The Lebanese language using the Latin alphabet

U

Urjuwan

I know this had been discussed many times on this site and many others. Many people reject the idea of getting rid of arabic for political or ideological reasons, others for the love of the language they learned to write since they were children.

Some reject this idea because of their religion : islam. They consider arabic as the language of islam and that any other language can't give the exact meaning of the Coran. But the Coran had been translated to many languages and a large percentage of muslims are not even arab (indonesian, turkish, persian, ...) so this by itself is no reason to disregard this idea. Moreover languages like Latin, Syriac and Aramaic were the languages of the churches but that changed longtime ago and we don't see any church forcing these languages on people.

Since the 90s, young people ignored the arabic alphabet completely and started using the Latin alphabet to communicate online. Since then the level of the arabic language at schools have been declining. Last tuesday, Hisham Haddad was making fun of the arabic of a brevet student. That's always the case in schools: Teachers and principals constantly blame students for their lack of vocabulary and their ignorance of arabic grammar. I even met some very good students who can't understand the history chapter they are reading. What does "channa 7arban" mean? What does "edtihad" mean? What's the difference between "bl niyaba" and "bl inaba"? These young people who started using the latin alphabet are in their thirties, maybe forties.

Taking into account that we speak lebanese not arabic, that arabic is a very difficult language, that arabic is almost never used worldwide in science, math, technology, engineering..., that we can write the lebanese language using many different alphabets and that we have to learn french or english, I propose the following way of writing the lebanese language using latin alphabet.

• The letters A, B, D, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P, R, S, T, V, W, Y, Z are used like in french. G always sounds like in "Gants".
• C sounds like "ch"
• U sounds like "ou" in "ours"
• Q is like the arabic hamze. It mark a small stop.
• X sounds like ع
• D with hat (circumflex accent) is ض
• G with hat is غ
• H with hat is ح
• K with hat is خ
• Q with hat is ق
• S with hat is ص
• T with hat is ط
• Z with hat is ظ

Cu raqykon bhal alfabê? mniĥa? Akid bedda cwayet waqt ta tetxawado xleya bas akid ena ahyan bktir mnl xarabe w aĥrufo l'ĝaribe.

All the details are on this site Urjuwan Lebnen . Hope you share it and start using this alphabet so maybe one day we will actually study and write in our own language not in the foreign arabic language.

• Advertisement
  • Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
    Orange Room Supporter
    The keyboard modifications necessary to write the d and h with circumflex accents would cost us a fortune tho :p

Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove

Nuclear War Expert
    Staff member
    One thing that springs to mind though is how we'd agree on the spelling of words. Right now, we type words depending on how they sound in our own dialects/accents. Wouldn't that be an issue if you're looking to officialize the language?

U

Urjuwan

The keyboard modifications necessary to write the d and h with circumflex accents would cost us a fortune tho :p
    Any good developer can write a keyboard app. As for computer keyboards, they are cheap. If armenians, arabs, chinese, etc. could have their keyboards with all those weird letters, we can do it. I can already do it on my PC using Latex.

U

Urjuwan

One thing that springs to mind though is how we'd agree on the spelling of words. Right now, we type words depending on how they sound in our own dialects/accents. Wouldn't that be an issue if you're looking to officialize the language?
    Well some words have more than one pronounciation. We have to include them and let the evolution of the language decide which ones to remove just like all languages did.

Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
    Orange Room Supporter
    Any good developer can write a keyboard app. As for computer keyboards, they are cheap. If armenians, arabs, chinese, etc. could have their keyboards with all those weird letters, we can do it. I can already do it on my PC using Latex.
    That was kinda of a jokh thanks you very much :/

But on a more serious note, using Latex puts u in the niche world of the 0.001% of people who have access/ability/patience to use such word processing tools that allow such letters to be typed.

If u get down to it really, remodeling all our existing keyboards (hardware not software) is quite a pricey tag especially for those who use laptops..

But hey i support ur Endeavour, godspeed my good chap

U

Urjuwan

That was kinda of a jokh thanks you very much :/

But on a more serious note, using Latex puts u in the niche world of the 0.001% of people who have access/ability/patience to use such word processing tools that allow such letters to be typed.

If u get down to it really, remodeling all our existing keyboards (hardware not software) is quite a pricey tag especially for those who use laptops..

