Traveling to live and work in france

I am a 20 year old NDU NLC student (computer science, 3rd year). I graduate before summer of 2019 (less than a year from now).
I have maintained a gpa of 3.9, and have a lot of experience through multiple internships at good companies.

I am planning on going to France to study there (masters degree) AND work. Work is more important since i need a source of income.
When i say work, i mean work in the computer science field, and not in some random mcdonalds.

Now here's the catch: I'm a french citizen. I have the nationality from my father.

I would like to know what are the benefits of the nationality, like, what sets me apart from another lebanese student going to france to work/study.
so i'll just list my questions:
  1. How beneficial is my French ID for studying, working and living in france
  2. what sets me apart from a normal lebanese student trying to study/work in france
  3. How good is france really? like how good is it concerning computer science and all...
  4. what is the necessary paperwork and accolades to work/study/live in france? do i need to do some sort of french test etc...
As you can tell i am pretty naive lol, hence why i resorted to the forum. Also, if i'm posting in the wrong section i apologize. I'm new here.
Thank you for your time.

• Advertisement
  • Dark Angel

Legendary Member
    I am a 20 year old NDU NLC student (computer science, 3rd year). I graduate before summer of 2019 (less than a year from now).
    I have maintained a gpa of 3.9, and have a lot of experience through multiple internships at good companies.

I am planning on going to France to study there (masters degree) AND work. Work is more important since i need a source of income.
    When i say work, i mean work in the computer science field, and not in some random mcdonalds.

Now here's the catch: I'm a french citizen. I have the nationality from my father.

I would like to know what are the benefits of the nationality, like, what sets me apart from another lebanese student going to france to work/study.
    2. what sets me apart from a normal lebanese student trying to study/work in france
    3. How good is france really? like how good is it concerning computer science and all...
    4. what is the necessary paperwork and accolades to work/study/live in france? do i need to do some sort of french test etc...
    As you can tell i am pretty naive lol, hence why i resorted to the forum. Also, if i'm posting in the wrong section i apologize. I'm new here.
    Thank you for your time.
    welcome the forum. you know there used to be a time where the french citizenship offered many advantages, especially in france :p

now my advice to you is to board a boat go there as a refugee, dont forget to ditch your french passport in the med sea on your way :bag::angel:

Iron Maiden

Thank you for your time.
    Dude u're a french citizen, what's the difference u ask with the ither lebanese students who are going through the same process as you? Fricking everything!! :lol:
    Easy life for you, headache for them.
    Shkor rabbak ;)

Yes france/paris is a very good place for CS graduates, depending on what you're looking to do. Many startups with cool projects, lots of meetups groups to find and devellop ur interrests but shitty pay, as the job isnt held in high value around here since it doesnt have a human layer to it.

SeaAb

Staff member

Thank you for your time.
    Welcome to the forum @HenryFa.
    @Isabella @Iron Maiden @JustLeb You guys can help.

Isabella

The Queen Of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter

Thank you for your time.
    Did you already apply and secure yourself a masters? If not then do it now! I think it's the last window and nearly closing before August for an m1!

France offers many advantages to students including scholarships and whatnot that are more readily available for French students, work on the other hand is a lot harder to come by since you're going for something in your field when you have no degree. You can probably find some work teaching code or whatever you computer science majors do lol!

How good is France concerning computer science, I have absolutely no idea, @Iron Maiden can help more in that area lol! But I absolutely love this country and everything about it! So France in general is great in my opinion :p

Since you're a French citizen you don't need anything however if you are coming to Ile de France you need to work on finding yourself a place to stay, securing a scholarship if you need one and maybe preparing some paperworks for caf since I know they offer many financial aids for students.

wow never thought the forums were that active, thanks for all the replies!!
    Well i do hope me being french would grant me some form of special treatment. Maybe an easier time when trying to find a house, a cheap uni and work. I'm going to take your advices about scolarships, i've worked hard for my gpa just to get higher chances of scolarships and better recommendation from my doctors. Thank you again for the replies. If anyone reading the post has any advice, in any way related to my question, please post. It'll help me a lot.

