The Southern front of Syria - Daraa, Quneitra and Suwaida

Jo

Administrator
Master Penguin
Nothing really exciting happening these 2 past couple of days.

. Hasakah has cooled down and the SAA/NDF + YPG/J are now re-controlling most of the town.

. Daraa offensive is stalling also due to heavy resistance from the SAA and NDF there.

It is early to think that the Southern Front's offensive has failed but i don't see a lot of options for the opposition down there. Lets analyze this a bit:

1. They tried going east towards Suwaida but were repelled by the Druze there; although they didnt go full force but i dont see the point of it anyway.
2. They tried going west towards Qunaitra (Hadar), also the offensive failed there, although they besieged the city for a while, but the SAA/HA front with the help of the Druze managed to break this siege.
3. They tried to enter Daraa and take it but sustained very heavy causalities with more than 100 dead and several vehicles destroyed.
Only one way now they can go, which is north towards the Ghouta pocket, i really doubt they would try that. The regime would defend this area very heavily and i am not sure they can mount a good offensive from there.

Map of southern Syria now so you can guys understand what I am talking about:

631px-2015_Southern_Syria_offensive.svg.png

So as we stand now, the last SF offensive result was:

1. They made it into a very small part of the industrial zone and captured the State Security Branch building. They also gained some ground here and there but they are not worth talking about.
2. They lost their momentum, a lot of men and the Idlib victory spirit.

Map of Daraa now:

CIcDLCaVEAE7cwq.jpg:large

Solutions ?

1. They can try allying themselves with the more Islamist groups (like Jaysh al Fatah). But this will mean that even if they take the city, the Islamist group will govern it.
2. They can continue these little skirmishes here and there until a regional event change the balance of power towards them.

Anymore solutions in sight ?

• Advertisement
  • Booyakasha

. Hasakah has cooled down and the SAA/NDF + YPG/J are now re-controlling most of the town.

. Daraa offensive is stalling also due to heavy resistance from the SAA and NDF there.

It is early to think that the Southern Front's offensive has failed but i don't see a lot of options for the opposition down there. Lets analyze this a bit:

1. They tried going east towards Suwaida but were repelled by the Druze there; although they didnt go full force but i dont see the point of it anyway.
    2. They tried going west towards Qunaitra (Hadar), also the offensive failed there, although they besieged the city for a while, but the SAA/HA front with the help of the Druze managed to break this siege.
    3. They tried to enter Daraa and take it but sustained very heavy causalities with more than 100 dead and several vehicles destroyed.
    Only one way now they can go, which is north towards the Ghouta pocket, i really doubt they would try that. The regime would defend this area very heavily and i am not sure they can mount a good offensive from there.

1. They made it into a very small part of the industrial zone and captured the State Security Branch building. They also gained some ground here and there but they are not worth talking about.

Map of Daraa now:

Solutions ?

1. They can try allying themselves with the more Islamist groups (like Jaysh al Fatah). But this will mean that even if they take the city, the Islamist group will govern it.
    2. They can continue these little skirmishes here and there until a regional event change the balance of power towards them.

Why doesn't the regime take over the two loose circles/pockets and reposition the soldiers surrounding them to the front further south?

Jo

Administrator
    Master Penguin
    Why doesn't the regime take over the two loose circles/pockets and reposition the soldiers surrounding them to the front further south?
    Same reason why the regime cannot take Ghouta etc...

Besides, I dont think the regime can mount a large scale offensive now without the help of the Iraqi Shiaas and/or HA.

Hameed

Because it will cost them a lot of men for an area that is not bothering them.
    they are waiting for it to fall in the hand of ISIS and for ISIS to have public support, se3eta bi fi2o ...... no one is asking them to occupy ghouta ....just kill the people giving ghouta a hard time

4U2IMI8

Map of Daraa now:

Solutions ?

The attack on Deraa and the Southern front was in the planning for a long time. As we all know, it was planned in Jordan, with the approval and support of the US Israel and other countries. They threw everything they have to achieve a surprise victory thinking that Deraa will be easier to occupy than Idlib or Jesr AL Shogoor. Just to be on the safe side, thousands of terrorists equipped with the best weapons were amassed and concentrated in the Deraa city theater to eliminate any chance of failure.

