Urbanism in lebanon

!Aoune32

!Aoune32

Let's travel inland before we pursue our coastal journey :p For those who thought the hills are being spared from concrete...nope, it's creeping up!

where the hell is this?

• Advertisement
  • !Aoune32

!Aoune32

The first two pictures look nice. The third is the same as elsewhere!
    The city is a bit more structured. The Mina baladiye is known in Lebanon to be one of the best. We have our own baladiye not one with Tripoli as we are different cities. But due to the syrians we have now alot of mess on the streets people homeless etc just like everywhere but also our resident population in the city is no more than 100-150K.

Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    Montparnasse is an eyesore, I give you that. But the rest of the modern high-rises are interesting. I like the fact they were built in La Défense, outside the city.
    They provide a nice contrast to Paris' historic buildings without disrupting its classical beauty.
    They are renovating Montparnasse into less of an eyesore before 2024

Bientôt une nouvelle tour Montparnasse plus "généreuse"

I agree with you on la defense, not only does it provide a nice contrast to the historical city but they have built an arch with a garden right on the end of the historical axis Lenôtre designed his gardens around and that monuments have been built on since the 18th century! It's the same line that goes from the arc de triomphe to the grande arche de la défense, it starts from the louvre goes through jardin des Tuileries (with historical context from Andre Lenôtre) then the obelisk of place de la Concorde, champs Elysées, and the same line goes straight through Bois de Boulogne to the grande Arche at la defense! It's quite an impressive feat of urban planning w jeye wahad yetfalsaf 3a Paris!
    Axe historique de Paris — Wikipédia

The_FPMer

The_FPMer

The problem with our urban design has three legs:
    1- urban design regulations are weak and Municipalities dont strictly apply them
    2- remaking it requires a massive amount of capital investment
    3- there is a big social problem (space getting more limited, population growing, poverty increasing)

Of course the war and ensuing chaos didn’t help, but we need to tackle all 3 areas and give it time to improve:
    - make a massive effort of urban design regulations that include public areas (gardens, squares, parking areas etc...)
    - strengthen municipalities and resource them to ensure nothing new comes up outside of the new design, including government projects like roads and bridges. It also requires enforcing rental laws and municipality tax collection...
    - tackle the social issue first by ensuring whatever new developments cover all ranges of income, if we only want to shoot for delux apartments that the rich can afford we will create a bigger issue

This is a massive effort, it requires decades of hard work without political maniake...
    This is one of the most important that FPM should tackle and make public. Because these errors can't be fixed once they appear. You can't demolish a building if it's badly placed.

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Back to the coast...

(And, no, I haven't lost my mind. I just want people to look at this thread and grasp the damage that's been done, and is continuing to be done.)

Zalka

Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
    Orange Room Supporter
    Back to the coast...

(And, no, I haven't lost my mind. I just want people to look at this thread and grasp the damage that's been done, and is continuing to be done.)

Zalka

Sea sweet!!! 3 weeks untill i get my hands on their delicious treats and knefé!!!

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Sea sweet!!! 3 weeks untill i get my hands on their delicious treats and knefé!!!
    Glad you could find something positive in all this :p I guess that's why we all keep going back, despite the mess :)

!Aoune32

!Aoune32

Glad you could find something positive in all this :p I guess that's why we all keep going back, despite the mess :)
    I will be in Lebanon in a month and half. I can't wait but this is a mess.
    I can only say that this is due to the civil war. There must have been alot of displacement and that is why the christians are now living in these areas by the thousands if not hundreds of thousands. The coast from East Beirut to Batroun ma3rouf is like 90% christian and alot of them come from different areas in the country.

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    I will be in Lebanon in a month and half. I can't wait but this is a mess.
    I can only say that this is due to the civil war. There must have been alot of displacement and that is why the christians are now living in these areas by the thousands if not hundreds of thousands. The coast from East Beirut to Batroun ma3rouf is like 90% christian and alot of them come from different areas in the country.
    There are a lot of reasons...

- The civil war and people feeling safer in Christian majority areas.

- People wanting to be closer to Beirut, or at least the main roads.

- Natural population growth.

But, either way, the construction should have been better planned, and more easthetically executed.

!Aoune32

!Aoune32

There are a lot of reasons...

- The civil war and people feeling safer in Christian majority areas.

- People wanting to be closer to Beirut, or at least the main roads.

- Natural population growth.

But, either way, the construction should have been better planned, and more easthetically executed.
    agree.
    But its too late. Now its time for the church to build on their land which they have and help the christians out. If a christian can buy an apartment masalan for half the price and stay in the country lech la2.