The theories of the Universe

JustLeb

JustLeb

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
After watching Interstellar, I was curious to know more about the supposedly extra dimensions of the universe.
According to String theory, the universe does not have only three space dimensions and one time dimension.
It might have (pending proof) eleven space dimensions and one time dimension.

String theory (or later on M theory) has the vocation of being the theory of everything. It tries to consolidate the theory of General Relativity set by Einstein and the theory of Quantom Physics.
The former two theories work well each in its domain but fail in each other domains. General Relativity works on Cosmos (Galaxies, stars etc...), Quantom Physics work on atoms and quarks.
Scientists discovered that both of these theories stop making sense at the level of big bang and black holes.
So String theory started at this point, trying to solve the ambiguity and merge these two theories into one that explains everything.

At this time, String theory was able to overcome mathematical anomalies and was able prove its validity (mathematically speaking).
Scientists believes that with the existence of the Large Hadron Collider of CERN, they might be able to provide physical evidence of the different dimensions predicted by the String Theory.

Here is a simple introduction made by physicist Brian Greene

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Advertisement
  • YOSS

YOSS

The missing part in Einstein theory is the missing molecule formulae called today the Higgs molecule - or the "God particle".

String theory is very interesting only it too lacks what makes that string to give this or that...

So the 'bridge' he's talking about what that string theory does between relativity and quantum physics isn't quite accurate; the higgs molecule may answer both.

Problem is, can one really put a formulae on something so ever changing, ever re-inventing, ever creating? that molecule makes up what creates change, improvements, new things etc. and is present everywhere... how can one determine a formulae for something that is constantly changing by nature; it's existence is to not exist in one form...

I'm no physicist, but seems like a long shot; and I suspect they'll either give up at Cern to accept it as such, or they'll cause a black hole like many scientists including Stephen Hawkins are worried about.

in meantime, it's cool to look at it this way:

U

ufodisko

To fully grasp what's going on it is highly recommended that you understand the atom and its history first.
    It will shed a light on some mysterious concepts and how we got to where we are today in physics.

I highly recommend you to watch "BBC Atom" documentary, it's a summary on the history of the atom and its discoveries.

After that watch "The Elegant Universe" where they talk about 11th dimension, super symmetry, quantum entanglement and so much more.

or they'll cause a black hole like many scientists including Stephen Hawkins are worried about.
    That is hilarious.
    First of all, Stephen Hawking worries about a lot of things and most of his worries are non-sense.
    He's afraid of artificial intelligence, extraterrestrials and Higgs and keeps saying these things will destroy us. The guy seems like he's afraid of his own shadow, where is his sense of adventure and intrigue?

He's a great scientist, one of the greatest, but I think he should tone down his scare mongering.

AtheistForYeezus

AtheistForYeezus

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Halla2 you're going to deny the big bang kamena Mr manifesto on top of the global warming alarmist BS you've been posting? Do you also think the earth is flat and that vaccines cause autism?
    Global warming is real, but the impact of men on the climate is still not well understood.

Similarly, the Big Bang theory is a "theory". It is yet to be proven. Just like God.
    Even scientists admit they still can't explain the origin of the universe.

What's amusing is that you're willing to discount the idea of God due to lack of evidence, but God forbid someone questions the Big Bang! You're an ignorant if you do so!

There's no irrefutable proof that the Big Bang happened. People who call Big Bang deniers idiots are doing so out of arrogance not knowledge.

Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    Global warming is real, but the impact of men on the climate is still not well understood.

Similarly, the Big Bang theory is a "theory". It is yet to be proven. Just like God.
    Even scientists admit they still can't explain the origin of the universe.

What's amusing is that you're willing to discount the idea of God due to lack of evidence, but God forbid someone questions the Big Bang! You're an ignorant if you do so!

There's no irrefutable proof that the Big Bang happened. People who call Big Bang deniers idiots are doing so out of arrogance not knowledge.
    You know what is actually amusing? The fact that you're trying to score some point with me, a physicist, using something like the big bang theory!

