Urbanism in lebanon

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
Let's develop on this post from the real estate thread (where some photos have already been posted)...

And it's not an isolated case. Many Christian areas are like this now, or on the verge of it.

The whole coast from Bourj Hammoud to Jounieh. All around the road from Antelias to Bikfaya. And some other areas as well.
The lack of urbanism in Lebanon is staggering. Lebanon shares a sea, a climate, and a natural topography with the European Mediterranean regions, but the lack of care for its natural beauty has disfigured the country.

Maybe by posting pictures of what these regions have become, we can wake some people up.

• Advertisement
  • The_FPMer

The_FPMer

The problem is that the Lebanese lack the slightest idea of their responsibilities as citizens of the country and the ones in power are straight up demons in human form.

O Brother

O Brother

Legendary Member
    This what happens when you want to crowd a little tiny piece of land surrounded by an extremely narrowed imaginary borders!
    The whole Lebanese coast is a chain of ugly concrete buildings.. it seems we are heading this way in the mountains as well..
    oops this might be already the case!

This country have failed on all levels.. ohh the western life style is so beautiful and healthyyyyy :bag:

Last edited:
    The_FPMer

The_FPMer

Someone start a fanpage and get people to share. FB is the easiest tool to get this thing viral. Everyone will start sharing pics. It will never go mainstream by just posting on this forum.

O Brother

O Brother

Legendary Member
    On a serious note our country can not cap with a western life style.. which is a very consume based life style!
    This is the root of the problem specially in our case, we are not built as country to this kinda of high level of consumerism!

We do not have the infrastructure the developed world started building in their early 1970s to accept this kind of consumer level we are witnessing today even they are having hard time dealing with it!

The best solution would be to change our life style but that seems somehow unrealistic!

But the western lifestyle proved to be extremely destructive!

These ugly modern concrete buildings are western inspired maybe we should go back a little and see how those before us lived and how they built their homes!

This extreme modernism adaptation is what screwed us!

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Sin El Fil

Nice balconies and windows...to feel like you're in an aquarium looking at a wall...

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    This what happens when you want to crowd a little tiny piece of land surrounded by an extremely narrowed imaginary borders!
    The whole Lebanese coast is a chain of ugly concrete buildings.. it seems we are heading this way in the mountains as well..
    oops this might be already the case!

This country have failed on all levels.. ohh the western life style is so beautiful and healthyyyyy :bag:
    On a serious note our country can not cap with a western life style.. which is a very consume based life style!
    This is the root of the problem specially in our case, we are not built as country to this kinda of high level of consumerism!

We do not have the infrastructure the developed world started building in their early 1970s to accept this kind of consumer level we are witnessing today even they are having hard time dealing with it!

The best solution would be to change our life style but that seems somehow unrealistic!

But the western lifestyle proved to be extremely destructive!

These ugly modern concrete buildings are western inspired maybe we should go back a little and see how those before us lived and how they built their homes!

This extreme modernism adaptation is what screwed us!
    My dear...just to give you one example, when the French were ruling Lebanon, Saint-Georges Bay looked like the French Riviera...

After Hariri's makeover, inspired by Gulf countries, this is what it looks like...

Now, please, let's not turn this thread into another sectarian argument, because Christian and Muslim areas alike are being disfigured.

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Someone start a fanpage and get people to share. FB is the easiest tool to get this thing viral. Everyone will start sharing pics. It will never go mainstream by just posting on this forum.
    I am not really active on facebook anymore, but if you or anyone else want to spread the message, go for it :)

!Aoune32

!Aoune32

These pics are ridiculous. I never knew sin el fil and other areas outside Beirut governate were like this. This looks exactly the same as Tripoli. Some are even worse. They are over populated areas.

O Brother

O Brother

Legendary Member
    My dear...just to give you one example, when the French were ruling Lebanon, Saint-Georges Bay looked like the French Riviera...

After Hariri's makeover, inspired by Gulf countries, this is what it looks like...

Now, please, let's not turn this thread into another sectarian argument, because Christian and Muslim areas alike are being disfigured.

Your problem is that you can't handle someone criticising western lifestyle!
    I wasn't talking about religion at all it is you actually by mentioning it!

I was talking about the rise of consumerism a way of life that is being promoted all the way!

You just gave me a painting and compared it with a picture also at that time the consumerism was way much lower than today!
    The gulf is all about western life style inspiration and part of modernism adaptation and extremely consume based societies in my eyes there is not much different between Burj Hammoud and Dubai!

From the 1960s to this very day even in Europe we have witnessed the worst kind mass building constructions and architecture as more and more people want to move and live in the same place!

Just go to Paris you will see these ugly slums everywhere..

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Dora

When the urbanism is so depressing that the huge, ugly ads, kind of make things less gloomy...

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter

I was talking about the rise of consumerism a way of life that is being promoted all the way!

You just gave me a painting and compared it with a picture also at that time the consumerism was way much lower than today!
    The gulf is all about western life style inspiration and part of modernism adaptation and extremely consume based societies in my eyes there is not much different between Burj Hammoud and Dubai!

From the 1960s to this very day even in Europe we have witnessed the worst kind mass building constructions and architecture as more and more people want to move and live in the same place!

Most of the West does not look like this at all. And the old image of Saint-Georges Bay is a photo, not a painting. I said what I had to say, on the topic. Will not indulge further.

O Brother

O Brother

Legendary Member
    All I see in these pictures is western invasion of the world :rolleyes:

Indie how much d u hate me right now? :ban:

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    These pics are ridiculous. I never knew sin el fil and other areas outside Beirut governate were like this. This looks exactly the same as Tripoli. Some are even worse. They are over populated areas.
    I told you...the whole coast up to Jounieh is like this or on the verge of it. Places like Dbayeh are getting there, slowly but surely.

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    All I see in these pictures is western invasion of the world :rolleyes:

Indie how much d u hate me right now? :ban:
    I don't hate you at all. I feel sorry that you are so convinced of your misconceptions and hope you find the truth one day.

Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter

Lol where exactly in Paris did you see "these ugly slums" ?

O Brother

O Brother

Legendary Member
    I don't hate you at all. I feel sorry that you are so convinced of your misconceptions and hope you find the truth one day.
    I hope you find it too and realize the damage caused by the modern western lifestyle which is a globalized lifestyle and all this difficulties we are facing today comes from adopting that same lifestyle

Lol where exactly in Paris did you see "these ugly slums" ?
    I have only been to Paris few times and yes the old city in inner Paris is beautiful with the old buildings but the new modern ones are just ewww!
    Without the green and trees some places would probably look just like burj hamoud :p

!Aoune32

!Aoune32

I told you...the whole coast up to Jounieh is like this or on the verge of it. Places like Dbayeh are getting there, slowly but surely.
    There has to be reason to why this is happening. I think it is due to the lack of support from the government in the 'atraf' areas hence people are coming from North, South and the Bekaa to live in those areas. Closer to their work. Closer to Beirut. Also, you can find in Hazmieh an apartment for 200K which is the same price up North in Koura, Batroun or any other area.

opium

opium

You forgot to mention that our streets became endless parkings. In most areas you can forget about visiting your friends/relatives because there is no way that you can find a parking spot.
    Now imagine how much uglier will be if they will approve on the law that will allow to add one floor on existing buildings.