But hey i support ur Endeavour, godspeed my good chap
    Thank you. In the meantime we can use apostrophes instead of hats until we get these keyboards. For example "ĥariqa" could be written "h'ariqa". We should avoid digits like in "7ari2a"; that's not an alphabet.

U

Urjuwan

One time a lebanese illiterate man who spoke lebanese and only lebanese for his whole life asked me to teach him to write. After introducing him to the first few letters of the arabic alphabet, their 7araket and their forms in the beginning, the middle and the end of the word, the men gave up. It seems like he ran for his life when he saw that each letter have 3 or 4 forms, could be pronounced in many ways depending on the 7arake and that what he speaks isn't related to what he's learning ! Compare "bedde rou7 3al bet" with "zahabtou ila l manzel" : no word is the same. And some people still say shamelessly that lebanese is just an arab dialect.

U

Urjuwan

Does anyone know what is "موائع" or " فرجار" ? I used the last one for many years in school but didn't know its name. We use the first one daily. Same for "مخروط" and "هذلول" :p

• Wow
    Reactions: DLT
    Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
    Orange Room Supporter
    Does anyone know what is "موائع" or " فرجار" ? I used the last one for many years in school but didn't know its name. We use the first one daily. Same for "مخروط" and "هذلول" :p
    Do tell

U

Urjuwan

"موائع" means fluids (liquids & gases), فرجار means compass (compas en français), هذلول means hyperbola (and for some reasons they use it as a man's name), مخروط is a cone. Welcome to arabic. BTW is it "زوق " or "ذوق" in "زوق مصبح" and "زوق مكايل" kl sign byktbouwa chi. W min bikouno mosbe7 w mkeyel? :banghead:

epedep

epedep

Alright y'all, hear me out, I will solve all of your problems! Starting with official arabic
    ء = ʔ
    ّ = doubling of consonant (ex. مّ = mm)
    Emphatic consonants get an apostrophe after
    ا = a/aa
    ب = b
    ت = t
    ث = þ
    ج = g/j
    ح = ħ
    خ = x
    د = d
    ذ = ð
    ر = r
    ز = z
    س = s
    ش = š
    ص = s'
    ط = t'
    ض = d'
    ظ = z'/ð'
    ع = c
    غ = ɣ
    ف = f
    ق = q
    ك = k
    ل = l
    م = m
    ن = n
    ه = h
    و = w/uu
    ي = y/ii
    Chat is no more.

U

Urjuwan

Alright y'all, hear me out, I will solve all of your problems! Starting with official arabic
    ء = ʔ
    ّ = doubling of consonant (ex. مّ = mm)
    Emphatic consonants get an apostrophe after
    ا = a/aa
    ب = b
    ت = t
    ث = þ
    ج = g/j
    ح = ħ
    خ = x
    د = d
    ذ = ð
    ر = r
    ز = z
    س = s
    ش = š
    ص = s'
    ط = t'
    ض = d'
    ظ = z'/ð'
    ع = c
    غ = ɣ
    ف = f
    ق = q
    ك = k
    ل = l
    م = m
    ن = n
    ه = h
    و = w/uu
    ي = y/ii
    Chat is no more.
    I don't have any problems. The idea is to use only the latin alphabet. Arabic letters ذ and ث are not used in lebanese. Letters like V & P are used in lebanese but aren't arabic.

H

Habibibi

I don't have any problems. The idea is to use only the latin alphabet. Arabic letters ذ and ث are not used in lebanese. Letters like V & P are used in lebanese but aren't arabic.
    I got to play devils advocate here... if Lebanese is sooo distant from Arabic and is shamelessly called a dialect of Arabic... then why is it so hard to put this so called non Arabic dialect into a Latin alphabet and why hasn’t it been done long ago?? Fats and Turkish have different roots as languages.

U

Urjuwan

I got to play devils advocate here... if Lebanese is sooo distant from Arabic and is shamelessly called a dialect of Arabic... then why is it so hard to put this so called non Arabic dialect into a Latin alphabet and why hasn’t it been done long ago?? Fats and Turkish have different roots as languages.
    It's not hard at all, even teenagers almost did it in the 90s. The reasons it hasn't been done are religious and political.

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    I don't see that happening any time soon.