The Levant’s DNA mosaic

• Advertisement
  • Ice Tea

Ice Tea

No, you can't.
    But Jews, on the other hand, are thought of as a single homogenous group due to lack of intermarriage.

They are not homogenous, but most of them share Israelite/Canaanite ancestry on their paternal side.

Xynus87

Xynus87

They are not homogenous, but most of them share Israelite/Canaanite ancestry on their paternal side.
    Wouldn't use Israelite in this one because the Jews show many haplogroups that were probably not present among Israelites notably R-Z2103, R-Z93 and I-M170. Widely Canaanite may be more correct since they weren't as reserved as the Israelites were and that explains E-Z830 among modern-day Jews. Original Israelites were likely mainly J1 and J2 people.

AtheistForJesus

AtheistForJesus

Why are Lebanese people so obsessed with DNA tests and with proving they're anything else but Arab?
    I've never seen more people with such a glaring inferiority complex.

Ice Tea

Ice Tea

Why are Lebanese people so obsessed with DNA tests and with proving they're anything else but Arab?

Dude, modern Lebanese Christians have been proved to be almost identical to Canaanites from 3700 years ago, let alone Roman-era people from 1500 years ago. That's pretty much amazing considering how many times the region was conquered. Even Lebanese Muslims' admixture is only from the Ottoman empire.

Here's a Canaanite/Phoenician from Sidon from 1700 BC

Admix Results (sorted):

# Population Percent
    1 East_Med 47.46
    2 West_Asian 19.02
    3 West_Med 16.28
    4 Red_Sea 15.31
    5 North_Atlantic 1.94

Single Population Sharing:

# Population (source) Distance
    1 Lebanese_Christian 3.51
    2 Samaritan 3.51
    3 Lebanese_Druze 8.58
    4 Palestinian 8.72
    5 Lebanese_Muslim 9.87
    6 Cyprian 10.24
    7 Syrian 10.39
    8 Jordanian 11.02
    9 Kurdish_Jewish 13.47
    10 Bedouin 13.98
    11 Tunisian_Jewish 14.15
    12 Iranian_Jewish 14.43
    13 Libyan_Jewish 14.81
    14 Assyrian 16.28
    15 Sephardic_Jewish 17.35
    16 Algerian_Jewish 18.12
    17 Italian_Jewish 18.42
    18 Egyptian 19.43
    19 Georgian_Jewish 19.73
    20 Yemenite_Jewish 20.62

Xynus87

Xynus87

That's not a very good reason, the thing I like about genetics is the ability to know when, how and why your ancestors came to Lebanon. You can use Y-DNA haplogroups for a good insight on that too ^ All Lebanese sects (except Druze) have J2 (J-M172) as the most frequent haplogroup for example. @Ice Tea

Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
    Orange Room Supporter
    No, you can't.
    But Jews, on the other hand, are thought of as a single homogenous group due to lack of intermarriage.
    Sorry ma chefta lal reply abel, homogenous group eltelle? :lol:

Ice Tea

Ice Tea

Another Lebanese result, but this one scored only a bit over 20% Jewish.

15.6% Mizrahi
    6.9% Askhenazi

AtheistForJesus

AtheistForJesus

@Ice Tea I wanna do a test. Which one do you suggest?
    And can I send my sample through LibanPost?

Baddeh shouf shu be2rabo lal Khomeini.

True Palestinian

True Palestinian

Agreed, 100%. And the very concept of a jewish DNA is a laughable rhetoric invention.
    Yup, and the earth is a triangle ?

Allow me to elaborate though; Lebanese cannot possibly be anti-semitic, this lie does not work here because Lebanese are themselves semitic people as well.
    You should go tell that to your fellow countrymen who've joined the SSNP, I'm sure they'll agree with you!

Last edited:
    True Palestinian

True Palestinian

Ice Tea, you were too nice, you shouldn't have confused them with facts. I'll show you how it's done.

A picture is worth 1000 words, so I just made a nice PCA for you:

bas remember kids... Jews are jUsT a ReLiGiOn ?

True Palestinian

True Palestinian

Wouldn't use Israelite in this one because the Jews show many haplogroups that were probably not present among Israelites notably R-Z2103, R-Z93 and I-M170. Widely Canaanite may be more correct since they weren't as reserved as the Israelites were and that explains E-Z830 among modern-day Jews. Original Israelites were likely mainly J1 and J2 people.
    You're largely wrong on this. R1b-Z2103 (L943 in particular, which is also found in Lebanon BTW) and R1a-Z93 (most of which is CTS6) were most certainly present in Canaan by the Late Bronze Age, in fact one of the LBA samples from Tel Shadud was R1b-M269. I-M170 is trickier, while most of it is definitely European, I2c could have been present throughout the Middle East for quite some time before the Bronze Age, not exactly a major Jewish branch though.

Also I don't get the point you're trying to make about E-Z830, this was found in several of the Natufians as well as the Chalcolithic samples from Peqi'in, there's no way E-Z830 and E-M34 were absent from the Levant let alone the Israelites.

Last edited:
    XMyso

XMyso

Orange Room Supporter
    Reminds of this very pan-Arabist Druze I know from Rashaya. That came out 20% Ashkenazi and told me something must have went wrong. But he has blonde hair and blue eyes. What did he expect?