• Hello Guest

Please bear with us! The Orange Room is being restructured.

The U.S. is building a new embassy in Awkar - Beirut. TBD in 2023

Jo

Administrator
Master Penguin
The Bureau of Overseas Buildings Operations Announces the Construction Award for the New U.S. Embassy in Beirut, Lebanon

The Department of State awarded the construction contract for the new U.S. Embassy complex in Beirut, Lebanon to B.L. Harbert of Birmingham, Alabama.

The multi-building complex will be situated on a 43-acre site in Awkar, near the current U.S. Embassy Compound. The new complex will include a Chancery, a Marine Security Guard Residence, representational and staff housing, facilities for the community and associated support facilities. The project is expected to be ready for occupancy in 2023.

The architect is Morphosis of California.

As part of the Department’s Capital Security Construction Program the Bureau of Overseas Buildings Operations has completed 133 new diplomatic facilities since 1999 with an additional 52 projects in design or under construction.

The mission of the Bureau of Overseas Buildings Operations is to provide safe, secure, and functional facilities that represent the U.S. government to host nations and support our staff in achieving U.S. foreign policy objectives. These facilities represent U.S. values and the best in U.S. architecture, engineering, technology, sustainability, art, culture, and construction execution.

The Bureau of Overseas Buildings Operations Announces the Construction Award for the New U.S. Embassy in Beirut, Lebanon

• Advertisement
  • Jo

Administrator
    Master Penguin
    This is how the new U.S. Embassy in Lebanon will look like

[...]

The embassy will be eco-friendly. Over 75% of the wastewater will be reused. The design also includes solar panels to achieve Net Zero Energy.

The new embassy will be located near the existing Embassy Compound. The project will cost $1,026,043,688.

[...]

Source and more: This is how the new U.S. Embassy in Lebanon will look like

spacecreature

By the way that's next to my house and I have always hated that. Maybe when it's finished I will like it better. The two military stops before and after it create a lot of unecessary traffic for one, n u have to stop n lower your window for the soldier standing and anytime the US does something wrong , the protestors come in big numbers and they have to close down the road! Not to mention the mere fact of driving next to it flashes images of Gouantanamo Bay in my mind. It's like a war zone, and the guards at the front of the embassy stare at you like they want to kill you if you look in their direction while driving by haha! And now that they are rebuilding it, the road is always bad with sand everywhere, workers, forklifts etc causing even more traffic!
    I was all excited when there were talks of possibly moving it to Beirut a while back, but then they ended up swapping lands and sticking to Awkar. Supposedly coz they would have been closer to Hzbl rockets (that's the neswen el foron version around here lol)

opium

What happened to the land they bought in Baabda few years ago. They paid 1 billion usd for it. I know they canceled the project there because it is close to Dahieh. Btw most of the properties and lands around were bought by Hizb affiliates back then also. What a waste.

JeanH

Orange Room Supporter

The Department of State awarded the construction contract for the new U.S. Embassy complex in Beirut, Lebanon to B.L. Harbert of Birmingham, Alabama.

The multi-building complex will be situated on a 43-acre site in Awkar, near the current U.S. Embassy Compound. The new complex will include a Chancery, a Marine Security Guard Residence, representational and staff housing, facilities for the community and associated support facilities. The project is expected to be ready for occupancy in 2023.

The architect is Morphosis of California.

As part of the Department’s Capital Security Construction Program the Bureau of Overseas Buildings Operations has completed 133 new diplomatic facilities since 1999 with an additional 52 projects in design or under construction.

The mission of the Bureau of Overseas Buildings Operations is to provide safe, secure, and functional facilities that represent the U.S. government to host nations and support our staff in achieving U.S. foreign policy objectives. These facilities represent U.S. values and the best in U.S. architecture, engineering, technology, sustainability, art, culture, and construction execution.

Why dont they award it to a local contractor ?! Or will they be employing local subcontractor i suppose

spacecreature

What’s their use of an embassy of that scale? It’s practically a military base
    This will be the biggest base in Middle East
    Everything seems to be pointing to a bigger importance for Lebanon in the American agenda. In the Rome II summit, the US was apparently quite generous too and unexpectedly so. Not sure if that should make us more worried, or more confident that things will be calmer from now on as they wouldnt want to mess up the security n stability surrounding their new base?

spacecreature

What happened to the land they bought in Baabda few years ago. They paid 1 billion usd for it. I know they canceled the project there because it is close to Dahieh. Btw most of the properties and lands around were bought by Hizb affiliates back then also. What a waste.
    They swapped it with this land which is a wa2ef for the church , so the church supposedly got the Baabda land in return. If you look at the awkar plot, there is even an old traditional church that is now isolated and completely inaccessible so I guess the embassy will have their own private church now :)