• Before posting an article from a specific source, check this list here to see how much the Orange Room trust it. You can also vote/change your vote based on the source track record.

The best treatment for alcoholism

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
Orange Room Supporter
To smoke hashish and get the best out of it, one needs to be in a good, preferably top notch mood.
Whatever you already have inside you the THC trip will only amplify. So, if you already suffer from anxiety, it may exponentially increase, leading to a psychic supernova. I wouldn't advice an anxious soul to smoke the 7asis (which is 7ashish's main effect ). It usually breaks what already is extremely fragile.
True, thats whyi am advocating for very low THC variants. The mood regulation comes from CBD.

But also to run the idea with a physician obviously

The only real "treatment" is that he has to be willing to change; and, for that, he has to be willing to work through all the difficult thoughts, feelings, memories, and circumstances that he's trying to escape from by drinking.

Once he is ready and willing to stop drinking, there are many books, therapies, and therapists that can help him along the way. But if he is not fully committed to the process, none of that will help.

That's another problem. I'm not sure if he will be willing to change and quit drinking. But, I'll try to discuss it with my husband. I'm hoping that his father will commit to the process and undergo treatment soon. By the way, our neighbor is recommending a therapist while I encounter a page here (Depression. Causes, Tips & Advice For The Disorder | BetterHelp) that might help my father-in-law.

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
Orange Room Supporter
It's called the placebo effect.
Theres nothing wrong with placebo effects. If u need to trick ur mind into feeling better whether with praying or meditation or yoga.., than by jove do it.

Bears any chemical u have to introduce into ur system

The Bidenator

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
Theres nothing wrong with placebo effects. If u need to trick ur mind into feeling better whether with praying or meditation or yoga.., than by jove do it.

Bears any chemical u have to introduce into ur system

Did I say something was wrong with placebo effects?
I was just giving a more technical term to describe benefits people think they derived from "praying."

Indie

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
It's called the placebo effect.

The placebo effect happens when you fool someone and give them something they already believe in: medicine.

An alcoholic isn't someone who already believes in prayer; otherwise, he wouldn't be an alcoholic in the first place. Someone in that state will usually start praying as a last resort, and the mind full of doubt.

Indie

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
That's another problem. I'm not sure if he will be willing to change and quit drinking. But, I'll try to discuss it with my husband. I'm hoping that his father will commit to the process and undergo treatment soon. By the way, our neighbor is recommending a therapist while I encounter a page here (Depression. Causes, Tips & Advice For The Disorder | BetterHelp) that might help my father-in-law.

I wish you and your family the best. I know it is very difficult for you to be on the receiving end of this. When his behaviour becomes frustrating, try to remember that all that anger and agressiveness must hide a lot of pain. There is a scared little boy in there that needs a lot of love.

At the same time, don't put yourself at risk or allow yourself to be bullied. With caring but firmly, make him understand that he cannot mistreat you.

Some praying and therapy for you guys could be usefull as well.

Indie

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter

Perhaps your husband can write a caring letter to his father, explaining how his actions are hurting the family and assuring him that you all love him and simply want a good relationship with him and for him to feel better and happier. And that you are willing to work with him through the difficult process towards sobriety if he chooses to take that step.

If he does, remember that things won't happen overnight or in a straight line. There will be steps forward and steps backwards, good days, and bad days...don't get discouraged :)

The Bidenator

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
The placebo effect happens when you fool someone and give them something they already believe in: medicine.

An alcoholic isn't someone who already believes in prayer; otherwise, he wouldn't be an alcoholic in the first place. Someone in that state will usually start praying as a last resort, and the mind full of doubt.

Prayer isn't a recommended treatment for alcoholism.
It doesn't help except people who already believe that prayer helps (in general). Hence why it's a placebo effect.

But, if we were to be more nuanced, not all prayer is created equal.
I wouldn't equate praying to become a better person with praying for a good parking spot at the mall, for example... and while both are the same action, there are different outcomes as a result of prayer. So while prayer is largely a placebo effect, the circumstances of prayer determine whether a prayer will be more than a placebo effect.

Indie

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
It doesn't help except people who already believe that prayer helps (in general). Hence why it's a placebo effect.

I wouldn't equate praying to become a better person with praying for a good parking spot at the mall, for example... and while both are the same action, there are different outcomes as a result of prayer. So while prayer is largely a placebo effect, the circumstances of prayer determine whether a prayer will be more than a placebo effect.

You are just repeating the same thing in different words. You did not address my argument.

But we agree that there are different types of prayers. Prayer is not supposed to be about getting a good parking spot or winning the lottery or other such matters.

GrumpForTrump

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
Alcohol is much more dangerous than marijuana. 50% of road accidents are caused by alcohol impaired drivers.

If you have an anti-marijuana stance but you aren't campaigning for the banning of alcohol, then you're a hypocrite.

GrumpForTrump

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
Funny, I received an anti-drug awareness message from the Ministry of Health the minute I finished writing my post :lol:
The timing was hilarious.

joseph_lubnan

Legendary Member

I get it but maybe not the perfect example. If you pray for that parking spot, perhaps you would be less agitated while looking and thus have a better chance of landing one :) still a placebo effect on you as you are an active participant.

A better example would be praying for rain :) don't think the rain is taking a placebo :)