• Before posting an article from a specific source, check this list here to see how much the Orange Room trust it. You can also vote/change your vote based on the source track record.

The October 17 "Thawra", One Year Later: What Has It Achieved?

Dr. Strangelove

Nuclear War Expert
Staff member
As we approach the anniversary of the so-called revolution that began on the 17th of October, we look back and wonder - what did it achieve? What came of it?

My personal outlook of it is, sadly, extremely negative:

-Not only has the mafia state not been dislodged, it has actually become more entrenched. Hariri is favorite to become PM for the 5th time. Joumblatt's monopolist-feudalist empire is untouched. Berri's criminal network has become an accepted reality within the public consciousness.

-The mafia state media is still free to misdirect, misinform and whitewash without consequences. Journalists on payrolls being dictated what to say and how to say it conduct character assassinations on Aljadeed, while MTV and LBC whore themselves out to whoever coughs up the cash... People still watch them and believe them without question.

-The judiciary is ridiculously corrupt, yet has been spared from any attack. The truth behind the August 4 Beirut explosion will forever be hidden from the public, as Judge Ghassan Ouweidat - a person directly responsible for the catastrophe - is heading the investigations and putting into custody those who attempted to blow the whistle on the nitrate depots. At the same time, honest prosecutors and lawyers get probed by compromised committees while gang leaders like Geagea and Franjieh openly harbor fugitives - and the public doesn't bat an eye.

-The country's economy has been truly and deeply ****ed. I don't care if our financial system was destined to go into freefall sooner or later. The false revolution hastened our demise and contributed heavily in destroying what little was still holding on, only to completely fail at backing real change and accountability when the opportunity presented itself.

-The people are so radicalized and divided that a civil war is no longer out of the question. All bridges of communication have been burned and would take years to reestablish. Echo chambers have been reinforced. Sober, reasonable thought has been replaced with extremism and refusal to find a middle ground.

-Bullying and harassment have become widely accepted. The filth of humankind, like Gino Raidy and Pierre Hashash, can sway opinions and accuse whoever they want of whatever they want. The fake "thawra3" has given a platform for the worst of us to drag us all down to their level.

-The common man's will to revolt and change has been exploited and drained dry by parasitic political parties to the point where another movement is almost impossible to awaken, at this point. The population is escaping the country en masse... A true exodus.

I could go on for pages, but it all amounts to the same thing: the Oct. 17 revolution has been a tragically fatal event in the history of this nation. A lie. A scam. Nothing good came out of it, and I don't see how anything will.

But that's my opinion. What is yours?

Apostate

Your will, my hands.
Orange Room Supporter
Sorry the question is wrong in itself... what has it achieved? the so called "Thawra" (disagree with the name, its just protests / popular movement-demands) is neither an executive power neither a legislative entity, it doesn't have any power to achieve anything, their only option is talking about stuff.
You guys, however, are in that position that could enable forcing change - yet you claim eno "ma khallouna", but your expectations are shattered in this amateurish movement called "Thawra" because they couldn't achieve anything? What should've happened is that you "ykhib amalak" in those who are in power, yet they failed at doing anything.

Another comment regarding the so called bullying, the politicians should accept that they're subject to bullying as long as they're public servants. If you don't have a thick skin, then you lack basic requirements of the job description.

Dr. Strangelove

Nuclear War Expert
Staff member
Sorry the question is wrong in itself... what has it achieved? the so called "Thawra" (disagree with the name, its just protests / popular movement-demands) is neither an executive power neither a legislative entity, it doesn't have any power to achieve anything, their only option is talking about stuff.
You guys, however, are in that position that could enable forcing change - yet you claim eno "ma khallouna", but your expectations are shattered in this amateurish movement called "Thawra" because they couldn't achieve anything? What should've happened is that you "ykhib amalak" in those who are in power, yet they failed at doing anything.

Another comment regarding the so called bullying, the politicians should accept that they're subject to bullying as long as they're public servants. If you don't have a thick skin, then you lack basic requirements of the job description.
A movement can set goals and achieve them. Providing a clear alternative for the current system. Setting the right example. Pressuring in a targeted way and pushing for real change as any healthy opposition power would.

Organize into parties. Present manifestos. Prepare platforms to get elected on. Bring truths out and fight for them in the judiciary. Breed real leaders.

I see none of that. Instead, I see the opposite. Executive power has nothing to do with it.

