• Before posting an article from a specific source, check this list here to see how much the Orange Room trust it. You can also vote/change your vote based on the source track record.

The October 17 "Thawra", One Year Later: What Has It Achieved?

Viral

Address? Phone Number?
I'd like to ask them if Hariri return, now that the county is in ruins, is going to be Okay with them...
Never mind giving the Banks cover to shut down and smuggle our dollars outside the country...
Yes, it was smuggled after 17 Oct. not before🤪
But look at the bright sight. Jumblatt, Hariri, Berri money is ALL safe. That's the money that was smuggled.
Good job Thawra! You don't want to upset the bosses and Warlords:banghead:

Address? Phone Number?
I'd like to ask them if Hariri return, now that the county is in ruins, is going to be Okay with them...
Never mind giving the Banks cover to shut down and smuggle our dollars outside the country...
Yes, it was smuggled after 17 Oct. not before🤪
But look at the bright sight. Jumblatt, Hariri, Berri money is ALL safe. That's the money that was smuggled.
Good job Thawra! You don't want to upset the bosses and Warlords:banghead:

If Hariri returns then it means FPM is ok with it.

freelebanonn

Legendary Member
The so called thawra failed for many reasons:

1- they called themselves thawra while they were far from it. Max hirak. Thawra means blood and killing on the streets.

2- they were used by LF, psp and somehow ( low numbers) kataeb. If i tell you to go alone on a street and protest you wont do it.If you see 20 people protesting in an area you might join them. LF gave them this illusion by filling the christian streets with their undercover base. What you saw in downtown were mostly leftists and communists.

3- They were not faced with an opposite street filled with supporters of parties so they thought for a moment that they really began to represent the absolute majority of the citizens and acted upon it. When they found out the real truth that they still actually dont represent more than 10% they were shocked and demoralized.

4- They did not pick the right battles and the right moments to fight them and they did not support Mps when they did something good like they criticized them when they did something wrong. Its like your only option is to kill yourself and us thawra taking over. ( refer back to point 3)

5- The most hypocrites out of them stood out as the face of thawra like paula yaacoubian . Dima sadek and hisham haddad. This did not give the honest people a good and trustworthy alternative to change from their parties to a new direction.

i can go on for days and i wont finish.

Walidos

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
Yet again our divided community shoots itself in the foot, and we end up blaming each other. Reality is each faction want different things. The revolution Claimed objective was change and reform (weird right?): LF and PSP supporters joined to oust FPM from power. FM supporters went down to bring back Hariri and oust HA from government. FPM were against it as they felt targeted despite them claiming to spearhead change and reform, HA and Amal supporters first joined against poverty and later went against it to protect HA and Amal’s grip on power... the people who went down with the slogan killoun ya3ne killoun and are really not supportive of any party are a clear minority, and they failed to get organised and have a balanced speech and agenda to offer any viable alternative.

the result clearly accelerated the country’s demise: no government, no economy, collapse if the national currency, no foreign support, more division and less tolerance.

there is not one figure that unites the lebanese, not one topic, not one event. Sad really.

Tayyar9

Legendary Member
The main

Come on @Dr. Strangelove

the Thawra exposed all of what you are saying. It also exposed the ponzi scheme the government was supporting. It did not hasten anything, Lebanon was a ticking time bomb and the bomb exploded. Covid19 was the nail in the coffin.

What do you expect people to do when the fires happened and then the government decides to put more austerity measures on the population? like increasing VAT and the ludicrous whatsapp tax. sit and do nothing? People were fed up.

Forget about Gino and Pierre Hashash, let them talk, but talk to people who were there and had nothing to lose, especially that many are unemployed and even don't have any money to put food on the table. You are saying it's the thawra's fault the men in their mid 20s and early 30s don't have jobs and have been sitting in cafes drinking argileh till 3 am in the morning for the past 4 years? Hyperinflation and buying Listerine at the price of 50,000 lira is also the Thawra's fault? capital controls and no more USD reserves are because of those pesky grumpy protesters?

come on man.
Exposed the Ponzi Scheme? It was exposed in 1997 by GMA my friend. The problem is that people didn't care until they started to feel it personally.

