The War in Syria - How would you end it

Hameed

If you were one of the contributing parties in the Syrian conflict, what would you do to end the war ?!

Kindly just input your opinion, do not discuss it

• Advertisement
  • light-in-dark

Legendary Member
    In round table discussion for a new constitution where every party can take a certain part in the new government. As in taef of Lebanon all political issues and privileges will be between the hand of the whole cabinet not only in between PM hands. Bashar Assad can still on the power as President and Kaed know at el moussala7 a el souria. All parties, confessions and sects in Syria may have a seat in the government and of course in the parliament too.
    This is the first step to have Peace between people and stop killing civilians.
    After that we can wait to find the decent solution formsyria. Steps after will follow.

Jo

Administrator
    Master Penguin
    Depends on the political situation.

The only feasible and possible scenario now to end the war is the division of Syria/Iraq.

Jo

Administrator
    Master Penguin
    Depends on the political situation.

The only feasible and possible scenario now to end the war is the division of Syria/Iraq.
    Something like this. Only I would put Idlib and Aleppo in the Sunni areas.

middle+east+g+-+capitals+++countries.png

Hameed

Create there a LGBT republic? ;)
    no seriously, I was asking if you were one of the contributing party in the war, how would you stop it. So basically you have to announce which party you support or cheer for in Syria and depending on your capabilities ( as this party ): how you would end it ?

Rising Phoenix

no seriously, I was asking if you were one of the contributing party in the war, how would you stop it. So basically you have to announce which party you support or cheer for in Syria and depending on your capabilities ( as this party ): how you would end it ?
    My own assessment is that political solution is impossible. Any solution starts with a military achievement then the creation of a federal state.

BlaiseP

Everyone understands the problems created by Sykes-Picot. The answers may be a very old one, going back to Ottoman times, the vilayet and the millet. Though the Ottomans were Turkish - and Sunni - they governed many people who weren't. Where they encountered groups who might otherwise have resisted them on religious grounds, they encapsulated them into millets, allowing them to largely govern themselves. This is a bit simplistic, and the Ottoman vilayets and sanjaks weren't always governed well, but the Ottomans understood how to govern outsiders and it worked for six centuries. They never played the game of the Nation State.

Look, everyone reading this knows and loves Lebanon, I presume. Evil befell Lebanon when the various factions felt themselves oppressed. A millet-type system provides a structure for all these groups to exist - and the vilayet would provide a mechanism to sort out their differences. For Lebanon, this wouldn't be had to implement. But across Syria and Iraq, it would be harder.

Wouldn't be easy but it would be practical. And it would be something we'd known before Sykes-Picot.

Bandar

Orange Room Supporter
    exactly how it is going now - continued military operation until the regime is utterly defeated, and its supporters on a plane to moscow/tehran.

If you were one of the contributing parties in the Syrian conflict, what would you do to end the war ?!

Kindly just input your opinion, do not discuss it
    1) Compel Israel -- with U.S. troops on the ground if necessary -- to end their occupation of Palestine, guarantee the right of return of all Palestinian refugees, pay full reparations to all Palestinian citizens who have been harassed, imprisoned, had property stolen from them, and/or had relatives injured or killed by Israelis. 2) Compel Israel -- with U.S. troops on the ground if necessary -- to form a bi-national state with equal rights for all of its citizens, regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, culture and nationality.

Hameed

1) Compel Israel -- with U.S. troops on the ground if necessary -- to end their occupation of Palestine, guarantee the right of return of all Palestinian refugees, pay full reparations to all Palestinian citizens who have been harassed, imprisoned, had property stolen from them, and/or had relatives injured or killed by Israelis. 2) Compel Israel -- with U.S. troops on the ground if necessary -- to form a bi-national state with equal rights for all of its citizens, regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, culture and nationality.
    what does it have to do with the war in Syria ?!

what does it have to do with the war in Syria ?!
    This would be a first step, at most, for reducing and eliminating anger, divisions, and political obstacles throughout the Middle East. The U.S. would demonstrate that it intends to be a peace-oriented, impartial broker in negotiations between different ethnic, religious and cultural factions living in the region. Extremism and violence of all varieties should be discouraged in a pragmatic manner with meaningful incentives -- and I don't mean just money -- deployed in a manner to heal wounds, solve problems, encourage peaceful coexistence. In my view, virtually all the indiscriminate killing in the region stems, primarily, from the Nakba, Israel's unlawful secret attack of its neighbors during the Six-Day War, and the resulting occupation of Palestinian and Syrian land.

Nonan

Given that Hameed tried to start a thoughtful thread, I will try to be constructive:
    If I were the regime, I would
    - Withdraw from Aleppo, Deir El Zorr and Hassakah
    - Strengthen defense lines from Lattakie through Damascus and the South front
    - Clean-up the "pockets" of resistants
    - Shift towards rebuilding Syria and count of endless divisions across the opposition to keep them weak

If I were the opposition, well, the question is which party and what are their objectives. I didn't see any real attempt at self governing or presenting a credible alternative to Assad but let's say, for the sake of argument that there are 2 opposition:
    ISIS - Keep doing what they are doing. They have no incentive to end the war, they would lose their appeal
    The other "opposition" - depends on their strength and where they see their backers helping them (although they should be aware, nothing comes for free). I would try to demonstrate they are credible at running portions of a country (e.g., Idlib) and offer more to the population than just more fighting

Of course, this all depends on conjunctures and is done without any knowledge of the forces and capabilities each party has