Also, I don't care about political figures being attacked. Regular people were the ones being bullied and harassed. Ask around... I personally experienced it firsthand, and many others like me.

Apostate

Your will, my hands.
Orange Room Supporter
A movement can set goals and achieve them. Providing a clear alternative for the current system. Setting the right example. Pressuring in a targeted way and pushing for real change as any healthy opposition power would.

Organize into parties. Present manifestos. Prepare platforms to get elected on. Bring truths out and fight for them in the judiciary. Breed real leaders.

I see none of that. Instead, I see the opposite. Executive power has nothing to do with it.

Also, I don't care about political figures being attacked. Regular people were the ones being bullied and harassed. Ask around... I personally experienced it firsthand, and many others like me.

Organizing into parties, or joining already existing parties that are in opposition, is a long process that takes more than a year - specially in a country like Lebanon. And that would happen once elections is near. There already are groups with common vision gathered all around the place, and it takes time (and elections in sight) to put out the framework of evolving that into a political movement / party.

Don't get me wrong, these people in the so-called Thawra proved to be extremely foolish and amateurish, but you're holding them accountable for more than what's expected from a popular uprising... they did raise their voice to multiple issues, protested governments and policies, shut down the parliament session that wanted to approve the Pardon to all prisoners (many months ago - and you guys specifically attacked them on that day, 2al they prevented isla7at LUL).

But thats about it, that is the scope and limitation of their power... and they did that on the issues they deemed right / urgent... if u don't agree on what issues to focus on, tfaddal nzal push for that lol - leh baddak ghayrak to push for ur ideas? But the legal responsibility falls on the people with executive and legislative power. They're constitutionally the people who holds the key to change - until elections replace them (if ever).

Also most of the bullying, beating, arrests happened to the people of the uprising. From safarat, to being called FMers, LFers, to being shot... za3len 3a shwayyet verbal bullying (although unjustified)?

Don't forget to tweet the ثورة سرقها الزعران to contribute to the collective bullying that the uprising faced. Everyone from the "taba2a al 7akima" contributed to torpedoing the uprising, so when someone is pro-Someone in the ruling class, sorry I don't think he's entitled to being disappointed in the "Thawra" :p

مع فائق حبي واحترامي
<3

TayyarBeino

Legendary Member
Batata...

07:16
الجمهورية: مجموعات كبيرة ومنسقة من الثورة قرّرت أمس الجمعة وقف كل البرامج الضخمة التي كانت مقررة يوم السبت المقبل في 17 تشرين الاول الجاري

Resign

Orange Room Supporter
It’s a bit wrong calling it thawra
It’s more like an unorganized intifida of people who got sick of the situation.
Maybe the ‘thawra’ failed to organize itself into a proper movement however imo it achieved a lot

It exposed and shook the foundation of the ruling class
It educated our young generations
It opened the eyes of the international community over Lebanon
It destroyed the corrupt political parties from within, maybe some more than others - the elections will be a proof of that.

A year later, Aounists are still complaining about thawra
The damage is real lol

Mrsrx

Not an expert!
Staff member
Short answer: Nothing

But it was never their responsibility to achieve much in the first place. They tried but have no executive power and they wasted some chances to have any but you cannot blame a chaotic movement built on anger that it did not get organized in time these things take time especially when internal and external forces are trying to swing them in their direction.

You cannot blame someone for venting their anger towards an unbearable situation.

oldschool

It is the responsibility of the people though. The first level of government is people through voting. You can’t fix the top without fixing the base. So when people fail to organize and vote properly then it’s the same failure at that level than when a deputy fails to vote properly.

Everyone has a role and nobody’s doing it

Rafidi

Legendary Member
This so called thawra took us from bad to worse.

In fact, the original protest was genuine and sincere. Later on, it was hijacked and kidnapped and stolen by the thieves and corrupt leaders. Each wanted to use the so called thawra for his own motives.

If I can go back in time, I wont have supported any thawra and I wont have participated at all from the onset. We wanted to get rid of the corrupt politicians and after one year they have only taught us that we can not do without them or without them they will crash the country on our heads. The same loser will be back as PM exactly a year after he was forced to resign. This reminds of SHN asking him not to resign. That was when he was emboldened to resign. And we have only wasted one year. He keeps resigning like a classroom prefect and holding the country to ransom and destabilizing everything everytime he resigns haphazardly for nonsensical reasons. And everytime he wants to come back or if someone else take his place he would wants to sabotage his govt (like Diab's). So what is his purpose of resignation? To drag us backwards and serve the dictates of his foreign masters who are using him as a tool to fight their battles and in the process making Lebanese people pay a heavy price for his state of incarceration in the hands of his foreign masters. Is he serving the country or foreigners?