Tayyar9

Legendary Member
Whatever floats your boat. No wonder you guys became the laughing stock of everyone. Completely out of touch with reality.

PS: Of course Kataeb and geagea will try to benefit from protests, its politics. It doesn't ,however, mean it was all them. Bil moukhtasar al moufid, tda7ako 3laykon that "those are all FMers, LFers, PSPers" to make u stand against reform and protect the mafia. Mabrouk, bas don't cry victim about christians - your stupidity is your biggest enemy.
Make FPM stand against reforms? FPM is the only party who is doing what was being asked the first few days by the clean demonstrators. They are the only ones who are actively seeking to implement the reforms demanded, but you are too blind to see it unfortunately. It was actually doing it before the 17th of october movement, but it was and is still attacked by everyone else.

Exposed the Ponzi Scheme? It was exposed in 1997 by GMA my friend. The problem is that people didn't care until they started to feel it personally.

Lol, ok if it has been exposed by GMA in 1997 and got the majority of the parliament then why didn't he do anything about it? why did he approve Salemeh's tenure renewal?

Tayyar9

Legendary Member
Lol, ok if it has been exposed by GMA in 1997 and got the majority of the parliament then why didn't he do anything about it? why did he approve Salemeh's tenure renewal?
So FPM has the majority of parliament? Go back to 2010/2011/2012/2013 and see GMA's position regarding Salameh. And while you're at it, try to find anyone other than him critisizing Salameh, from the politicians, to foreign powers to the "thouwars". In this country, the "siyesse tawafo2iye" prevails, and if all the rest want Salameh, and the people don't give a shit, then Salameh it is.

Tayyar9

Legendary Member
You can also check his positions later as well, but at the time, the economy was not as shit as it was in 2016/2017/2018, so maybe something could've been done sooner.

So FPM has the majority of parliament? Go back to 2010/2011/2012/2013 and see GMA's position regarding Salameh. And while you're at it, try to find anyone other than him critisizing Salameh, from the politicians, to foreign powers to the "thouwars". In this country, the "siyesse tawafo2iye" prevails, and if all the rest want Salameh, and the people don't give a shit, then Salameh it is.

You did not answer my question

Why didn't GMA once he was the president and had the most seats in the parliament along with his ally HA did not fire Salemeh and replaced him with someone who was not corrupt? why did he approve Salemeh's renewal?

You can also check his positions later as well, but at the time, the economy was not as shit as it was in 2016/2017/2018, so maybe something could've been done sooner.

I do not care about positions. I care about actions

in 2016 municipality elections, instead of siding with non corrupt groups he sided with the same party he swore to bring down, FM, why?

Tayyar9

Legendary Member
You did not answer my question

Why didn't GMA once he was the president and had the most seats in the parliament along with his ally HA did not fire Salemeh and replaced him with someone who was not corrupt? why did he approve Salemeh's renewal?
You always come back to our allies. "FPM and their allies"... I said FPM, not FPM and their allies. When FPM has the majority alone, you can tell me this. As for your question about 2016 municipal elections, that's a point I don't agree with FPM on. Plain and simple. But the problem is that if the people want those people in power, then FPM has no choice but to try and work with them in certain cases.

You always come back to our allies. "FPM and their allies"... I said FPM, not FPM and their allies. When FPM has the majority alone, you can tell me this. As for your question about 2016 municipal elections, that's a point I don't agree with FPM on. Plain and simple. But the problem is that if the people want those people in power, then FPM has no choice but to try and work with them in certain cases.

They have a choice. instead they chose to side with corrupt leaders like Hariri.

FPM had the most ministers and the majority parliament seats, yet all they did was talk.

so again why were they ok with Salemeh staying in power? why now are they ok with nominating Hariri as PM again?