The Illegal National Pact, the Taef Accord and the Roadmap towards Uprooting the Confessional System and Implementing a Civil State

oldschool

oldschool

Shiites think the 43 system kept them down. Why are they still in the suburbs? And they’ve been powerful for 40 years now, are they satisfied now?

The truth is, in 1943 Christians had been having ties with the west for centuries and were leaving there and making money and trading. Even under ottoman rule Christians sometimes had more success because of those cultural ties that facilitated their trade

Sunnis were favored by ottomans and had the Arab countries.

Shiites didn’t have that. Now that they started going to Africa and other places they’re starting to catch up.

It wasn’t the system keeping them down. And the system wasn’t ruled by Christians. When Muslims had a problem with something they would bring down the government or even the president.

The Muslims simply couldn’t accept the image of the system even though the reality was actually as good as it gets for a country like Lebanon.

Even now the best solution would be to be ruled by Christians because the Sunnis and Shiites are totally subordinated to Iran and Saudi while Christians don’t have any country now supervising them.

• Advertisement
  • Rafidi

Rafidi

Legendary Member
    Shiites think the 43 system kept them down. Why are they still in the suburbs? And they’ve been powerful for 40 years now, are they satisfied now?

The truth is, in 1943 Christians had been having ties with the west for centuries and were leaving there and making money and trading. Even under ottoman rule Christians sometimes had more success because of those cultural ties that facilitated their trade

Shiites didn’t have that. Now that they started going to Africa and other places they’re starting to catch up.

It wasn’t the system keeping them down. And the system wasn’t ruled by Christians. When Muslims had a problem with something they would bring down the government or even the president.

The Muslims simply couldn’t accept the image of the system even though the reality was actually as good as it gets for a country like Lebanon.

Even now the best solution would be to be ruled by Christians because the Sunnis and Shiites are totally subordinated to Iran and Saudi while Christians don’t have any country now supervising them.
    Listen my friend, first this thread isnt the right place to for you to vent and launch a tirade against another sect out of whatever grudges, motivations or mood you are experiencing.

Secondly, that National Pact is a piece of shitty document by shitty and backward @$$holes of men whose aim was to institutionalize discrimination and apartheid through the infamous and shameful congressional system. This system was the source of civil war, poverty, marginalisation, oppression and deprivation. If such a document is proposed today, many would protest against it or even take up arms to reject it. Such a document should have been subjected to a referendum. How about we hold a referendum on the way forward. How about we conduct a census and count every Lebanese that holds a hawiyyeh and every foreign, using modern technology based on finger prints in a computer system that is centralized and can detect duplicate counting or cheating?

Some or maybe many (when they dont get their way to suck money from the state) are calling for federalism and it is their right to even call for suicide to be legalized. I have no problem with their calls. How about our leaders get used to the concept or idea of resorting to the people to legitimize their rule and their governance and their decisions in the state? How about we subject federalism to a referendum? Why are the people absent from deciding what should be the way forward? Scotland held a referendum to decide whether it should leave the UK or stay after centuries of being under a monarchy. Why cant I determine the future of my own country? Do I really belong to this country? Is it really a country we have? Which side or which party refuses the concept of evolving into statehood with one state for all under the rule of law and is imposing its ill conceived sectarian preferential treatment for itself through sectarian cantons and discrimination on the rest of the population? The same side that wakes up and chooses an apartheid confessional system yesterday, which led to the destruction of our future collectively and today wants federalism. You want federalism? Be my guest. Hold a referendum and let us really know what people want. Simple.

As a Lebanese citizen, I find my voice almost completely absent in the grand scheme of affairs. Every four years, I am asked to give mandate to some men who would rule on my behalf as they please and share the country's resources among themselves and levy high taxes on me and make policies to further enslave the rest of the population. These men have immunity from prosecution even if or when they tamper with my hard earned deposits in banks or deny me my rights. The people dont have any immunity from their misrule and illegalities. They have twice extended their mandate for a total of nine years without elections or going back to the people. It is time to go back to the people.

Of course, Shiite Lebanese do have a major problem with the 1943 National Pact. And you shouldn't be surprised when the largest sect in the country makes it today an undeclared rule that they must have a say on which monkey is president and which baboon is prime minister! You cant exclude a major segment of the population from the executive arm and think you have a silly document, based on a charade of a 1932 census to legitimize an apartheid like system. That is rubbish. Use your National Racist Pact and shove it!