As I said before and many mocked me at the time, the SAA and friends had surprises for them there. The offensive was well known in advance down to the minute and second of the attack. Even when it was delayed, the SAA knew. The attack on the city was planned to be ferocious, and to achieve total shock and awe, seven fronts were attacked simultaneously with thousands of men and heavy cover fire power to overwhelm the defenses, and achieve penetration of one front in a worst case scenario. They estimated that once one line of defense crumbles, all seven will. Deraa was supposed to be the indication to the countries supporting the regime that it’s drawing its last breath.

The surprise was that all seven attacks were repelled completely destroying every offense leaving hundreds of terrorists dead, and the rest barely able to prevent a counterattack.

After the initial seven front attack was destroyed, the powers to be decided that a concentrated attack on an unlikely single front will achieve a big enough opening into the city. Again, that attack was stopped with numerous terrorists killed and hundreds injured.

The intelligence on the Deraa attack was priceless to the point where when a spontaneous meeting was called to discuss the defeats on the fronts, that meeting was bombed to kingdom come killing all the so called leaders that attended it.

What’s next? Like I said before, Deraa will not be allowed to fall, it’s as simple as that. Not only it will be protected like no other city, but sooner or later, the SAA and friends will go on the offense and liberate the occupied part. This will not be contingent on military readiness, but on the political climate.

Lastly, I guess this will be my last post in this thread. Numerous times I begged, and many others too, the administrators of this forum to leave one simple thread for updates on the Syrian war, just updates so members don’t have to go through pages of filth to find a useful post. They threaten, ban, un-ban, beg, and finally relent to the terrorists who flood it with propaganda and useless nauseating exchanges.

Jo

Administrator
    Master Penguin
    Syrian Army Conducts Surprise Attack in Northeast Dara’a

On Thursday morning, the Syrian Arab Army’s 5th Armored Division – in coordination with the National Defense Forces (NDF) and Palestine Liberation Army (Palestinian armed wing of the Syrian Army) – conducted a powerful assault at the town of Saida in the northeastern countryside of the Dara’a Governorate, catching the militants of Jaysh Al-Yarmouk and the Syrian Al-Qaeda group “Jabhat Al-Nusra” off-guard.

As a result of their surprise assault, the Syrian Armed Forces netted as many as 15 enemy casualties from Jabhat Al-Nusra and Jaysh Al-Yarmouk, along with 50 plus assault rifles and cartridges of ammunition that were found at the militant headquarters in the town of Saida.

In addition to their assault on the town of Saida on Thursday morning, the Syrian Arab Army’s 7th Mechanized Division – in coordination with the National Defense Forces and the Palestine Liberation Army – carried out an assault on the Free Syrian Army’s “Southern Front” at the towns of Khirbat and Jabeeb, destroying another militant hideout, while also killing a dozen enemy combatants in the process.

The Syrian Armed Forces have begun to target the towns of Khirbat and Jabeeb after the militants from the Southern Front began their assault on the predominately Druze province of Al-Sweida; these towns are located in the eastern countryside of the Dara’a Governorate, some 10 kilometers from the border of the Al-Sweida Governorate.

Source: Syrian Army Conducts Surprise Attack in Northeast Dara'a

Jo

Administrator
    Master Penguin
    Current situation in #Daraa, stalemate between #SAA vs #Southern_front after offensive by latter

CJI53C0UEAAifjg.jpg:large

Jo

Administrator
    Master Penguin
    #BreakingNews Syrian #FSA rebels start another approach to enter #Daraa city. This time from the north east.

Bandar

Orange Room Supporter
    like i said before, the southern front will keep failing as long as they let their alliances be decided by the USA. throw the CIA out of the operation room and let the SF ally with the other rebels. watch daraa fall in a matter of months, maximum.

Jo

Administrator
    Master Penguin
    like i said before, the southern front will keep failing as long as they let their alliances be decided by the USA. throw the CIA out of the operation room and let the SF ally with the other rebels. watch daraa fall in a matter of months, maximum.
    You mean Nusra ?

Hameed

عاجل | #دمشق اصوات ألانفجارات الضخمة التي تسمع الان وقبل قليل ناتجة عن صواريخ ضخمة تطلق من جبل قاسيون باتجاه بلدات الغوطة الشرقية