The Q/A thread

Faithful

Faithful

Guys,

I have Windows Server 2003 installed on our office's server and many clients with windows XP professional SP2..... We want to buy a new server with Windows Server 2008 ... Do you have any idea if Win Server 2008 and Win XP are compatible ?? ..... Noting that The Windows 2008 will be the domain controller .... Will I face any problem with these changes ?

• Advertisement
  • a59

a59

To the people that usually ask here where they can purchase computers/Laptops or computer stuff in Lebanon, hardware or legal software, apple and PC devices, check out this website Mizalla.com - Your Local Online Mall it's probably the first if not the only Lebanese based online store that looks and works properly.

PS, i'm not affiliated with the website owner/s just thought some people would find it useful. If you don't own a credit card they will deliver to your place and you can pay on delivery.

FBM

FBM

To the people that usually ask here where they can purchase computers/Laptops or computer stuff in Lebanon, hardware or legal software, apple and PC devices, check out this website Mizalla.com - Your Local Online Mall it's probably the first if not the only Lebanese based online store that looks and works properly.

PS, i'm not affiliated with the website owner/s just thought some people would find it useful. If you don't own a credit card they will deliver to your place and you can pay on delivery.

There is also pcandparts.com that does the same thing

F

false Morel

Guys, need urgent help or hints:

I was trying to fix a laptop which was overheating.. An Acer Aspire..
    Disassembled the heat sink with the fan, applied thermal grease on CPU and GPU, assembled everything back, and now the laptop stays on for a max of 30 to 45 seconds! Can't make it past the Windows logo!

Even if I go in the Bios menu, and leave it there, it'll survive the same time!

I know I applied the grease well. Pretty experienced in this..
    But I'm afraid I scratched or simply damaged the GPU or the CPU in the process! Specially that when assembling the heat sink back I did it in an aggressive manner and didn't hit its perfect spot at first and adjusted while it's touching the components..
    Either that or it could be some tiny bits of grease reaching parts of CPU and GPU where it shouldn't be applied!! I discovered that when re-disassembled the heat sink and took a look..

I did the whole thing in extreme speed and minimal concentration as I was also talking through Skype as well!! Pretty stupid I know..
    Anyway, I managed to remove all these tiny bits of grease with cotton buds..

Made sure everything in place, RAMs and Hard-disk checked out, removed and reinserted..
    Fan is doing good.. Battery removed and AC plug in.. Before it turns off, I managed to go into the Bios menu and made sure it was reading all components normally..

So should I lose hope as I seemingly ****ed either of the CPU or GPU, or both, or is there still something to try out?

What's even more stupid, this my colleague's laptop, which I offered to fix for free of course.. Now wait till she hears the news that I ****ed the whole thing up and we're closing in Christmas time while her other old desktop is also out of order!!

Danny Z

Danny Z

Legendary Member

Disassembled the heat sink with the fan, applied thermal grease on CPU and GPU, assembled everything back, and now the laptop stays on for a max of 30 to 45 seconds! Can't make it past the Windows logo!

But I'm afraid I scratched or simply damaged the GPU or the CPU in the process! Specially that when assembling the heat sink back I did it in an aggressive manner and didn't hit its perfect spot at first and adjusted while it's touching the components..
    Either that or it could be some tiny bits of grease reaching parts of CPU and GPU where it shouldn't be applied!! I discovered that when re-disassembled the heat sink and took a look..

I did the whole thing in extreme speed and minimal concentration as I was also talking through Skype as well!! Pretty stupid I know..

Made sure everything in place, RAMs and Hard-disk checked out, removed and reinserted..
    Fan is doing good.. Battery removed and AC plug in.. Before it turns off, I managed to go into the Bios menu and made sure it was reading all components normally..

So should I lose hope as I seemingly ****ed either of the CPU or GPU, or both, or is there still something to try out?

What's even more stupid, this my colleague's laptop, which I offered to fix for free of course.. Now wait till she hears the news that I ****ed the whole thing up and we're closing in Christmas time while her other old desktop is also out of order!!
    If it is turning but not staying for a long time, it still has something to do with the overheating rather than CPU or GPU being damaged, could you have touched the heating sensor, that tells the CPU to shut down?!

Leb_Rebel

Leb_Rebel

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter

The only time I ran into something similar to that was overheating or faulty memory modules. I can't think of anything else.
    AS far as I am concerned, but I could be wrong : Damaging the GPU shouldn't prevent it from loading, and I cant see how you can break a CPU.