You should be thankful we have, for decades being distracted with the fight against occupation. The major party representing my community cant even suggest that we should hold a sovereign conference to determine the future of the country and how it should be governed and how to fully implement the Taef Accord, improve the system, abolish it or transform it. If that party makes a slight suggest, hell would break loose and others would blackmail it that it wants to impose change through its arms. So, they feel compelled to shut up and accept the mess and not be seen as imposing anything on others. Imagine there was no Israehell, no threat of ocuaption/invasion. Do you think anyone of us Shiite Lebanese would be happy to be excluded by law from the helm of affairs? Do you think we would have maintained silence and not uproot the entire system and trample on with our feet? The Taef Accord was reached and it sets a road map to transition into a civil state. To this day, we stil have a confessional system. Why? If you want to accuse me that I am calling for a secular state or a civil state because the numbers are on my side, well, I can also accuse you that you want to subjugate me and that is what you have always done. You dont want a fair system and you dont want to give birth. Who's to blame? Why is it my problem if you are impotent? In which country on earth are citizens legally excluded from major posts in government because they belong to this or that sect or ethnicity or race? The concept in and of itself is archaic, retrogressive and based on discrimination or I should describe it as racist.

We have not only been excluded from government, but even our history as a country has been falsified. Our history as Lebanon has been falsified because the other Lebanese have chosen to unwrite the history of this land. We only recount history from the crusaders, the Mamluks, the Ottomans and the French rule; or the post Shia era up till independence. Even those periods are misrepresented. We are not taught that before the Crusades, there were Shia Emirates in Tripoli, in Keserwan, in Batroon, in Jbeil, in Chouf, in the Beqaa and on every spot of this country, from Tripoli to Tyr, there were Shiite dynasties ruling, and those periods were the first form and emergence of administrative rule by any modern indigenous Lebanese group of today. That period is totally blanked out and I blame my people for keeping quiet on that ancient past. We need to start teaching our history in schools. The first community, among the modern Lebanese to form government in the land. It was not a mere presence of pastoral settlements we had or agrarian communities or feudal dynasties paying homemmage to foreign empires. These were indigenous and self ruled Emirates. They were undone by foreign invaders (the crusades and Mamluks), who kept subjugating an indigenous people in the land. It was centralized administrations. That past is Lebanese history and must be taught, shared and embraced. You must embrace it. Our history didnt start with Fakhreddine and his emirate in Mount Lebanon becaude there were Shia emirates that preceded his from Tripoli to Mount Lebanon to the South. And our history didnt start with the Ottomans or with the French or with the Maronites. We as Shiites are a part of this country and our history and activities and governance through independent governing entities dates back to before the crusades. When you want to narrate the history of modern Lebanon, our presence on this land and the presence of our ancestors, from the Banu Amilah in the 4th century to the Hamadanis in the 7th century to the Harsfoush, Banu Ammar and others in later centuries must be recounted. Our presence and governance launched what became modern Lebanon. And the history of modern Lebanon must thus be narrated and embraced.

I have no problem with having a Christian become president with full executive power and in a presidential system with the president voted for by the people. But if a Christian or an atheist or a Druze or a Buddhist must become president, that president cant function properly or feel empowered and strong if his mandate is not from the people. If I didnt vote for you, you are a ruler and not a leader. Even if the party or the MP I chose voted for you. Indirect voting and relegating the people to the back seat produce rulers and not leaders. The people of Lebanon should feel free, empowered and respected in their country. And all of them should be able to live together as one nation and to determine their destiny. You cant expect foreign powers not to cause divisions and create enmity among us when those we surrender our future and mandate to every four years have absolute powers and these same men can be bought over by foreign countries and sold. Let power return to the people. In fact, it isnt returning because the Lebanese have never had power in their hands to decide the future of their country collectively. Let the people take over their power. Power should belong to the people, not to the sects or the blocs or the parties or the feudal lords or even the MPs, but to the people. The people should have the power to decide on everything. We can start with a census under strict guidelines using technology (let's count Lebanese within and outside Lebanon who hold IDs and let's know who do not hold IDs), so we do not have cheating and we can start with a referendum to determine the future.

