Urbanism in lebanon

• Advertisement
  • AtheistForJesus

AtheistForJesus

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    I hope you find it too and realize the damage caused by the modern western lifestyle which is a globalized lifestyle and all this difficulties we are facing today comes from adopting that same lifestyle

I have only been to Paris few times and yes the old city in inner Paris is beautiful with the old buildings but the new modern ones are just ewww!
    Without the green and trees some places would probably look just like burj hamoud :p
    Montparnasse is an eyesore, I give you that. But the rest of the modern high-rises are interesting. I like the fact they were built in La Défense, outside the city.
    They provide a nice contrast to Paris' historic buildings without disrupting its classical beauty.

!Aoune32

!Aoune32

Whoever is building these buildings have no plan how the city should become. They are just in it for a quick buck. Is there infrastructure to accomodate the buildings that popping up every single day?

!Aoune32

!Aoune32

Looks tidier and cleaner than many of Beirut's suburbs.
    Some area of Al Mina yep it is. The issue though is that in Beirut and its suburbs you have a population of 2 million if not more. Even those in Beirut the residents like 40% of them are not actually from Beirut anymore. You have people from all Lebanon coming into the city.

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Jdeideh

Jdeideh gets some props for at least having a public park...

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Whoever is building these buildings have no plan how the city should become. They are just in it for a quick buck. Is there infrastructure to accomodate the buildings that popping up every single day?
    Nope. @opium commented on the parking issue. I confirm.

There is also little to no cleaning of the streets. Often no sidewalks, either. And when there are sidewalks, there are poles and other obstacles in the middle of them, so you better watch where you're going. Forget taking a stroller or bicycle.

!Aoune32

!Aoune32

Nope. @opium commented on the parking issue. I confirm.

There is also little to no cleaning of the streets. Often no sidewalks, either. And when there are sidewalks, there are poles and other obstacles in the middle of them, so you better watch where you're going. Forget taking a stroller or bicycle.
    But why is this happening?
    Beirut and its suburbs municipalities get the most funds from the state not us from the North or other areas in Bekaa or South. Why is there no cleaning? Why is their no plans?

!Aoune32

!Aoune32

:)

That's a luxury. At least they have some courts.
    wtf
    Something is really wrong with what is happening. We dont have this in the North but we dont have a population boom either. Alot of the youth go to areas around Beirut to study, work etc.
    But there is a lack of planning from the municipality no?

O Brother

O Brother

Legendary Member
    Montparnasse is an eyesore, I give you that. But the rest of the modern high-rises are interesting. I like the fact they were built in La Défense, outside the city.
    They provide a nice contrast to Paris' historic buildings without disrupting its classical beauty.
    Well sure there are some nice modern structures but I'm talking mostly about the typical concrete residential buildings with really bad architecture..
    Built to pack in as much people as possible and as quick as possible!

I guess I just can't accept our modern times and long for the old and beautiful with less cars and more green views..

The whole way of how we are building homes is wrong now days.. it is more built with consumerism and mass production mindset!

20th century ruined us totally, we must rebel against the 20th century :p
    People in Lebanon in the 1960s used to exchange their lands to live in apartments because they thought it is so modern, cool and high class to live in apartments :(

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    But why is this happening?
    Beirut and its suburbs municipalities get the most funds from the state not us from the North or other areas in Bekaa or South. Why is there no cleaning? Why is their no plans?
    Greed? Bad governance? Lack of adequate funds? Bad taste? Carelessness? Corruption? All of the above?

I have no idea. All I know is what I see and experience when I'm in Lebanon.

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Well sure there are some nice modern structures but I'm talking mostly about the typical concrete residential buildings with really bad architecture..
    Built to pack in as much people as possible and as quick as possible!

I guess I just can't accept our modern times and long for the old and beautiful with less cars and more green views..

The whole way of how we are building homes is wrong now days.. it is more built with consumerism and mass production mindset!

20th century ruined us totally, we must rebel against the 20th century :p
    People in Lebanon in the 1960s used to exchange their lands to live in apartments because they thought it is so modern, cool and high class to live in apartments :(
    It's funny that we often agree on the state of things, but we almost always disagree on the causes and solutions :p

!Aoune32

!Aoune32

Greed? Bad governance? Lack of adequate funds? Bad taste? Carelessness? Corruption? All of the above?

I have no idea. All I know is what I see and experience when I'm in Lebanon.
    My city in the North is nothing like this. We have corruption also and Mikati trying to buy everything but we also have alot of green in our city. In our city it is very hard to build anything inside and it has been like that for almost 20 years. If you do want to build something they are building it near the water and there are no more spaces to build inside the neighbourhoods.

Walidos

Walidos

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    The problem with our urban design has three legs:
    1- urban design regulations are weak and Municipalities dont strictly apply them
    2- remaking it requires a massive amount of capital investment
    3- there is a big social problem (space getting more limited, population growing, poverty increasing)

Of course the war and ensuing chaos didn’t help, but we need to tackle all 3 areas and give it time to improve:
    - make a massive effort of urban design regulations that include public areas (gardens, squares, parking areas etc...)
    - strengthen municipalities and resource them to ensure nothing new comes up outside of the new design, including government projects like roads and bridges. It also requires enforcing rental laws and municipality tax collection...
    - tackle the social issue first by ensuring whatever new developments cover all ranges of income, if we only want to shoot for delux apartments that the rich can afford we will create a bigger issue

This is a massive effort, it requires decades of hard work without political maniake...

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    My city in the North is nothing like this. We have corruption also and Mikati trying to buy everything but we also have alot of green in our city. In our city it is very hard to build anything inside and it has been like that for almost 20 years. If you do want to build something they are building it near the water and there are no more spaces to build inside the neighbourhoods.
    There are less people in the north. Also, building near the water is not a good idea.

!Aoune32

!Aoune32

There are less people in the north. Also, building near the water is not a good idea.
    agree about the building near the water.
    Actually the birth rates in the North are the highest in the country but yes alot of people are going out and going into the areas you are mentioning. It is too late to do anything to be honest. You cannot rip buildings out of their roots and just say khalas.

!Aoune32

!Aoune32

The problem with our urban design has three legs:
    1- urban design regulations are weak and Municipalities dont strictly apply them
    2- remaking it requires a massive amount of capital investment
    3- there is a big social problem (space getting more limited, population growing, poverty increasing)

Of course the war and ensuing chaos didn’t help, but we need to tackle all 3 areas and give it time to improve:
    - make a massive effort of urban design regulations that include public areas (gardens, squares, parking areas etc...)
    - strengthen municipalities and resource them to ensure nothing new comes up outside of the new design, including government projects like roads and bridges. It also requires enforcing rental laws and municipality tax collection...
    - tackle the social issue first by ensuring whatever new developments cover all ranges of income, if we only want to shoot for delux apartments that the rich can afford we will create a bigger issue

This is a massive effort, it requires decades of hard work without political maniake...
    It requires people not to vote for corrupt individuals. Vote for people who actually work for their towns and cities not only due to their political affiliation. It requires people to hold accountable those who were placed by them in the first place. It won't happen hence we get the above.