The State of the Lebanese Pound

dyyyy

dyyyy

The Lebanese government “may be” making a detrimental “mistake” by not considering one measure that could relieve the Lira/USD crisis, do away with the crippling Dollar “peg”, and keep inflation at bay. The billions of dollar reserves used to uphold the peg could be put to “better use”:

Disband the Lebanese Lira (not forever, mind you!) and make the US Dollar the national currency, as they did and do in Ecuador, Panama, El Salvador, Puerto Rico, Zimbabwe, for instance. Even Lichtenstein uses the Swiss Franc as official currency. Even the former Yugoslavia introduced the Deutsch Mark as national currency when their currency was obliterated.

Given the fact that Lebanon has exhausted all of its monetary policy, this could tackle one major problem of the crisis.

One “drawback” of such a solution is that a country gives up its ability to control monetary policy. Given the fact that Lebanon has not had a good track-record, this may be desirable? Dollarized economies (i.e. taking the USD as the national currency) can no longer print money to bail out or finance unproductive, wasteful or corrupt operations. That may help Lebanon in getting on the “right path”.
I think currently it's almost impossible because the dollars don't exist anymore :D, but yes maybe if we did this all along we wouldn't have got here.
I don't know if switching to USD is a little extreme, but this fixation of the PEG on 1500 was a disaster for us

• Advertisement
  • F

frp

I think currently it's almost impossible because the dollars don't exist anymore :D, but yes maybe if we did this all along we wouldn't have got here.
    I don't know if switching to USD is a little extreme, but this fixation of the PEG on 1500 was a disaster for us
    - Thanks for your input. I am not the expert on Dollarization by "very" far, but by officially dollarizing, you get dollars into Lebanon! "Unofficial" Dollarization in Lebanon started as a reaction to economic instability and high inflation in the 80's and beginning of the 90's. The Dollar peg started in 1998. Basically, the Lebanese have already chosen the Dollar - most transactions are dollar based. The following is very oversimplified, but to the best of my knowledge:

- The Lebanese government concludes an official formal agreement with the United States on making the Dollar the national currency. Actually you don't really need an agreement, but i believe it would be better.
    - The Lebanese authorities determine how many dollars are needed to replace the existing Liras in the market, among other things.
    - The Lebanese government asks the US treasury to ship over the required amount in US dollars. Lebanon pays for the printing and shipping.
    - The dollars arrive in Lebanon and replace the Lira, Lira accounts are converted to dollars etc. Issue here is what will exchange rate be. Since the central bank is setting up some kind of currency board, they may go with that rate.

There are quite some international experts on dollarization, but to the best of my knowledge the government has not engaged with them seriously, or at all. The main issue I believe would be that the government and the central bank would have to give up monetary control (loss of power). There should bean independent discussion with experts by the people of Lebanon, so they know the options, I believe. Again, this could be a limited time move, and once a government is established that meets the peoples needs and demands, the Lira can rule again!

dyyyy

dyyyy

كيف وصلنا لهون؟ خلونا نعيد تصويب النقاش؛ 2016: بدء "الهندسات المالية" اللي هي إعلان أولي للإفلاس. ما نفعت وضل النزف بالدولارات. ما اعترفتوا بإنو هيدا النموذج أفلس. #نكرتوا_الواقع وكمّلتوا (١/٥)

2018: وقفتوا القروض السكنية، حدّيتوا من الاستدانة ولاحقاً وقفتوها. كمان ما نفع. ما اعترفتوا، لجأتوا للشي اللي بتعرفوا: الشحادة والاستدانة بسيدر. ما مشيت. ضل النزف يتفاقم. وانتو #نكرتوا_الواقع (٢/٥)

2019: بلّش الترويج لوهم النفط، بس الوهم بيضل وهم. بلّشت تتراجع الليرة، وتشح الدولارات، وكمّلتوا. علّيتوا الفوايد، زدتوا "الهندسات".بلشت القيود غير المعلنة والاستنسابية من المصارف، وقف ضخّ الدولار ارتفع سعره وهبطت الليرة وغليت الاسعار. اخترعتوا ضرايب جديدة وانفجرت بـ١٧ تشرين (٣/٥)

