married !! so3beh kteer ? anyway, those reporters are hideous not even kissable nor up to my standard of beauty !!
    wel jeemleh elloun .. sha3eb mou3ak !!

ّTelefon Kasse

ّTelefon Kasse

3azim so your problem is political and has nothing to do with the reporters being male or female, and ur attacks on them being female are baseless
    my attacks ?! ... I wasn't the one who wrote the title of the thread !! male or female, they defend the corrupt politcians that employed them to do their media war against the great Lebanese people .. they will be beaten no exception !! iza hal2ad khayef 3ala shou3our haydol el 7areem dobbon bel beit wou ma tnazeloun 3al shere3 wod7eet !! wou khaleh abou sandal wou taweb3o eyrou7o ya3emlo ma7ekem dod el el siyesseen el fessdine mish dod el sha3eb !!
    learn to articulate your thoughts in a more coherent way, you are taking from my bacon eating time
    my thoughts are articulated from birth , I just can't tolerate journalists prostitution !! we are not foufou !! we are real men !!
    if you don't have one, go look for one !! yalla za7eet !! fashar 3ala atkhan rass bel dawleh el lebneniyeh el zbeleh yed3asso rassna
    bi 2awaneen salibiyeh !!

Tayyar9

Tayyar9

Legendary Member
    my attacks ?! ... I wasn't the one who wrote the title of the thread !! male or female, they defend the corrupt politcians that employed them to do their media war against the great Lebanese people .. they will be beaten no exception !! iza hal2ad khayef 3ala shou3our haydol el 7areem dobbon bel beit wou ma tnazeloun 3al shere3 wod7eet !! wou khaleh abou sandal wou taweb3o eyrou7o ya3emlo ma7ekem dod el el siyesseen el fessdine mish dod el sha3eb !!

my thoughts are articulated from birth , I just can't tolerate journalists prostitution !! we are not foufou !! we are real men !!
    if you don't have one, go look for one !! yalla za7eet !! fashar 3ala atkhan rass bel dawleh el lebneniyeh el zbeleh yed3asso rassna
    bi 2awaneen salibiyeh !!
    rou2 rou2 ya rambo

ّTelefon Kasse

ّTelefon Kasse

صار حزب الله وأمل والتيار بدّهم يحاسبوا الشعب على تصرّفاته ... بكل بساطة بس يعتمّدوا المذيعين الحيادية السياسية ما حدا بيتعرضّلهم ... خلصنا ضبّوا []

Last edited by a moderator:
    H

HalaMadrid

Orange Room Supporter
    Yeah. This was particularly weird. Like when zein el omr did it to halima tabiaa then caught himself. I don't understand they're neither your pets nor your children. Does that need to be clarified to folks?

H

HalaMadrid

Orange Room Supporter
    What's the purpose of this thread? The videos can be found on Youtube and have already been watched by everyone.
    Do approved threads have to be justified each time ta 7adder 7ale next time? The purpose is stated above. I suppose I thought the harassment and maltreatment of women in media deserved deeper conversation than just video shares in an updates thread. Perhaps about the systemic/representational issues that turn some people into misogynistic ****s when they encounter a woman they disagree with. Like, I really don't think Samir Sfeir would've been screaming "3ohr" at a male reporter like a goddamn lunatic and I don't think the men gesturing at Rima Hamdan would've done that to a (straight) male reporter. And I think it'd be fun (yikes) to discuss it with other Lebanese on these here interwebs. But maybe I'm wrong and this really isn't the space for it. Who says it isn't women-friendly :)

Separately, I know this is less relevant for members who mostly use this site conversationally, but the oroom often pops up as a top hit in a google search when looking for really niche Lebanon-related things. So I thought a thread would be a helpful one-stop-shop for those of us who usually use this site as that kind of resource.