The best treatment for alcoholism

I'm curious about alcoholism. Its because my father-in-law is already an alcoholic. He drinks every day and can't stay focus if he stops. It has a bad effect on his behavior. He easily gets mad when drunk. Do you know the best treatment for alcoholism? Are there home remedies too?

• Advertisement
  • Indie

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    I'm curious about alcoholism. Its because my father-in-law is already an alcoholic. He drinks every day and can't stay focus if he stops. It has a bad effect on his behavior. He easily gets mad when drunk. Do you know the best treatment for alcoholism? Are there home remedies too?
    The only real "treatment" is that he has to be willing to change; and, for that, he has to be willing to work through all the difficult thoughts, feelings, memories, and circumstances that he's trying to escape from by drinking.

Once he is ready and willing to stop drinking, there are many books, therapies, and therapists that can help him along the way. But if he is not fully comitted to the process, none of that will help.

Skunk

Orange Room Supporter
    If he smokes, let him try Marijuana.
    It does the job alright for him, and you won’t see the same aggressive behavior.

Win win

Skunk

Orange Room Supporter
    win win? yes, for the local marijuana dealer.
    Granted you’re trading an addiction with another, turning a drinker into a stoner.

However on the longer term it’s a cheaper alternative, especially if he lives in a country with high taxes on alcohol.
    Besides, the OP seems mostly annoyed by the aggressive behavior.
    Cannabis can fix the issue for him rather quickly.

mrsrx

Orange Room Supporter
    Granted you’re trading an addiction with another, turning a drinker into a stoner.

However on the longer term it’s a cheaper alternative, especially if he lives in a country with high taxes on alcohol.
    Besides, the OP seems mostly annoyed by the aggressive behavior.
    Cannabis can fix the issue for him rather quickly.
    Weed is lightly addictive (mostly psychological and the tobacco mix).
    I hope he lives in a country where THC products (as there is vaping with no nicotine if he is not a smoker or bongs) are tolerated/allowed as the habit would be hard to sustain in a strict country.

In general i agree and if he likes it the better as it will cause horrific moments if mixed with alcohol badly and would make the person never want to mix the two ever again! ...so i heard of course :)

@dripstraws We are saying that coz i am sure you have heard it all about the power of will and all that! I am sure he has some psychological demons and that is why he drinks...alcohol does the trick to relieve that but weed does it way better and is less harmful to him and his entourage ...

Skunk

Orange Room Supporter
    Weed is lightly addictive (mostly psychological and the tobacco mix).
    I hope he lives in a country where THC products (as there is vaping with no nicotine if he is not a smoker or bongs) are tolerated/allowed as the habit would be hard to sustain in a strict country.

In general i agree and if he likes it the better as it will cause horrific moments if mixed with alcohol badly and would make the person never want to mix the two ever again! ...so i heard of course :)

@dripstraws We are saying that coz i am sure you have heard it all about the power of will and all that! I am sure he has some psychological demons and that is why he drinks...alcohol does the trick to relieve that but weed does it way better and is less harmful to him and his entourage ...
    I’m aware of how lightly addictive canabis is, however for a person using it as an alternative to an existing addiction will instantly becomes an addiction, even though i do advise for mixing it with tobacco: cheaper and yields a smoother effect/result.

I totally agree on what you said concerning mixing alcohol and weed.
    Long story short, they don’t mix well. And he’s going to end up feeling sick rather quickly.

Well the whole point is stopping him from drinking alcohol, canabis can do that.

Isabella

The Queen Of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    As indie said the only possible way out of alcoholism for your father in law is him deciding he wants to be sober, and he needs to make that decision every single day. You don't just cure alcoholism, the brain doesn't just get rewired and forget about the endless nights spent binge drinking, it's a lifelong commitment to sobriety.

Maybe you can organise an intervention or something and explain to him along with help from his family of course that his behaviour is damaging to him, his family to his mental health. Coupled with information on alcoholism and maybe some rehab centers in and around where he lives to help him quit drinking, however he needs to come to that decision on his own so unfortunately the most you can do is tell him that his behaviour is damaging to him and everyone around him and hope for the best.

Dark Angel

Legendary Member
    Wats ur problem with marijuana anyway?

I never could put my finger on it, so do tell us
    you couldn't put your finger on it because i have never talked about it, you simply assumed i must have a problem with marijuana and built your perspective on it, the reality is that you simply have no clue where i stand on that.

Iron Maiden

you couldn't put your finger on it because i have never talked about it, you simply assumed i must have a problem with marijuana and built your perspective on it, the reality is that you simply have no clue where i stand on that.
    Thx for saying what i just said in an extra 3 sentences :p

I only see you attacking pro marijuana posters in a very passive aggressive way every now and then, so pardon me if i assumed that you have an anti marijuana stance

Dark Angel

Legendary Member
    Thx for saying what i just said in an extra 3 sentences :p

I only see you attacking pro marijuana posters in a very passive aggressive way every now and then, so pardon me if i assumed that you have an anti marijuana stance
    you saw me attacking pro marijuana posters but you saw nothing wrong with suggesting marijuana as a remedy for alcoholism given to someone who is seeking advice on the subject??

Iron Maiden

you saw me attacking pro marijuana posters but you saw nothing wrong with suggesting marijuana as a remedy for alcoholism given to someone who is seeking advice on the subject??
    The post was absolutely correct, to help alleviate anger and anxiety issues, marijuana is a great step in the right direction.

OP said alcoholism is related to anger issues, as per usual, so why no teach the man how to get over his behavioral problem via a CBD injection. Not all marijuana derivatives contain THC and many are prescribed by psychs.

So the ball's inur court

Muki

Orange Room Supporter
    Talk to his doctor -- his doctor will assess his situation and recommend best course of treatment. There are behavioral treatments, medications, support groups, etc.

But all of that won't matter if he does not admit he has a problem, and that alcoholism is impacting him and the relationships in his life.

mrsrx

Orange Room Supporter
    Disclaimer:
    I think everyone here that talked about marijuana is mentioning it as a last ditch effort to replace a substance abuse by another that is less harmful and more pleasant to him and to his surrounding based on the symptoms described.
    All that assuming that all classic ways have been tried like asking him, seeing a doctor, intervention, rehab, support groups, psy treatment ...and the person is not willing or cannot make any progress. Someone who likes to drink for any reason other than whiskey tasting is likely to be helped by subtitute substances (same with H to Oxy, Cig to gum.... Alcohol is to W)