The Levant’s DNA mosaic

Orangina

Orangina

Legendary Member
@Xynus87

Well, based on my family, if a Half-Druzi marries a full Druze, their children are accepted as Druze. So this allows some room for admixture, I guess. But it's rarely done. But we have a Half-white guy (His dad had married an American woman) that did marry a Druze woman. So those kind of windows are open.

There was also a recorded incident "The Rape of Ibn Barbariyah" were a number of Druze women were raped by Bedouins. It's not clear whether there was any pregnancy though. But it was central to the Druze faith to accept those women back and not look at them any differently (although sadly that's always impossible).
Druze should really consider starting getting out of their cocoon

• Advertisement
  • 𓍝𓂀𓄃𓇼

𓍝𓂀𓄃𓇼

Orange Room Supporter
    Druze should really consider starting getting out of their cocoon
    "
    Cocoons herself of coldness
    Yet soon her home she leaves
    A tired moth she hatches,
    And when grimness she perceives
    She lays her eggs and watches,
    And sorrowfully she grieves.
    She offered all her brilliance
    To a lurker who deceives
    A thief that overfed her
    To snatch away her sheaves. "

Orangina

Orangina

Legendary Member
    "
    Cocoons herself of coldness
    Yet soon her home she leaves
    A tired moth she hatches,
    And when grimness she perceives
    She lays her eggs and watches,
    And sorrowfully she grieves.
    She offered all her brilliance
    To a lurker who deceives
    A thief that overfed her
    To snatch away her sheaves. "
    I don't like those people who think they are better than all the others..
    .And that they hold the keys of wisdom
    And that they are the only ones that hold all the knowledge

Arrogance is an unhealthy ego in need of repair

Steven Gerrard

Steven Gerrard

It seems Druze have an elevated ancestry of Caucasus-like admixture. Very interesting. Wonder why that would come to happen.

As for the Jewish admixture in Shias, it's a known fact that majority of Bekaai Shiites and a lesser part of Southern Shias are descended from people who fled 1305 Mount Lebanon. It's also accepted that one of the places Shias spread to Jabal Amil, is Tyre when it fell to the crusades. Tyre had an established Jewish community from the 10th century, and assuming the Shias fled Tyre at the early 12th century, it's very likely a lot of Jews converted. The second wave of Shias came from fugitives from the Galilee, likely the ones who live on the extremities of the south.

As for the other Shias, they're a mixture of a minority of native Bekaais who converted, and the component from Mount Lebanon that originated from Fatimid-era Tripoli. Tripoli was known to have been inhabited by the pre-Islamic people who identified as "Byzantines", and it was settled by Jews in 644 by Muawiya as what is called "Amsar", hinting they most likely converted to Islam as a way to avoid slavery, or at least a significant portion of them. Interestingly, not exactly congruent to what I'm saying above, there's also some northern Mesopotamian paternal markers that were found among them (Hamdanid and perhaps Mirdasid loyalists) who fled to the Mountains here. Possible it's older than the Islamic era, but one of the markers super rare in Lebanon, so it's likely newcomers. Even some Persian-related markers. This tells us not all stories of old are flat out lies.
    Also,

𓍝𓂀𓄃𓇼

𓍝𓂀𓄃𓇼

Orange Room Supporter
    I don't like those people who think they are better than all the others..
    .And that they hold the keys of wisdom
    And that they are the only ones that hold all the knowledge

Arrogance is an unhealthy ego in need of repair
    I don't like those either, which is exactly why I'm Druze. I realize they keys of truth (of which little little is available to mankind) are in many disciplines and I study them all.

Last edited:
    𓍝𓂀𓄃𓇼

𓍝𓂀𓄃𓇼

Orange Room Supporter
    SAVO

SAVO

I'm curious, what haplogroup did they assign you? I'll be doing 23&me, or ancestry, soon and I might post my results here. Nothing is known of my oldest paternal ancestor, who lived around 400 years ago, my maternal family is allegedly from 12th century northern Syria and I have some ancestors from the Galilee. This will be a fun ride ;)

X

Xynus87

Super interesting. I think I have seen this before but I forgot about it until now. Quite a few Shias samples from the south turned out to be E-L485 also, you do not have any sub-saharan admixture and I wonder how it got here. It is mostly common in Western and Central Africa, but it's also found among Gulf Arabs and African Americans and even a few Spaniards. You would expect some noise perhaps if it was recent, Ottoman-era or so. It could have gotten here during the Abbasid period.

SAVO

SAVO

Super interesting. I think I have seen this before but I forgot about it until now. Quite a few Shias samples from the south turned out to be E-L485 also, you do not have any sub-saharan admixture and I wonder how it got here. It is mostly common in Western and Central Africa, but it's also found among Gulf Arabs and African Americans and even a few Spaniards. You would expect some noise perhaps if it was recent, Ottoman-era or so. It could have gotten here during the Abbasid period.
    Hitler was an " E" too :D

SAVO

SAVO

E1b1a1a1f
    E1b1a1a1f is defined by L485. The basal node E-L485* appears to be somewhat uncommon but has not been sufficiently tested in large populations. The ancestral L485 SNP (along with several of its subclades) was very recently discovered. Some of these SNPs have little or no published population data and/or have yet to receive nomenclature recognition by the YCC.

X

Xynus87

Hitler's relatives were tested and they turned out to be E-M35. Not sure which branch do they belong to, but it's most likely E-V13 and not E-M123. Some like to claim it indicates "Jewish" or "North African" ancestry, but in fact E-V13 is not related to the north African and/or Jewish E branches (for the most part, historically) and it's present in 8% of the Austrian population so it's not a surprise.

Last edited:
    SAVO

SAVO

Hitler's relatives were tested and they turned out to be E-M35. Not sure which branch do they belong to, but it's most likely E-V13 and not E-M123. Some like to claim it indicates "Jewish" or "North African" ancestry, but in fact E-V13 is not related to the north African and/or Jewish E branches (for the most part, historically) and it's present in 8% of the Austrian population so it's not a surprise.
    what about the other side of my DNA .the U1a !?
    on 23and me . among relatives i have a lot of ashkenazi jews.. all related to U groups

SAVO

SAVO

well my interpretation was different ..
    relating to my ancestral analysis ... it is mostly western asia ( lebanon ) , Caucasic /turkey iranian , and for a small percentual egypt and red sea ..
    one of my ancestors, dad part , orignally came from iraq as my dad told me ,, about 200 years ago or so ..
    im tryig to collect the puzzle ..

100% See all tested populations Updated: September 26, 2019

Arab, Egyptian & Levantine 54.6%

Beirut Governorate, Lebanon Damascus Governorate, Syria +6 regions Levantine 37.7%
    Egyptian 5.9%
    Peninsular Arab 1.9%
    Coptic Egyptian 0.2%
    Broadly Arab, Egyptian & Levantine 8.9%

Northern West Asian 40.6%

Iranian, Caucasian & Mesopotamian 23.1%
    Anatolian 8.9%
    Cypriot 1.2%
    Broadly Northern West Asian 7.4%
    Broadly Western Asian & North African 4.6%
    Unassigned 0.2%

Last edited:
    SAVO

SAVO

regarding my cypriot legacy

You most likely had a third-great-grandparent, fourth-great-grandparent, fifth-great-grandparent, or sixth-great-grandparent who was 100% Cypriot. This person was likely born between 1740 and 1830.

and this confirm my father version

You most likely had a grandparent, great-grandparent, or second-great-grandparent who was 100% Iranian, Caucasian & Mesopotamian. This person was likely born between 1860 and 1920.