The big bang theory is not just a "theory" (not sure you understand what a scientific theory is either) it's the most logical explanation to the current status of our universe, it makes sense based on our observation! We know the universe is expanding, we know galaxies appear redder than they should which means they are moving away from us, we can also measure the cosmic microwave background radiation and have found that they are consistent with those of a perfect blackbody, by observing primordial gas clouds we also know they are consistent with the big bang model, and the abundance of and the ratios to hydrogen of helium, deuterium and lithium suggest the big bang nucleosynthesis is correct!

The evidence for God is not even remotely comparable! God is not even a theory to begin with! Keep in mind I'm agnostic and I don't care about either proving or disproving his existence, however you cannot with a straight face compare faith based belief to an actual scientific theory!

The impact of men on climate change is real according to at least 97% of scientists in the world and so many studies on the subject! You are choosing to ignore all the data, all the studies, everything that has to do with environmental science to keep posting the same thing over and over again! As I said previously, I don't think you're an idiot - the definition being here : someone who ignores an overwhelming amount of evidence to keep posting the same nonsense- so stop acting like one!

Also we are done here! If you want more information about the big bang theory feel free to look it up!

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    For the record, it is a priest that came up with the big bang theory. His name was father Georges Lemaître.

It's funny when atheists claim they are more rational than religious people because they believe in the big bang theory instead of God...not knowing that a priest came up with their scientific theory.

As for global warming:

AtheistForYeezus

AtheistForYeezus

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    You know what is actually amusing? The fact that you're trying to score some point with me, a physicist, using something like the big bang theory!

The big bang theory is not just a "theory" (not sure you understand what a scientific theory is either) it's the most logical explanation to the current status of our universe, it makes sense based on our observation! We know the universe is expanding, we know galaxies appear redder than they should which means they are moving away from us, we can also measure the cosmic microwave background radiation and have found that they are consistent with those of a perfect blackbody, by observing primordial gas clouds we also know they are consistent with the big bang model, and the abundance of and the ratios to hydrogen of helium, deuterium and lithium suggest the big bang nucleosynthesis is correct!

The evidence for God is not even remotely comparable! God is not even a theory to begin with! Keep in mind I'm agnostic and I don't care about either proving or disproving his existence, however you cannot with a straight face compare faith based belief to an actual scientific theory!

The impact of men on climate change is real according to at least 97% of scientists in the world and so many studies on the subject! You are choosing to ignore all the data, all the studies, everything that has to do with environmental science to keep posting the same thing over and over again! As I said previously, I don't think you're an idiot - the definition being here : someone who ignores an overwhelming amount of evidence to keep posting the same nonsense- so stop acting like one!

Also we are done here! If you want more information about the big bang theory feel free to look it up!

Fred Hoyle, one of the most respect astrophysicists of the 20th century also rejected the Big Bang theory.
    Was he an idiot, too?

Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
    Orange Room Supporter
    Let us continue this debate here plz.

@manifesto Hoyle’s QSS theory failed to explain the background radiation left after the rapid inflation had occurred and was dismissed by the scientific community.

The big bang theory has been getting more traction since the 90s with hubble’s findings and more recently with kepler’s imagery.

The universe is expanding at an accelerated rate, there is no doubt about this

AtheistForYeezus

AtheistForYeezus

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Let us continue this debate here plz.

@manifesto Hoyle’s QSS theory failed to explain the background radiation left after the rapid inflation had occurred and was dismissed by the scientific community.

The big bang theory has been getting more traction since the 90s with hubble’s findings and more recently with kepler’s imagery.

The universe is expanding at an accelerated rate, there is no doubt about this
    I don't have the scientific knowledge to go into such debates.
    My point was that the Big Bang theory is a scientific speculation not a certainty.
    By scientific definition, a theory is "a comprehensive explanation of some aspect of nature that is supported by a vast body of evidence".
    Which means that this explanation is not final or irrefutable. Scientists might discover new evidence that contradicts their previous findings.

Which brings me to my point: Why are people who raise doubts on the Big Bang theory considered dumb?
    Only @Isabella is 100% certain that the Big Bang happened. I know of no other physicist who is.

Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
    Orange Room Supporter
    My point was that the Big Bang theory is a scientific speculation not a certainty.
    By scientific definition, a theory is "a comprehensive explanation of some aspect of nature that is supported by a vast body of evidence".
    Which means that this explanation is not final or irrefutable. Scientists might discover new evidence that contradicts their previous findings.