Last edited:
    Steven Gerrard

Steven Gerrard

Shia, sunnis, maronites, orthodox, druze and others are f*cked and poor. It doesn't matter who is more politically stronger. The people regardless of sects are living in poverty at the moment. The middle class in Lebanon is gone and the only one who are actually living comfortably are the Lebanese diaspora who work outside of Lebanon.

We keep fighting with each other and forget that our neighbors screwed us from the very beginning, yet you have people who think Bashar Al Assad is a savior and our best mate, and others who think Israel is some sort of liberal democracy who wants peace with Lebanon. Tla3o min hal tefkir, they couldn't give a rat's @rse about us, their only existence is to bully us and screw us while brainwashing our own into joining their cause. haven't we had enough?

Nonan

Nonan

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Who is the longest serving president under the 1943 pact? Hraoui? Nan, barely 9 years ? Khariri? Nan, 10 years for the father, 6 or 7 for the son.
    Our very own istoz baltaji Nabih Berri, for 28 years...
    But yes, Shiites are marginalized by the Christians and the Sunnites...

Rafidi

Rafidi

Legendary Member
    Who is the longest serving president under the 1943 pact? Hraoui? Nan, barely 9 years ? Khariri? Nan, 10 years for the father, 6 or 7 for the son.
    Our very own istoz baltaji Nabih Berri, for 28 years...
    But yes, Shiites are marginalized by the Christians and the Sunnites...
    Shu khas? Walid Jumblatt has served in parliament longer than Berri. So what?

NewLeb

NewLeb

I think any new pact MUST take into consideration the different sects and religious identities in Lebanon.

You can’t just forgo thousands of years of human history and development. It makes a difference!

I’d much rather have a Christian rule Lebanon than a Shiite, unless the Shiite in question wasn’t your “typical” Shiite. But even then, I’d still be somewhat apprehensive.

Rafidi

Rafidi

Legendary Member
    Sleiman Frangieh?
    Habibi, stay on topic.

The parliament speaker according to the illegal and unconstitutional National Pact that was imposed on the nation without recourse to the people or holding a referendum, should always be Shia.

There is also no tenure limitation for the speaker. So if one man stays 100 years as speaker, it is not against any law.

Nabih Berri is one man, not an entire sect. It looks like the best past time hobby for Aounists whenever any topic of national importance is raised is to deflect, troll and bring in Nabih Berri into every discussion. But all of you are too coward to even stage a small protest in front of Ain el Tineh.

This thread is not about Nabih Berri. It is not about one man. It is about the system we find ourselves in post independence. If it suits one man, it doesnt mean it suits all Shias or all Lebanese. In 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 years, Nabih Berri will be no more. But the system in place might remain. What do we do about this outdated, archaic, backward, uncivilized, expired, apartheid system? Dont try to be silly by seeking to be smart or by trying to outsmart your tiny brain. Stay on topic. And the topic is very clear about what it is.

Last edited:
    Rafidi

Rafidi

Legendary Member
    I think any new pact MUST take into consideration the different sects and religious identities in Lebanon.

You can’t just forgo thousands of years of human history and development. It makes a difference!

I’d much rather have a Christian rule Lebanon than a Shiite, unless the Shiite in question wasn’t your “typical” Shiite. But even then, I’d still be somewhat apprehensive.
    Historically, certain groups got political influence and political power through invaders. The crusades and French empowered Christians. The Mamluks and Ottomans vis a vis the caliphate empowered Sunnis. But there was one indigenous group in Lebanon that started a local governing system or a local administration without foreign empowerment. That group was the Shia starting from the 7th century. They had several emirates throughout Lebanon, from Tripoli to Jbeil and Keserwan to Tyr. If you are not comfortable with living alongside your fellow countrymen, and you either always want preferential treatment or foreign empowerment through invaders, why not just leave? I'm not saying you should leave. But if you cant coexist, why not leave? For example, to this day, many Lebanese Sunnis still hold their Turkish citizenship and hold on to their Turkish and Kurdish roots from the days of the Ottomans. I'm not saying that is wrong since many Lebanese hokd dual citizenship. But for the majority, Lebanon is the only country they can dream of. They have no where else to call home. So you can enforce your prejudices and insecurities on the rest of the country.

