• Before posting an article from a specific source, check this list here to see how much the Orange Room trust it. You can also vote/change your vote based on the source track record.

The Dark Side of Dubai

freemind

Didn't waste my time to read all the article,, as it looks from the start that its full of exaggeration.
I'm in Dubai since almost 17 years,, I have lots of friends and believe I haven't heard such stories.
I can agree on the life that the Asian workers live but not any other story been written by this writer..
The article lack of objectivity ,, this is the less to say.

freemind said:
Say a Pakistani worker is looking to get employed in a Dubaii company, the company sends over a contract with all details; the average Paksitani citizen studies the contract very well since its his life at stake, right?; the average Pakistani would ask of the Dubaii company, he'll make sure everything is leagal and that the company is well known, he'll then ask off other compatriots that have raced him to Dubaii; he'll phone some, make sure conditions are ok there, its his life at stake again.

After having done all that the average pakistani citizen would consider signing the contract, and maybe depart to Dubai.

Now say the company at Dubai turned out to be treaturous, and faked the whole thing illeagaly just to get the average Pakistani into Dubaii teritory and handcuff him into work unhumnaly. It could pass say; maybe many cases could pass, many passports could be stolen off the workers, many felonies could be committed; but don't you think that at a certain point such illeagal actions would end up uncovered and widely known to the public? Do you think that workers from the far east are so ignorant that they'd still be pouring into the gulf with all this unhuman zoo running?

To be objective Taifoon, you gotta admit something is not feasable in the article, something is a bit biased driven by emotions at certain points. I surely do not deny the running dictatorships in the gulf neither do i deny the unhumanly behavior of the rulers of those dictatorships, but you gotta recognize that the west is at economic odds with some of the Gulf countries, you gotta recognize that some of this could be propaganda in favor of the west these days.

haram freemind, you could've given him a 'thank you' click.

Shah Massoud

There is no Dark side of Dubai.....like any country of the world , it has it plus and minus....

but what Dubai Does have is a 'fake' side...and this no one disagrees about..

Nayla

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
ABC News Exclusive: Torture Tape Implicates UAE Royal Sheikh

[VBTUBE]z2W5rbF8hLU[/VBTUBE]​

ABC News Exclusive: Torture Tape Implicates UAE Royal Sheikh

Police in Uniform Join In as Victim Is Whipped, Beaten, Electrocuted, Run Over by SUV

By VIC WALTER, REHAB EL-BURI, ANGELA HILL and BRIAN ROSS
April 22, 2009

A video tape smuggled out of the United Arab Emirates shows a member of the country's royal family mercilessly torturing a man with whips, electric cattle prods and wooden planks with protruding nails.
An investigation into a savage torture by a royal family member of a close ally.

A man in a UAE police uniform is seen on the tape tying the victim's arms and legs, and later holding him down as the Sheikh pours salt on the man's wounds and then drives over him with his Mercedes SUV.

In a statement to ABC News, the UAE Ministry of the Interior said it had reviewed the tape and acknowledged the involvement of Sheikh Issa bin Zayed al Nahyan, brother of the country's crown prince, Sheikh Mohammed.

"The incidents depicted in the video tapes were not part of a pattern of behavior," the Interior Ministry's statement declared.

The Minister of the Interior is also one of Sheikh Issa's brother.

The government statement said its review found "all rules, policies and procedures were followed correctly by the Police Department."

Original story:
ABC News Exclusive: Torture Tape Implicates UAE Royal Sheikh - ABC News