EDIT: Faulty power supply on a laptop? or completely didn't branch the heatsink of hte CPU?

Lallous

Lallous

Just tap the laptop with your hand where the fan is located. This issue is common with Acer laptops.

I'm not kidding

a59

a59

False Morel, first this wouldn't have happened on a Mac.. jk :tongue:

Fact that it turns on for less than 60 seconds then shuts down itself is a sign of rapid overheating, i've never touched the bios of an ACER laptop, but there should be a temperature sensor in there, check it fast as you can, also try to hard reset the bios, could be having complex hardware identification.

Danny Z

Danny Z

Legendary Member
    Just tap the laptop with your hand where the fan is located. This issue is common with Acer laptops.

I'm not kidding
    I kicked it with my foot once and it solved the problem, it wouldn't turn off after 60 secs anymore, because it wouldn't turn on to be able to turn off

F

false Morel

Thanks for the hints and advices.. That was pretty fast.. Some advices didn't occur to my mind.. But it turned out I applied less grease than required! So it was a sudden overheating problem..
    Usually I apply that amount by other laptops and it works..
    Realised this at first when I first disassembled it, applied some more then, did all what I mentioned in the above post, and reassembled everything..

But turned out I still had to apply some more! Weird really..
    It's like it ate that grease or something! Maybe by Acer somehow the "gap" between the heat sink and the components is a bit wider??

Anyway, thanks for all the replies..

Danny Z

Danny Z

Legendary Member
    Talking about laptops, Does anybody know if ASUS bamboo can be awaken from S5 state using WOL? if yes what BIOS setting should I change?
    I am able to wake it up from S4 given the RJ45 is plugged and its powered but no luck from S5. I have an old IBM thinkpad dating some 10 years back and it has the WOL from S5. I had to tinker with the BIOS to activate it but I can't seem to figure that bamboo, although it is much newer.

Dry Ice

Dry Ice

Legendary Member
    1- I computed 20$ for electricity and internet per PC. How much do internet providers charge for a cafe's connectivity? What is the electricity cost for 15 PCs and a few phosphorescent lights?

2- The printer and snacks will generate more profit.. The cafe can also sell music/movies CD, accessories, etc.. so that could push profits by 250$ monthly

3- There are quite a few internet cafes that are often full from 6 pm till midnight.. so the 50% usage over 12 hours seems reasonable

4- The supervisor and the shop can be monitored by an internet cam.
    The above is for an idea of an internet cafe in Lebanon.. could someone in the know shed some light?

Thanks

LebArmenian

LebArmenian

what's the best non atom small laptop ? ( netbook ) i need a small one , not for me , for my girl, it needs to be FAST ( atoms are slow as i read on the reviews ) and light weight , suggestions ?

dyyyy

dyyyy

what's the best non atom small laptop ? ( netbook ) i need a small one , not for me , for my girl, it needs to be FAST ( atoms are slow as i read on the reviews ) and light weight , suggestions ?
    If price is not an issue, U should check
    - Macbook Air
    - Sony Vaio Y series
    - Lenovo Thinkpad Edge

Venom

Venom

Legendary Member
    anyone facing a problem with youtube?

every time I try to watch something the system freezes, problems started to happen when youtube upgrade their website recently .

kalel

kalel

Orange Room Supporter
    anyone facing a problem with youtube?

every time I try to watch something the system freezes, problems started to happen when youtube upgrade their website recently .

Working fine here after the upgrade.. what browser are u using ? if its crashing it is surely a javascript problem.. can be fixed by updating the browser version or the javascript package..

Venom

Venom

Legendary Member
    Working fine here after the upgrade.. what browser are u using ? if its crashing it is surely a javascript problem.. can be fixed by updating the browser version or the javascript package..
    I tried it on both firefox and explorer and on two different PCs, I will see if it works once upgraded. thx

fidelio

fidelio

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    I don't know if this fits in this particular thread but there's something weird about my laptop. When i unplug the headphones, there's no sound coming out of the built-in speakers. But when i plug them back in, there's sound in both the built-ins and the headphones.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

F

false Morel

I don't know if this fits in this particular thread but there's something weird about my laptop. When i unplug the headphones, there's no sound coming out of the built-in speakers. But when i plug them back in, there's sound in both the built-ins and the headphones.

Any thoughts? Thanks.
    It's a software bug.

What laptop and what OS version do you own?

You need to restart a certain process or restart the whole system for this issue to be resolved. Meanwhile you have to report this bug to the respective manufacturer you bought your PC from.

If you provide the above information I may help locate that process.