• Before posting an article from a specific source, check this list here to see how much the Orange Room trust it. You can also vote/change your vote based on the source track record.

The King of Brexit Johnson PM of UK

Crusader Boris Johnson

  • Will Make a successful Brexit

    Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Will fail like May

    Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Will make a great PM

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Will be a bad PM

    Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Will make UK a Crusader Nation with US

    Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Will be a US ally

    Votes: 3 30.0%

  • Total voters
    10

Thawra # Furoshima

Well-Known Member
September 03, 2019 - 12:05 PM EDTBoris Johnson loses parliamentary majority in UK
BY CHRIS MILLS RODRIGOTWEET SHARE MORE

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson's Conservative Party lost its parliamentary majority Tuesday after a member of parliament defected to the Liberal Democrats.
Phillip Lee, a 27-year veteran of the House of Commons, announced Tuesday that he would be leaving the governing party to join the anti-Brexit Liberal Democrats. He subsequently crossed the House to sit with his new party.
Watch: Conservative MP Phillip Lee defects to the Liberal Democrats, crossing the House of Commons during a speech by Boris Johnson

His move means the prime minister has no working majority ahead of a crucial #Brexitvote

[tap to expand] Tory MP defects ahead of crucial Brexit votepic.twitter.com/CfnKNm0pJ8
ADVERTISEMENT— BBC Politics (@BBCPolitics) September 3, 2019
Lee said his decision was prompted in large part by the Conservative Party's support of the United Kingdom's exit from the European Union, whether a deal is reached or not.
"This Conservative Government is aggressively pursuing a damaging Brexit in unprincipled ways. It is putting lives and livelihoods at risk unnecessarily and it is wantonly endangering the integrity of the United Kingdom," Lee said in a statement.
"More widely, it is undermining our country’s economy, democracy and role in the world. It is using political manipulation, bullying and lies. And it is doing these things in a deliberate and considered way. It has gone so far beyond reckless as to cease to be conservative," he added.
ADVERTISEMENT
Lee's defection ramps up the pressure on Johnson, whose promise to follow through on Brexit by Oct. 31 has drawn sharp criticism.
Lee is the third member of parliament to join the Liberal Democrats in recent months, bringing their count up to 15 out of the 650 seats in the House of Commons.
Liberal Democrat leader Jo Swinson thanked Lee for joining her party "at the most crucial time."
"I look forward to working with you to prevent a disastrous Brexit, and to fight for a fairer, more equal society," she said.
ADVERTISEMENT
Welcome @DrPhillipLeeMP – you have joined us at the most crucial time. I look forward to working with you to prevent a disastrous Brexit, and to fight for a fairer, more equal society.
— Jo Swinson (@joswinson) September 3,
 

Walidos

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
Put your hands and feet in cold water :)
Haha I am :) I think BoJo will actually resign and force an election- which he will win... I am against brexit but I concede to the guy, he is quite the sly fox
 

JustLeb

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
Shaklo Borris naffas


Call for an early election likely to be debated Wednesday
Prime Minister Boris Johnson has said he intends to seek an early election if MPs pass a bill outlawing a no-deal Brexit tomorrow. According to the House of Commons, his proposal is likely to be debated on Wednesday.
 

Walidos

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
I d
Shaklo Borris naffas


Call for an early election likely to be debated Wednesday
Prime Minister Boris Johnson has said he intends to seek an early election if MPs pass a bill outlawing a no-deal Brexit tomorrow. According to the House of Commons, his proposal is likely to be debated on Wednesday.
I wouldn’t count hi out just yet.., he has proved quite the politician so far...
And there is still a large amount of pro-leave mass that will vote for him in the next elections
 

Thawra # Furoshima

Well-Known Member
September 03, 2019 - 05:38 PM EDTTrump moving forward to divert $3.6B from military projects for border wall
BY JORDAIN CARNEY2,295TWEET SHARE MORE






























The Trump administration is moving forward with its plan to divert $3.6 billion from military construction projects, notifying congressional leaders and lawmakers whose states will be impacted by the shuffle.