Last edited:

NAFAR

Legendary Member
Actually the "Thawra" achieved its goals perfectly:

1) Hariri is back on a white horse to be our savor
2) The strong Christian partner in the system is weakened and marginalized to the point that the next gov. and the new political platform is being formed by Sunnites/Shiites only without any say to Christians.
3) The economic/financial catastrophe was shaded by the thawra events and life goes on as nothing happened

GrumpForTrump

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter

2) The strong Christian partner in the system is weakened and marginalized to the point that the next gov. and the new political platform is being formed by Sunnites/Shiites only without any say to Christians.
3) The economic/financial catastrophe was shaded by the thawra events and life goes on as nothing happened

I don't understand how Christians are not putting pressure on their leaders to create their own federal state.
Calling for unity and ta3ayush is stupid.
If I were a Christian I would have sought that as an option a long time ago.

NewLeb

The only thing its been successful at is being annoying.

Then again, most of the people who comprise the Thawra are these old and frigid women from Ashrafieh. They have no boyfriends or husbands, and they always have something on their minds to nag about.

Also, they all have the same and plain short hairstyles and bespectacled faces. They’re dirty and lack any cleavage worth looking at. They’re probably the most m3a2adine of all Lebanese, with the Hezbo Shiites coming in at a close second.

Nevertheless, they still prove useful, if only to act as a gadfly to the ruling power.

Viral

As we approach the anniversary of the so-called revolution that began on the 17th of October, we look back and wonder - what did it achieve? What came of it?

My personal outlook of it is, sadly, extremely negative:

-Not only has the mafia state not been dislodged, it has actually become more entrenched. Hariri is favorite to become PM for the 5th time. Joumblatt's monopolist-feudalist empire is untouched. Berri's criminal network has become an accepted reality within the public consciousness.

-The mafia state media is still free to misdirect, misinform and whitewash without consequences. Journalists on payrolls being dictated what to say and how to say it conduct character assassinations on Aljadeed, while MTV and LBC whore themselves out to whoever coughs up the cash... People still watch them and believe them without question.

-The judiciary is ridiculously corrupt, yet has been spared from any attack. The truth behind the August 4 Beirut explosion will forever be hidden from the public, as Judge Ghassan Ouweidat - a person directly responsible for the catastrophe - is heading the investigations and putting into custody those who attempted to blow the whistle on the nitrate depots. At the same time, honest prosecutors and lawyers get probed by compromised committees while gang leaders like Geagea and Franjieh openly harbor fugitives - and the public doesn't bat an eye.

-The country's economy has been truly and deeply ****ed. I don't care if our financial system was destined to go into freefall sooner or later. The false revolution hastened our demise and contributed heavily in destroying what little was still holding on, only to completely fail at backing real change and accountability when the opportunity presented itself.

-The people are so radicalized and divided that a civil war is no longer out of the question. All bridges of communication have been burned and would take years to reestablish. Echo chambers have been reinforced. Sober, reasonable thought has been replaced with extremism and refusal to find a middle ground.

-Bullying and harassment have become widely accepted. The filth of humankind, like Gino Raidy and Pierre Hashash, can sway opinions and accuse whoever they want of whatever they want. The fake "thawra3" has given a platform for the worst of us to drag us all down to their level.

-The common man's will to revolt and change has been exploited and drained dry by parasitic political parties to the point where another movement is almost impossible to awaken, at this point. The population is escaping the country en masse... A true exodus.

I could go on for pages, but it all amounts to the same thing: the Oct. 17 revolution has been a tragically fatal event in the history of this nation. A lie. A scam. Nothing good came out of it, and I don't see how anything will.

But that's my opinion. What is yours?

1602438713946.png

Viral

Whatever it takes to enhance Geagea's chances to occupy Baabda...
Do you have a problem with that?;)

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Viral

Mission accomplished ladies...

1579460775865.png

1579460572414.png

1579460604946.png

1579460647247.png

1579460673756.png

1579460704774.png

1579460737197.png

1579460831731.png