O Brother

O Brother

Legendary Member
    LOL I love the title of the thread and I agree it is illegal by all means of it!

So lets translate the title of the thread..
    basically you are saying Lebanon is an illegal country and all governments and president and official institution are illegal since @ least 1943..

meaning your 3on is illegal president :lol: 🤣

Be careful with these title mods! :cigar:

Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
    Orange Room Supporter
    LOL I love the title of the thread and I agree it is illegal by all means of it!

basically you are saying Lebanon is an illegal country and all governments and president and official institution are illegal since @ least 1943..

hay2tak mta2al shereb 🙃

1590755250293.png

Rafidi

Rafidi

Legendary Member

Aoun's legality is a different topic entirely. Let's not even go into that. He declared the then expired parliament, which extended it's own mandate, "illegal". For the parliament to have legality, it must have legitimacy from the people. That parliament that voted for Aoun to become president lacked legitimacy. It extended its own mandate twice without going back to the people through the conduct of parliamentary election. Its four year mandate had long expired. This is a parliamentary system we have in place. You cant declare an entire parliament illegal today and tomorrow you claim to be president through the votes from that illegal parliament. This is the reason we need a new system, and we need the people to be the decision makers through direct elections, wherever and whenever an election is to take place.

The same can be said about the National Pact. One day they want confessional system and another day they want federalism. I am not saying you are not right to ask for anything. Feel free. But you cant impose anything on me, as I cant impose anything on you. In fact the current dispensation of the National Pact was imposed. It is illegal. This illegal foundation was what Sheikh Ahmad Qabalan referred to. Did you ask me, my father, my grandfather, my family, my village, my district, my province about this so called National Pact of yours? Did we have a role to play in it's formulation, or was it unilaterally or onsidedly formulated under the auspices of the French colonialists to subjugate me in my country? To me as a Shia, this set up was neither "national" nor a "pact". It was rape, a violation of my rights as a citizen and an abuse of my human rights. It is discriminatory and almost apartheid in its nature or content. For you to make a national agreement, the people or components of a nation like Lebanon must agree to it. There was no referendum.

Today, they also want to smuggle in their federalism heresy. I'm not against your calls. But today is different from 70 years ago. If you must apply anything on the national scale, you must seek my consent as a person and as a Lebanese subject in this union. You must conduct a referendum. We want a referendum. We want a census conducted through modern technological means for accuracy and to prevent falsification of results like in 1932. We want a civil state to live in as normal and equal citizens under one law. Otherwise, you cant impose anything and we wont allow for anything to be applied without consent or we wont allow for us to be violated again.

In fact, in light of the constitution of Lebanon, the so called National Pact is unconstitutional, which would render it illegal. There is no where in the constitution that makes it a law that a Shia cannot be president or Prime Minister. I am not saying a Shia must be. But similarly, there is no where in the constitution that it MUST always be a Maronite to be president or a Shia to be speaker or a Sunni to be PM. Until laws are respected and discrimination is thrown into the dustbin and the foundations of Lebanon are rectified, it would be almost impossible to have a modern state with law and order in Lebanon.

NewLeb

NewLeb

Historically, certain groups got political influence and political power through invaders. The crusades and French empowered Christians. The Mamluks and Ottomans vis a vis the caliphate empowered Sunnis. But there was one indigenous group in Lebanon that started a local governing system or a local administration without foreign empowerment. That group was the Shia starting from the 7th century. They had several emirates throughout Lebanon, from Tripoli to Jbeil and Keserwan to Tyr. If you are not comfortable with living alongside your fellow countrymen, and you either always want preferential treatment or foreign empowerment through invaders, why not just leave? I'm not saying you should leave. But if you cant coexist, why not leave? For example, to this day, many Lebanese Sunnis still hold their Turkish citizenship and hold on to their Turkish and Kurdish roots from the days of the Ottomans. I'm not saying that is wrong since many Lebanese hokd dual citizenship. But for the majority, Lebanon is the only country they can dream of. They have no where else to call home. So you can enforce your prejudices and insecurities on the rest of the country.
    I’m talking about how hundreds of years of socio-economic conditions can affect the individual psyche of someone from a particular community, and consequently, the community as a whole.