Defense Secretary Mark Esper called congressional leaders, including House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer(D-N.Y.), on Tuesday to detail the decision to reprogram the money away from military construction projects and to the border.

Schumer, who has projects in his home state that will be impacted, panned the decision as a "slap in the face" to members of the military.

Defense Secretary Mark Esper called congressional leaders, including House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.), on Tuesday to inform them of the decision to reprogram the money away from military construction projects and to the border.

Schumer panned the decision as a "slap in the face" to members of the military.

"The president is trying to usurp Congress’s exclusive power of the purse and loot vital funds from our military. Robbing the Defense Department of much- needed funds is an affront to our service members and Congress will strongly oppose any funds for new wall construction," he added.

Pelosi told House Democrats on a caucus-wide conference call on Tuesday that Esper also informed her of the move earlier in the day, according to a call participant.

“Canceling military construction projects at home and abroad will undermine our national security and the quality of life and morale of our troops, making America less secure," Pelosi said later in a public statement.

“The House will continue to fight this unacceptable and deeply dangerous decision in the Courts, in the Congress and in the court of public opinion, and honor our oath to protect the Constitution," she added.

Pentagon officials on Tuesday also confirmed that Esper approved $3.6 billion in Defense Department dollars to build 175 miles of wall on U.S.- Mexico border, with Congress being briefed on the construction projects that will be affected by the order.

The notification to congressional leadership comes after Trump declared a national emergency earlier this year to access more money for the border wall after Congress passed a funding bill that included only $1.35 billion for the border.

Republicans bristled over Trump's decision to declare the national emergency to get wall funding but Congress was unable to override Trump's veto of a resolution to nix the declaration. Democrats have pledged to force another vote this fall.

As part of the declaration, Trump announced that he would reshuffle $3.6 billion from military construction projects. Republicans are promising to "back fill" the money in the upcoming government funding bills though that requires cooperation from Democrats.

In the meantime, roughly 127 military construction projects are being put on hold, half of which are overseas and half are planned U.S. projects, according to the Pentagon.

Pentagon Comptroller Elaine McCusker, who also spoke to reporters, said construction is expected to begin in about 135 days.

Officials also said that the additional miles of wall to be built are expected to diminish the number of U.S. troops deployed to the border, but could not give an estimate as to how many.

Democrats immediately balked at the Pentagon's decision to formally move forward with the reprogramming.

Sen. Jack Reed (D-R.I.), the top Democrat on the Senate Armed Services Committee, knocked the administration on Tuesday saying there was "no credible reason" for diverting the funding.

“There should be broad, bipartisan opposition to misusing defense dollars in this manner in both Congress and the courts," he added.

“The President is robbing the men and women of our armed services of funds meant for critical construction projects that are necessary to serve our troops, support our allies, deter our adversaries, and care for our military families — all to build a wall that will do nothing to solve the humanitarian crisis at our Southwest border or protect the American people," Sens. Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.), **** Durbin (D-Ill.) and Brian Schatz (D-Hawaii) said in a joint statement.

Leahy is the top Democrat on the Senate Appropriations Committee, while Durbin is the top Democrat on the Defense subcommittee and Schatz the top Democrat on the military construction subcommittee.

Schatz added in a subsequent tweet that "every service member, family member, and veteran should look at the list of projects he is de-funding and know that Trump thinks a wall is more important."

Democrats on the Senate Appropriations Committee sent Esper a letter on Tuesday requesting more information on the impacted projects, including how they were selected.

"We ... expect a full justification of how the decision to cancel was made for each project selected and why a border wall is more important to our national security and the wellbeing of our service members and their families than these projects," 10 Democrats on the panel wrote in their letter.
 

