• Before posting an article from a specific source, check this list here to see how much the Orange Room trust it. You can also vote/change your vote based on the source track record.

UK Brexit from EU June 23rd

D

Deleted member 73465

actually i saw it coming, but not that early.
In fact, that would be the wisest thing to do.
Better vote again, hoping to cancel it and save themselves a disastrous extension.
Brexit will not be cancelled. It’s a complicated decision true. But not to the extent that it should be cancelled. Maybe the EU wants this and that’s why they made tough stance on the negotiations. The UK will go on with the plan. Maybe a soft version of brexit is more likely in the coming weeks or months

Resign

Orange Room Supporter
Brexit will not be cancelled. It’s a complicated decision true. But not to the extent that it should be cancelled. Maybe the EU wants this and that’s why they made tough stance on the negotiations. The UK will go on with the plan. Maybe a soft version of brexit is more likely in the coming weeks or months

Possibly,
But the EU has to set a precedent for the next country that decides to leave.
They will not go easy in the negotiations.

The main problem was the Irish Backstop,
EU proved that they are going to stand by their member states at all costs.
No deal that hurts Ireland will be negotiated, even if the negotiating party is a world super power.

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
Orange Room Supporter
Yes that is what the EU wants actually but it won’t be passed.

l

Welllll... That's actually what the British MPs want since they are the ones bringing the second referendum issue to a vote!
And yes it likely won't pass, it says so in the article i linked in the post you quoted :p

Spoiler: it did not

Last edited:

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
Orange Room Supporter
Brexit: MPs vote against Labour amendment for 'different approach' – Politics live

Text of government motion
MPs are now voting on the government motion.
It says:
That this house:
(1) notes the resolutions of the house of 12 and 13 March, and accordingly agrees that the government will seek to agree with the European Union an extension of the period specified in article 50(3);
(2) agrees that, if the house has passed a resolution approving the negotiated withdrawal agreement and the framework for the future relationship for the purposes of section 13(1) (b) of the European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2018 by 20 March 2019, then the government will seek to agree with the European Union a one-off extension of the period specified in article 50(3) for a period ending on 30 June 2019 for the purpose of passing the necessary EU exit legislation; and
(3) notes that, if the house has not passed a resolution approving the negotiated withdrawal agreement and the framework for the future relationship for the purposes of section 13(1)(b) of the European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2018 by 20 March 2019, then it is highly likely that the European council at its meeting the following day would require a clear purpose for any extension, not least to determine its length, and that any extension beyond 30 June 2019 would require the United Kingdom to hold European parliament elections in May 2019.​

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
Orange Room Supporter
16 Majority
Very close

A second referendum, while democratically inappropriate, will save the governement from the hole they’re in.
However, They’re just not going to hand Labour a free win
That’s all

I thought even labour did not back this second referendum, they thought it was too early for this call ?

I find the whole Brexit thing quite confusing at the moment lol
they don't want the deal they have, they don't want to stay and they don't want to leave with a no deal. They want an extension to discuss what they want further, but it's getting increasingly obvious they don't really know what they want!

I don't really want to play with this toy anymore but if you want it, then i'm taking it back!

Resign

Orange Room Supporter
I thought even labour did not back this second referendum, they thought it was too early for this call ?

I find the whole Brexit thing quite confusing at the moment lol
they don't want the deal they have, they don't want to stay and they don't want to leave with a no deal. They want an extension to discuss what they want further, but it's getting increasingly obvious they don't really know what they want!

I don't really want to play with this toy anymore but if you want it, then i'm taking it back!

Labour called for the amendment
Labour don’t want Brexit at all
Heck i even doubt Conservatives want Brexit either at this point.
It’s all theatrical, they’re simply buying time maybe they can secure a better deal.

EU showed willingness to accept an extension. EU doesn’t want Britain to leave without a deal either simply because Ireland will be hurt.

A united Ireland is back on the table, however not even the Irish government wants that.
No one wants Northern Ireland.

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
Orange Room Supporter
European commission stresses article 50 extension not automatic, and EU would have to consider its own interests
The European commission has issued a response to tonight’s vote. It is stressing that the UK would not automatically be granted an extension to article 50, and it says the EU would have to consider its own interests when deciding whether to agree one.

D

Deleted member 73465

Labour called for the amendment
Labour don’t want Brexit at all
Heck i even doubt Conservatives want Brexit either at this point.
It’s all theatrical, they’re simply buying time maybe they can secure a better deal.

EU showed willingness to accept an extension. EU doesn’t want Britain to leave without a deal either simply because Ireland will be hurt.

A united Ireland is back on the table, however not even the Irish government wants that.
No one wants Northern Ireland.
Remember more than half voted to leave. Th conservat
Welllll... That's actually what the British MPs want since they are the ones bringing the second referendum issue to a vote!
And yes it likely won't pass, it says so in the article i linked in the post you quoted :p

Spoiler: it did not
a second referendum will not occur at least not until Brexit happens for all good reasons. If held again:
the Scots want another referendum
The same deadlock will occur. Don’t underestimate how people hate the bureaucracy and the latest attitude by the EU institutions toward the UK.

I think the onus lies on Corbyn. Had he backed EU during and after referendum he would have won the election and started soft Brexit earlier.

The conservative want to break with the EU who played it politically hold trying to annex NI. They are playing a game to keep UK within with time. The conservative know that and this will give them more incentives to simply vote for a soft Brexit and get out without delaying much more than few weeks or months .

D

Deleted member 73465

European commission stresses article 50 extension not automatic, and EU would have to consider its own interests
The European commission has issued a response to tonight’s vote. It is stressing that the UK would not automatically be granted an extension to article 50, and it says the EU would have to consider its own interests when deciding whether to agree one.

It is all bla-bla-bla. The default then is a no deal something that they don’t want. It is just to exercise some power

Resign

Orange Room Supporter
From practical point of view this development must please Brexit supporter very much.

what do you mean ?
Those are British people who are eligible for an Irish passport (and those are plenty, any Northern Irish can automatically apply for an Irish passport no questions asked, majority of scottish people are from Irish descent, lots of english/welsh too)
Those people are making sure they preserve an 'EU' identity post Brexit, then why Brexit ?

proIsrael-nonIsraeli

Legendary Member
what do you mean ?
Those are British people who are eligible for an Irish passport (and those are plenty, any Northern Irish can automatically apply for an Irish passport no questions asked, majority of scottish people are from Irish descent, lots of english/welsh too)
Those people are making sure they preserve an 'EU' identity post Brexit, then why Brexit ?

Don't hey have to get rid of British citizenship to get Irish one?

If so, then there'll be 230K less in opposition to Brexit.

Resign

Orange Room Supporter
Don't hey have to get rid of British citizenship to get Irish one?

If so, then there'll be 230K less in opposition to Brexit.

(230k since January, as i said this has been going on since 2016)

No

both states allow dual/multiple citizenships
Those people are going to remain as British citizens however they now hold an EU passport aswell as a 'just in case'

Besides, post Brexit British people will go back applying for visas and permits around Europe,
!except the ones that now hold Irish passports (who will remain allowed legally to reside/work/study and eligible for social services in any EU country VISA Free)

proIsrael-nonIsraeli

Legendary Member
(230k since January, as i said this has been going on since 2016)

No

both states allow dual/multiple citizenships
Those people are going to remain as British citizens however they now hold an EU passport as well as a 'just in case'

Besides, post Brexit British people will go back applying for visas and permits around Europe,
!except the ones that now hold Irish passports (who will remain allowed legally to reside/work/study and eligible for social services in any EU country VISA Free)

OK, then I am wrong.