شو عملتوا؟ شي طلع من الحكومة وهرب. شي اعتبر الانتفاضة عدوته وقرر يحمي النموذج. شكلتو حكومة تكنوقراط وتلطيتوا وراها. اعلنتوا الافلاس اللي أساساً منعرفوا وعايشينو... اجت ازمة كورونا، احتميتوا فيها للالتفاف ع الانتفاضة بتكسير خيم، وفكرتوا كرتونة الاعاشة بتردلكم شرعيتكم. (٤/٥)

الواقع واضح: وعم نحذّر منه من اكتر من سنتين. نموذجكم فلّس! وانتو خطر على استمرارية المجتمع. شو عملتوا #نكرتوا_الواقع ومكمّلين بتبديد المجتمع بخطط تنقذ نموذجكم المفلّس، وبتضيّع الوقت ومستقبل الأجيال (٥/٥)​

dyyyy

dyyyy

It's a bit long, but worth it

Raficoo

Raficoo

So, the rate is about $1 = 3,100 L.L now (even heard 3,250 at some places)
    And I just read this
    Money houses to pay all foreign currency transfers in Lebanese pound: BDL

".....all electronic money transfer houses in Lebanon to convert all foreign currency transfers to the Lebanese pound and at the current market rates."

Really makes me wonder if they're talking about the "2600" rate or the current black market rate.
    In any case, I feel like with this decision, combined with a potential lockdown extension (airport closed for a longer time), a 4000 rate possiblity seems not so impossible in the near future.

TayyarBeino

TayyarBeino

Legendary Member
    @jamil_el_sayyed

·
    19m

رياض سلامة قرّر اليوم: إذا جاييك كمواطن٥٠٠ أو١٠٠٠$ من برّا عبر شركة تحويل مالي، بيجبرك تقبضهم بالليرة بسعر السوق وبياخد هوّي الدولارات، لكن إذا إجاك من برّا آلاف وملايين أل$ عبر البنك، فيك تاخدهم نقداً بالدولار! سلامة!! بأي قانون وأخلاق مسموح تميّز بين $ الغني و$ الفقير؟! إلغيها

TayyarBeino

TayyarBeino

Legendary Member
    صدر عن مصرف لبنان، بيانٌ أشار فيه إلى أنّه "متابعةً للقرار الوسيط المتعلق بالعمليات المالية والمصرفية بالوسائل الالكترونية، ان القرار جاء بناءً على طلب هذه الشركات ولتسهيل خدمة الزبائن".

وأضاف، "عمليات تسديد قيمة التحويلات الالكترونية الواردة من الخارج بالليرة اللبنانية، يجب ان تتم بسعر السوق في يوم التسديد مهما كان السعر وليس بحسب سعر مثبت وكل ما يتم تداوله عن تثبيت سعر الصرف للتسديد التحويلات الالكترونية بالليرة غير صحيح".

وذكر البيان، "ان بإمكان العملاء الراغبون بالحصول على نقد بالدولار الاميركي استعمال الحسابات الخاصة التي تم فتحها في المصارف لهذه الغاية".

dyyyy

dyyyy

موقع بيسمح لكل اللبنانيين واللبنانيّات إنّه يشوفوا بالصور والخرايط والبيانات التفاعليّة كل شي بيتعلّق بموازنة الدولة، وزارة المالية، مصرف لبنان، مين بيملك المصارف، ومواقع الصرافين، والجمارك (الإستيراد والتصدير)..
    هيدا الموقع هوي جزء من الشغل لتصير كل البيانات مفتوحة وسهة للناس وباللغتين العربية والإنكليزية حتى يكون في تحليل، ومساءلة، ومحاسبة.. لكل اللي دعموا وعطوا ملاحظات، شكراً من القلب.​

A site from Gherbal Initiative