Which brings me to my point: Why are people who raise doubts on the Big Bang theory considered dumb?
    Only @Isabella is 100% certain that the Big Bang happened. I know of no other physicist who is.
    By your definition we should also not take einstein’s relativity theiry very seriously, because well its a theory. Well no, we take it very seriouslyand researches keep corroborating it wth new findings and some others try to find holes with it. Thats how science works.

There are no scientists today who claim that the universe isn't expanding at an accelerating rate, and that is the direct consequence of all the empirical evidence thst has been gathered.
    As for your claim that you dont know any physicist who abides by this definition we have if big bang today, i must say you know quite the avant gardistes physicists :p

AtheistForYeezus

AtheistForYeezus

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    By your definition we should also not take einstein’s relativity theiry very seriously, because well its a theory. Well no, we take it very seriouslyand researches keep corroborating it wth new findings and some others try to find holes with it. Thats how science works.

There are no scientists today who claim that the universe isn't expanding at an accelerating rate, and that is the direct consequence of all the empirical evidence thst has been gathered.
    As for your claim that you dont know any physicist who abides by this definition we have if big bang today, i must say you know quite the avant gardistes physicists :p
    Einstein's Theory of Relativity is 100 Years Old, But May Not Last | Inverse

AtheistForYeezus

AtheistForYeezus

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Don't underestimate my entourage.

Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    Fred Hoyle, one of the most respect astrophysicists of the 20th century also rejected the Big Bang theory.
    Was he an idiot, too?
    Yes he was I'll quote a post where I've already stated my opinion on him! I really have no idea why you've decided to argue with me on this lol

Edit: Can't seem to find that post where I detailed it, but to put it in simple terms Fred Hoyle is an idiot because he insisted on his steady state model despite being proven wrong with empirical evidence! It's actually funny I've had this same debate with an atheist because I told him god was theoretically possible before the big bang and now you lol

Last edited:
    Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    For the record, it is a priest that came up with the big bang theory. His name was father Georges Lemaître.

It's funny when atheists claim they are more rational than religious people because they believe in the big bang theory instead of God...not knowing that a priest came up with their scientific theory.

As for global warming:

That's not what anyone claimed ms strawman and no one denied Lemaitre's contribution to the big bang theory!

As for global warming please take it up with the pope!

Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter

It is not Isabella who is 100% certain it is actually the truth! The big bang theory is supported by a massive amount of evidence and fits with our observations and the laws of physics in general albeit they break down at the point of singularity! A theory in science is held true until proven otherwise, it's not otherwise so it's freaking true!

This is not the hill for you to die on!

By the way if you "don't have scientific knowledge to go into such debates" here's a simple solution for you: don't!

Last edited:
    Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    Did you miss this part?
    It's not even new findings! It's a flashy title but physicists have known for a while that general relativity breaks down at black holes and singularities this observation just confirmed it!

AtheistForYeezus

AtheistForYeezus

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Did you miss this part?

So we agree that a scientific theory by nature is not settled. It's a work in progress, open to change and revision.
    Hence, people who cast doubts on some scientific theories aren't necessarily dumb.
    Thank you for proving my point :)

Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    So we agree that a scientific theory by nature is not settled. It's a work in progress, open to change and revision.
    Hence, people who cast doubts on some scientific theories aren't necessarily dumb.
    Thank you for proving my point :)
    Nope once again! You are focused on the theory part of scientific theory! The gravitational waves observation actually confirmed einstein's theory of general relativity albeit cast doubt with the echos on how efficient it is at describing the event horizon of a blackhole! That doesn't mean his theory is a work in progress or open to change and revision, it just means it is incomplete... Just like Newton's laws broke down and were incomplete but are still true on earth!

People who cast doubts on scientific theories without understanding the definition of the word theory when it comes to science and argue as you did that the big bang model is somehow false or that global warming is not influenced by humans without having observation or evidence backing up their claims and insisting on being correct despite being proven wrong repeatedly are on the other hand at least slightly dumb! What would you call someone who insists on being right despite all evidence and logic?