If I ran a financial company, I’m not going to hire a guy whose family has been picking potatoes for hundreds of years.

You can’t go from “local resistance movement from a poor and disenfranchised group” to “rulers of a modern state” in less than a generation.

In other words, you don’t hire a guy who looks like a khadarjeh to lead a nation;

2E66DD1E-A2A6-4A15-8810-870153A32495.jpeg

O Brother

O Brother

Legendary Member
    Aoun's legality is a different topic entirely. Let's not even go into that. He declared the then expired parliament, which extended it's own mandate, "illegal". For the parliament to have legality, it must have legitimacy from the people. That parliament that voted for Aoun to become president lacked legitimacy. It extended its own mandate twice without going back to the people through the conduct of parliamentary election. Its four year mandate had long expired. This is a parliamentary system we have in place. You cant declare an entire parliament illegal today and tomorrow you claim to be president through the votes from that illegal parliament. This is the reason we need a new system, and we need the people to be the decision makers through direct elections, wherever and whenever an election is to take place.

The same can be said about the National Pact. One day they want confessional system and another day they want federalism. I am not saying you are not right to ask for anything. Feel free. But you cant impose anything on me, as I cant impose anything on you. In fact the current dispensation of the National Pact was imposed. It is illegal. This illegal foundation was what Sheikh Ahmad Qabalan referred to. Did you ask me, my father, my grandfather, my family, my village, my district, my province about this so called National Pact of yours? Did we have a role to play in it's formulation, or was it unilaterally or onsidedly formulated under the auspices of the French colonialists to subjugate me in my country? To me as a Shia, this set up was neither "national" nor a "pact". It was rape, a violation of my rights as a citizen and an abuse of my human rights. It is discriminatory and almost apartheid in its nature or content. For you to make a national agreement, the people or components of a nation like Lebanon must agree to it. There was no referendum.

Today, they also want to smuggle in their federalism heresy. I'm not against your calls. But today is different from 70 years ago. If you must apply anything on the national scale, you must seek my consent as a person and as a Lebanese subject in this union. You must conduct a referendum. We want a referendum. We want a census conducted through modern technological means for accuracy and to prevent falsification of results like in 1932. We want a civil state to live in as normal and equal citizens under one law. Otherwise, you cant impose anything and we wont allow for anything to be applied without consent or we wont allow for us to be violated again.

In fact, in light of the constitution of Lebanon, the so called National Pact is unconstitutional, which would render it illegal. There is no where in the constitution that makes it a law that a Shia cannot be president or Prime Minister. I am not saying a Shia must be. But similarly, there is no where in the constitution that it MUST always be a Maronite to be president or a Shia to be speaker or a Sunni to be PM. Until laws are respected and discrimination is thrown into the dustbin and the foundations of Lebanon are rectified, it would be almost impossible to have a modern state with law and order in Lebanon.
    Hahah true and it isn't the first time aoun declared something as illegal only to join in the illegality after when it suited him and I mean the Taef here he was shouting and saying how illegal it was and how everything after taef is illegal yet here he is taking part in it since 2002!

As for the national pact and all what it was built on, it can not last or hold on for more than few decades...
    It is impossible for it to last as time change and regional politics change and shift of power changes etc!

Lebanon as far as I know never had referendums and the so called national pact can not allow referendums in a country like Lebanon!

I think a civil state is indeed what we need but not in the sense of how a civil state is defined by the Western world!
    We can not simply remove the religious aspect of our country when it is real and exist.. we don't have to deny who and what we are!

We just need to find a way where minorities and majorities can have their rights respected and be able to maintain their culture and way of life!

Not all people believe in the same things so how can we have a governing system that doesn't force a one system rule like the case today with all countries of the world!

Not everybody wants to live under a secularist governing system and not everybody want to live under religious based governing system!

So is there a solution for the two worlds to coexist with each others somehow!?

Rafidi

Rafidi

Legendary Member
    Hahah true and it isn't the first time aoun declared something as illegal only to join in the illegality after when it suited him and I mean the Taef here he was shouting and saying how illegal it was and how everything after taef is illegal yet here he is taking part in it since 2002!

As for the national pact and all what it was built on, it can not last or hold on for more than few decades...
    It is impossible for it to last as time change and regional politics change and shift of power changes etc!