Skunk

Orange Room Supporter
    Well i do hope me being french would grant me some form of special treatment. Maybe an easier time when trying to find a house, a cheap uni and work. I'm going to take your advices about scolarships, i've worked hard for my gpa just to get higher chances of scolarships and better recommendation from my doctors. Thank you again for the replies. If anyone reading the post has any advice, in any way related to my question, please post. It'll help me a lot.
    Your french citizenship should not give you any advantage finding a house (@Isabella ?), ie you'll get the same treatment as anyone else
    The big plus of being french, is that you can legally work fulltime there without a work permit or sponsorship.
    I live in EU but not in France, here, Students from pre-defined nationalties can legally work part time (20 hours a week maximum).
    So finding a job should be easy in your case.

Isabella

The Queen Of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    Your french citizenship should not give you any advantage finding a house (@Isabella ?), ie you'll get the same treatment as anyone else
    The big plus of being french, is that you can legally work fulltime there without a work permit or sponsorship.
    I live in EU but not in France, here, Students from pre-defined nationalties can legally work part time (20 hours a week maximum).
    Yes that's true, however French citizenship may give him an advantage finding student accomodations but those are typically immediately filled up by march I think for the following school year

Good Insight. I hope the whole "finding a place to live" thing won't be hard if that's the case.
    honestly what i care about the most is finding a job that'll increase my skills all while earning enough money to survive there. As for uni, i heard they are almost free (public unis)

Yes that's true, however French citizenship may give him an advantage finding student accomodations but those are typically immediately filled up by march I think for the following school year
    wow that's actually pretty interesting. I'm going to be researching more about the student accomodation programs offered.

Isabella

The Queen Of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    Well we would be able to help more if we knew for example whether you :

1. Were already admitted into a masters degree or are still looking for one?
    2. Where is the area you are considering ?
    3. Have you already gotten a place to stay/ applied for student accomodations? If not, religious accomodations are easier to get into but they have stricter rules as well, also most scholarships come with a student accomodation.
    4. Are these questions for the upcoming year? 2018-2019? If so, I don't mean to discourage you but you're a bit late for scholarships but being French you can apply for financial aid for students once you get here it will cover most of your expenses.
    5. The letters of recommendation go a long way

Iron Maiden

The housing thing is objectively true, but on the ground its not.

Racial bias is a thing, and being french can help a lot.

An arab single hairy guy is at the bottom of the feeding chain when it comes to housing prispects sadly.

@HenryFa i recommend you find a colloc and live with other people, its cheaoer and u can start making friends

Well we would be able to help more if we knew for example whether you :

1. Were already admitted into a masters degree or are still looking for one?
    2. Where is the area you are considering?
    3. Have you already gotten a place to stay/ applied for student accommodation? If not, religious accommodation is easier to get into but they have stricter rules as well, also most scholarships come with a student accommodation.
    4. Are these questions for the upcoming year? 2018-2019? If so, I don't mean to discourage you but you're a bit late for scholarships but being French you can apply for financial aid for students once you get here it will cover most of your expenses.
    5. The letters of recommendation go a long way
    1. I'm still a junior here at NDU. I have about 40 credits left (I'll be able to finish before the summer of 2019). I'm not admitted into any masters degree yet. and Tbh my first priority is finding a job.
    2. Any area that is not expensive to live at. I won't be going to a place like PARIS for example, I heard it's much more expensive than other cities. I am considering Lille because my friends live there ( i might be sharing a house with them). One of my friends recommended Toulouse, but I still haven't done any research.
    3. student accommodation is something you intrigued me with. I'm going to start doing research about it. what is religious accommodation though?
    4. these questions are for 2019-2020. a year at least from now
    5. I am working hard towards that!! I am trying to excel at every single course and befriend all doctors just for that matter. I really need to make this whole 'going to France to work and study' thing work.

The housing thing is objectively true, but on the ground its not.

Racial bias is a thing, and being french can help a lot.

An arab single hairy guy is at the bottom of the feeding chain when it comes to housing prispects sadly.

