The Lebanese language using the Latin alphabet

Weezy

Weezy

I know this had been discussed many times on this site and many others. Many people reject the idea of getting rid of arabic for political or ideological reasons, others for the love of the language they learned to write since they were children.

Some reject this idea because of their religion : islam. They consider arabic as the language of islam and that any other language can't give the exact meaning of the Coran. But the Coran had been translated to many languages and a large percentage of muslims are not even arab (indonesian, turkish, persian, ...) so this by itself is no reason to disregard this idea. Moreover languages like Latin, Syriac and Aramaic were the languages of the churches but that changed longtime ago and we don't see any church forcing these languages on people.

Since the 90s, young people ignored the arabic alphabet completely and started using the Latin alphabet to communicate online. Since then the level of the arabic language at schools have been declining. Last tuesday, Hisham Haddad was making fun of the arabic of a brevet student. That's always the case in schools: Teachers and principals constantly blame students for their lack of vocabulary and their ignorance of arabic grammar. I even met some very good students who can't understand the history chapter they are reading. What does "channa 7arban" mean? What does "edtihad" mean? What's the difference between "bl niyaba" and "bl inaba"? These young people who started using the latin alphabet are in their thirties, maybe forties.

Taking into account that we speak lebanese not arabic, that arabic is a very difficult language, that arabic is almost never used worldwide in science, math, technology, engineering..., that we can write the lebanese language using many different alphabets and that we have to learn french or english, I propose the following way of writing the lebanese language using latin alphabet.

• The letters A, B, D, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P, R, S, T, V, W, Y, Z are used like in french. G always sounds like in "Gants".
• C sounds like "ch"
• U sounds like "ou" in "ours"
• Q is like the arabic hamze. It mark a small stop.
• X sounds like ع
• D with hat (circumflex accent) is ض
• G with hat is غ
• H with hat is ح
• K with hat is خ
• Q with hat is ق
• S with hat is ص
• T with hat is ط
• Z with hat is ظ

Cu raqykon bhal alfabê? mniĥa? Akid bedda cwayet waqt ta tetxawado xleya bas akid ena ahyan bktir mnl xarabe w aĥrufo l'ĝaribe.

All the details are on this site Urjuwan Lebnen . Hope you share it and start using this alphabet so maybe one day we will actually study and write in our own language not in the foreign arabic language.
We don't speak Lebanese we speak an Arabic dialect.

Lebanon is an Arabic country as mentioned in our constitution. I suggest you start a civil war in an attempt to change this fact before you even consider changing our official Arabic language.

• Advertisement
  • Mrsrx

Mrsrx

Somehow a Member
    Staff member
    I don't see that happening any time soon.
    khalas man shi jdid ta nsir ne2dar nektob lebnene bala ma nesta3mil el 3arabe....every invention needs time to catch on...enno halla2 ma fi wala tari2a ta nektob so khalli ywassil fekerto balke shi nhar the dream come true...min halla2 la wa2ta mnektob 3arabe shou mna3mil!

Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
    Orange Room Supporter
    We don't speak Lebanese we speak an Arabic dialect.

Lebanon is an Arabic country as mentioned in our constitution. I suggest you start a civil war in an attempt to change this fact before you even consider changing our official Arabic language.
    Talking about insecurities ?

• Haha
    Reactions: DLT
    True Palestinian

True Palestinian

I got to play devils advocate here... if Lebanese is sooo distant from Arabic and is shamelessly called a dialect of Arabic... then why is it so hard to put this so called non Arabic dialect into a Latin alphabet and why hasn’t it been done long ago?? Fats and Turkish have different roots as languages.
    It's been done with Maltese (which is a descendant of Siculo-Arabic), no reason it can't be done with Lebnene. Like Urjuwan said, the reasons are ideological, political and cultural.

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    A More accurate name would be Levantine.

Danny Z

Danny Z

Legendary Member
    Turkish was changed into latin in 1928, so there is no reason the Lebanese cannot do it.
    It requires political will and executive powers.

The turks wanted to create a western oriented identity and wanted to dissociate themselves from the past. it was the main driver for that change.

The Lebanese can't break away from their past, they still have the same leaders and they still have the same mentality that prevailed before the war, so this will not likely happen anytime soon. Ma zel el akhbar ba3da bill na7awi and there are not writers to push the idea in books, and even if writers start doing it. The lebanese don't read, the whole arab world doesn't read books. maybe after 3asr el in7itat will be over, things might change.

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    You quote the Quran but fight its language :)
    I am not fighting its language. But what we speak in the Levant is different from MSA.
    And I don't think we should scrap the Arabic alphabet.

Mrsrx

Mrsrx

Somehow a Member
    Staff member
    Turkish was changed into latin in 1928, so there is no reason the Lebanese cannot do it.

The turks wanted to create a western oriented identity and wanted to dissociate themselves from the past. it was the main driver for that change.

The Lebanese can't break away from their past, they still have the same leaders and they still have the same mentality that prevailed before the war, so this will not likely happen anytime soon. Ma zel el akhbar ba3da bill na7awi and there are not writers to push the idea in books, and even if writers start doing it. The lebanese don't read, the whole arab world doesn't read books. maybe after 3asr el in7itat will be over, things might change.
    Small practical reasons for the no even though i have no opinion on this whatsoever:

1- Lebanons biggest donors are arabs and this would not bode well with them
    2- over half of lebanon is proud to be arab so only a minority would care about this the others would fight it
    3- Changing how we write costs a lot of money in an economy that is on the brink of bankruptcy ( changing street signs, law books, laws, identities, passports, government buildings, ....) this will cost in the billions probably with the efficiency we are known for.
    4- There is no clear advantage (cultural nor economical) other than the identity and writing the way we talk (that we already do) - latin letter are not adapted to lebanese as much as arab letters are not so no clear win.

Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
    Orange Room Supporter

No allah would be slighted!! Ma hek @Weezy ?