Lebanon as far as I know never had referendums and the so called national pact can not allow referendums in a country like Lebanon!

I think a civil state is indeed what we need but not in the sense of how a civil state is defined by the Western world!
    We can not simply remove the religious aspect of our country when it is real and exist.. we don't have to deny who and what we are!

We just need to find a way where minorities and majorities can have their rights respected and be able to maintain their culture and way of life!

Not all people believe in the same things so how can we have a governing system that doesn't force a one system rule like the case today with all countries of the world!

Not everybody wants to live under a secularist governing system and not everybody want to live under religious based governing system!

So is there a solution for the two worlds to coexist with each others somehow!?
    I agree with your post to some extent.

However, in a country with much diversity, it is logical to demand that religion be kept away from public spheres.

Religion should be a private affair between man and God, and to increase his spirituality through that relationship with God and to prepare for his afterlife. It should not be converted into a political tool to play politics or incite religious sentiments in politics. Keep religion in the places of worship and at home. If we all can be employed in businesses and we leave religion aside to work together for the common good and to make money, likewise we can operate the country in that type of atmosphere.

Take for instance the question of marriage. In a secular state, you go to the marriage registry and sign a document and you are husband and wife. If afterwards or before, you need a priest or an Imam to solemnize your marriage, you get the cleric to your house or you go to a place of worship to perform the religious rites. How you choose to apply your faith or beliefs is not the business of the state. It is a private affair. And you may choose not to do any religious rites. It is enough to have an official document from the state that recognizes your union without any religious ceremony. Marriage becomes a consensual affair between two adults who have decided they want to live together for the rest of their lives. So, while I agree with most of what you said, religion should not stop us from progressing as a country and moving forward and to catch up with the rest of the world. Therefore, religion should be a private affair in a country with diversity.

Rafidi

Rafidi

Legendary Member
    I’m talking about how hundreds of years of socio-economic conditions can affect the individual psyche of someone from a particular community, and consequently, the community as a whole.

If I ran a financial company, I’m not going to hire a guy whose family has been picking potatoes for hundreds of years.

You can’t go from “local resistance movement from a poor and disenfranchised group” to “rulers of a modern state” in less than a generation.

In other words, you don’t hire a guy who looks like a khadarjeh to lead a nation;

View attachment 19592
    Continue voting for billionaires turn oligarchs, who use the parliament and its laws to legalise their business deals, cut business deals and suck the blood of the economy. Thay is exactly what we have in Lebanon. I dont know if to call it an oligarchy or a kleptocracy. But it is both. When you have billionaires who dont know the misery other people are in or the struggle to stay afloat that others must go through, how do you instill discipline and change? A country is not a company to be run by executives with degrees in economic and finance from Harvard. A country is a source of wealth and resources that needs upright men to serve. Countries that are progressing do not have leaders. They have servants. Those men in authority should serve the people. In Lebanon, and in other shithole countries, they are leaders and regarded as demigods or see themselves as superior to everyone else. If I am a peasant and all of my people are peasants and I belong to a rich country, i dont need a con man who is a billionaire to lead me and end up stealing everything for himself and his children or family only. I need a hardworking peasant like myself with some knowledge and uprightness to serve our mutual and collective interests.

Every community has its educated class and its illiterate class. Your oversimplification of the matter and trying to paint everyone with the same brush and to discriminate against an entire community are what we are used to reading from you, whether you call yourself Manifesto, Atheist4Jesus or NewLeb. Your narratives that promote racism using the same line of thinking are not new on the forum. The same racist arguments - whether against Shiites in Lebanon or Blacks in America. Try to be more creative than just changing usernames to hide your identity. It is time to come out of the closet, Mani! Change your line of thinking or narratives in order not to be detected and exposed.

Bala
    AtheistForYeezus

AtheistForYeezus

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Bala habal bala ballout. FPM is under US pressure and is being blackmailed with sanctions to break their alliance with HA, so Bassil is trying to stir up trouble with Hizbullah in order to save face and make it seem like they parted ways on their own. Trump wants to isolate Hizbullah further.

You all have the IQ of a dhimmi. Byekhter3o el kizbeh w bisad2ouwa.

FPMers are trying to insult our intelligence by pretending they realized overnight that HA's not a serious partner in state building.