@HenryFa i recommend you find a colloc and live with other people, its cheaoer and u can start making friends
    Exactly what I was thinking! I am discussing living with my friends in a shared house.
    As for the racism part, it's very sad indeed. But in my case, I'm sure I won't suffer from it. I'm more European than Arab in my looks lol :p

Skunk

Orange Room Supporter
    Exactly what I was thinking! I am discussing living with my friends in a shared house.
    As for the racism part, it's very sad indeed. But in my case, I'm sure I won't suffer from it. I'm more European than Arab in my looks lol :p
    Be careful, Europe can suck you in
    Always remember that Lebanon needs you,
    you can now vote in your embassy as well (3ahd achievement)
    Stay strong

Isabella

The Queen Of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    1. I'm still a junior here at NDU. I have about 40 credits left (I'll be able to finish before the summer of 2019). I'm not admitted into any masters degree yet. and Tbh my first priority is finding a job.
    2. Any area that is not expensive to live at. I won't be going to a place like PARIS for example, I heard it's much more expensive than other cities. I am considering Lille because my friends live there ( i might be sharing a house with them). One of my friends recommended Toulouse, but I still haven't done any research.
    3. student accommodation is something you intrigued me with. I'm going to start doing research about it. what is religious accommodation though?
    4. these questions are for 2019-2020. a year at least from now
    5. I am working hard towards that!! I am trying to excel at every single course and befriend all doctors just for that matter. I really need to make this whole 'going to France to work and study' thing work.
    1. Good, it will give you time to find and apply for scholarships I think they remain open until April, and they typically give you 1000 euros/month with a place to stay (about 400 or so/month) so scholarships will save you a lot of hassle! Check Ile de France bourses for Parisian universities, if not you have to look for regional scholarships. You don't need to find a job since you can live a pretty decent life just with the scholarship, however it would be much easier to look for a job once you're in the country!

2. To be honest Paris is not all that expensive when compared to other cities except when it comes to rent, depending on the university you can live in the suburbs of paris, alternatively if you had a scholarship bourse Ile de France will put you in cite universitaire, rent there was 400 euros for a single room last time I checked, which makes Paris exactly the same as any other city for you! The advantage Paris offers over other cities in France is that you get to meet and mingle with people from all over the world and transportation is much easier.

3. Religious accomodations are what I had to apply to when I first got to France to find a place to stay, it's a dormitory type thing run by either priests or nuns lol! Rules were very strict : had to get home by 9 pm, they would search my room, etc. But I had a place to stay... Student accomodations are housings at the university, but those fill up super fast, like ridiculously fast!

4. It's good you started your research early! Recommendation letters count a lot as I said make sure you go for a teacher who really likes you lol :p

5. I think for now it would be better for you to focus on the "study" you will get internships your first and second years during your masters and with a scholarship and the financial aids offered to students you can lead a pretty decent life, however student work is also readily available at universities and l'étudiant.fr but it's mostly help with studies, teaching English, babysitting etc. So not really in your major kind of work

1. Good, it will give you time to find and apply for scholarships I think they remain open until April, and they typically give you 1000 euros/month with a place to stay (about 400 or so/month) so scholarships will save you a lot of hassle! Check Ile de France bourses for Parisian universities, if not you have to look for regional scholarships. You don't need to find a job since you can live a pretty decent life just with the scholarship, however it would be much easier to look for a job once you're in the country!

2. To be honest Paris is not all that expensive when compared to other cities except when it comes to rent, depending on the university you can live in the suburbs of paris, alternatively if you had a scholarship bourse Ile de France will put you in cite universitaire, rent there was 400 euros for a single room last time I checked, which makes Paris exactly the same as any other city for you! The advantage Paris offers over other cities in France is that you get to meet and mingle with people from all over the world and transportation is much easier.

3. Religious accomodations are what I had to apply to when I first got to France to find a place to stay, it's a dormitory type thing run by either priests or nuns lol! Rules were very strict : had to get home by 9 pm, they would search my room, etc. But I had a place to stay... Student accomodations are housings at the university, but those fill up super fast, like ridiculously fast!

4. It's good you started your research early! Recommendation letters count a lot as I said make sure you go for a teacher who really likes you lol :p

5. I think for now it would be better for you to focus on the "study" you will get internships your first and second years during your masters and with a scholarship and the financial aids offered to students you can lead a pretty decent life, however student work is also readily available at universities and l'étudiant.fr but it's mostly help with studies, teaching English, babysitting etc. So not really in your major kind of work
    Your advice will go a long way in my future decisions concerning my life, thank you for that!
    I'll be using it to start my research into the matter. Thank you, and Good Wishes for a pain-free delivery and Healthy baby!