Resign

Well-Known Member
Orange Room Supporter
September 03, 2019 - 05:38 PM EDTTrump moving forward to divert $3.6B from military projects for border wall
BY JORDAIN CARNEY2,295TWEET SHARE MORE






























The Trump administration is moving forward with its plan to divert $3.6 billion from military construction projects, notifying congressional leaders and lawmakers whose states will be impacted by the shuffle.

Defense Secretary Mark Esper called congressional leaders, including House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer(D-N.Y.), on Tuesday to detail the decision to reprogram the money away from military construction projects and to the border.

Schumer, who has projects in his home state that will be impacted, panned the decision as a "slap in the face" to members of the military.

Defense Secretary Mark Esper called congressional leaders, including House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.), on Tuesday to inform them of the decision to reprogram the money away from military construction projects and to the border.

Schumer panned the decision as a "slap in the face" to members of the military.

"The president is trying to usurp Congress’s exclusive power of the purse and loot vital funds from our military. Robbing the Defense Department of much- needed funds is an affront to our service members and Congress will strongly oppose any funds for new wall construction," he added.

Pelosi told House Democrats on a caucus-wide conference call on Tuesday that Esper also informed her of the move earlier in the day, according to a call participant.

“Canceling military construction projects at home and abroad will undermine our national security and the quality of life and morale of our troops, making America less secure," Pelosi said later in a public statement.

“The House will continue to fight this unacceptable and deeply dangerous decision in the Courts, in the Congress and in the court of public opinion, and honor our oath to protect the Constitution," she added.

Pentagon officials on Tuesday also confirmed that Esper approved $3.6 billion in Defense Department dollars to build 175 miles of wall on U.S.- Mexico border, with Congress being briefed on the construction projects that will be affected by the order.

The notification to congressional leadership comes after Trump declared a national emergency earlier this year to access more money for the border wall after Congress passed a funding bill that included only $1.35 billion for the border.

Republicans bristled over Trump's decision to declare the national emergency to get wall funding but Congress was unable to override Trump's veto of a resolution to nix the declaration. Democrats have pledged to force another vote this fall.

As part of the declaration, Trump announced that he would reshuffle $3.6 billion from military construction projects. Republicans are promising to "back fill" the money in the upcoming government funding bills though that requires cooperation from Democrats.

In the meantime, roughly 127 military construction projects are being put on hold, half of which are overseas and half are planned U.S. projects, according to the Pentagon.

Pentagon Comptroller Elaine McCusker, who also spoke to reporters, said construction is expected to begin in about 135 days.

Officials also said that the additional miles of wall to be built are expected to diminish the number of U.S. troops deployed to the border, but could not give an estimate as to how many.

Democrats immediately balked at the Pentagon's decision to formally move forward with the reprogramming.

Sen. Jack Reed (D-R.I.), the top Democrat on the Senate Armed Services Committee, knocked the administration on Tuesday saying there was "no credible reason" for diverting the funding.

“There should be broad, bipartisan opposition to misusing defense dollars in this manner in both Congress and the courts," he added.

“The President is robbing the men and women of our armed services of funds meant for critical construction projects that are necessary to serve our troops, support our allies, deter our adversaries, and care for our military families — all to build a wall that will do nothing to solve the humanitarian crisis at our Southwest border or protect the American people," Sens. Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.), **** Durbin (D-Ill.) and Brian Schatz (D-Hawaii) said in a joint statement.

Leahy is the top Democrat on the Senate Appropriations Committee, while Durbin is the top Democrat on the Defense subcommittee and Schatz the top Democrat on the military construction subcommittee.

Schatz added in a subsequent tweet that "every service member, family member, and veteran should look at the list of projects he is de-funding and know that Trump thinks a wall is more important."

Democrats on the Senate Appropriations Committee sent Esper a letter on Tuesday requesting more information on the impacted projects, including how they were selected.

"We ... expect a full justification of how the decision to cancel was made for each project selected and why a border wall is more important to our national security and the wellbeing of our service members and their families than these projects," 10 Democrats on the panel wrote in their letter.

Phew
Wrong wall
 
Top