• Before posting an article from a specific source, check this list here to see how much the Orange Room trust it. You can also vote/change your vote based on the source track record.

US historic and continuous involvement in Venezuela before and after Hugo Chavez.

V

Viral

Once more with feeling? US holds ‘secret’ talks with Venezuela officials
Published time: 22 Aug, 2019 21:12
Get short URL
Once more with feeling? US holds ‘secret’ talks with Venezuela officials

Venezuela's National Constituent Assembly President Diosdado Cabello holds up an anti-Trump pamphlet during a session, August 12, 2019. ©
Faced with eight months of failed regime-change efforts, the US is trying to achieve its goals in Venezuela by holding secret talks with members of the government in Caracas, to the dismay of hawks and US-backed opposition.
Following news reports about the secret negotiations, Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro and US President Donald Trump have both confirmed some kind of talks were going on, but would not say more.
“We’ve had secret meetings in secret places with secret people that nobody knows,” Maduro said, adding that he personally authorized the talks. “There’s been contact and we’ll continue having contact.”
“I don’t want to say who,”
Trump told reporters on Tuesday, when asked about Venezuela. “But we’re talking at a very high level.”
Citing multiple anonymous sources, AP and the Wall Street Journal reported that the talks involved Diosdado Cabello, head of the Constituent Assembly in Caracas. The body was elected in 2017 to draft a new constitution, but the US has refused to recognize it, insisting that the National Assembly last elected in 2015 was Venezuela’s only legitimate legislature, and even recognizing its chair Juan Guaido as “interim president” of the country.
Cabello, however, described the rumors of his participation as a “lie” and “manipulation.” He would only agree to meet with the highest-ranking officials, in Venezuela, and with Maduro’s approval, he added.
“I meet with the owners of the circus, not with those who work for them,” he told reporters.
One of the purposes of the talks is to divide Maduro’s government and weaken him, the WSJ reported citing “people familiar with the US strategy,” whoever they might be. They say Cabello has sought guarantees he will be able to stay in Venezuela and participate in the upcoming elections – which seems to contradict the official’s public statements.
The only thing the US is willing to negotiate is the date of Maduro’s departure, the same sources said. That certainly falls in line with the position of US National Security Adviser John Bolton, one of the architects of Washington’s Venezuela policy, who declared again on Wednesday that “Maduro must go.”
“The only items discussed by those who are reaching out behind Maduro’s back are his departure and free and fair elections,”
Bolton tweeted.
Guaido also chimed in, saying the talks were proof of the “contradictions of the regime” he called “disorganized” and effective only in “propaganda [and] lies.”
Yet the government has easily thwarted every attempt by Guaido to claim power in Caracas, including a military uprising at the end of April. Venezuela has also withstood more than eight months of US pressure, including sanctions, threat of an invasion and a trade blockade.
Washington now appears to be in a hurry, with the 2020 US election looming, and is pushing for some kind of deal in the “next few months, if not weeks,” according to the WSJ source.
Where is Guaido?

Related image

• Advertisement
  • V

Viral

UK denying Maduro access to Venezuelan gold is not only THEFT, it’s MURDER of London’s reputation as trusted financial center
    George Galloway
    George Galloway
    was a member of the British Parliament for nearly 30 years. He presents TV and radio shows (including on RT). He is a film-maker, writer and a renowned orator. Follow him on Twitter @georgegalloway

3 Jul, 2020 14:18
    The standards are poor at the Bank of England these days, I don’t know why anyone would want to do business with them. George Galloway gives British banking, and justice, a triple-fail rating.
    It used to be “a thing” when I was growing up. “As safe as the Bank of England” was the acme of trustworthiness and security. But as Venezuela – and any other Global South country foolish enough to entrust the British with their sovereign wealth just found out in the High Court in London – the Bank of England isn’t any longer safe at all.
    Almost a billion dollars worth of Venzuelan gold bullion has just been stolen by the British government, theft has just been legalized, and the thieves didn’t even bother to wear a mask.
    The gold was deposited in London by the then internationally recognized government of Venezuela. But the now internationally recognized government of Nicolas Maduro has been refused permission to have its value transferred to the United Nations in New York for work they wish the UN Development Program to conduct against the coronavirus pandemic.

Instead, a man off the street in Caracas by the name of Juan Guaido – who has not only never been elected to power in Venezuela, he’s no longer even elected as the leader of the opposition – is the legal owner of the gold, says Justice Alice-in-Wonderland. After all, words mean whatever the British government wants them to mean.

The elected president of Venezuela, Nicolas Maduro, is recognized by the great majority of countries in the world. More importantly, his government is recognized at the United Nations. It is not true, as the British government told the High Court, that they “do not recognize” the Maduro government – they recognize it every day at the UN, in discussions in the canteen as well as in the chamber.

Moreover, it is the principle of British diplomacy that they “recognize” whomsoever is in effective control of a territory – whether they like them or not. Though, come to think of it, they did breach that “principle” once before – when they continued to recognize the Cambodian genocidal murderer Pol Pot and insist that Comrade Number 1 remains in his seat in New York long after he was actually overthrown and while the mountain of corpses in Cambodia were being counted.

By any standards, Maduro is in effective control of Venezuela and Juan Guaido is not. Maduro controls every square inch of Venezuela, is the elected president, is recognized by the United Nations and by most countries in the world. Guaido is not elected, is not recognized by the United Nations, nor by most countries in the world and doesn’t control one single inch of Venezuelan territory. But he is now the proud owner of the gold in the Bank of England. It makes the Great Train Robbery look like a mere bagatelle, Guaido makes the Thief of Baghdad look like an amateur. It is the greatest single act of theft ever to take place on British soil. And that’s saying something.

1593890141507.png

But away from the scene of the crime, away from Venezuela, British officials in their ivory tower should take note. It wasn’t just theft which took place in the Strand this week – it was murder. The murder of London’s reputation as a financial center you can trust.

Certainly, any sovereign government which has invested its sovereign wealth in London should examine their head if not the current state of their balance. This decision has given a green light to the Pirates of the Caribbean, and you could be next. Fall out with the British government and they can now hand all your country’s wealth they can grab, over to your opposition, however discredited.

Quite a day’s work in financial standards, a triple-A fail.

If I ever won the National Lottery (which I don’t enter) the last place on Earth that I would deposit my millions would be in London. Standards here just went down the rabbit-hole and will never re-emerge. The City of London has fallen.

When I was young I told my Irish grandfather that the teacher had told me that the British had an empire so vast that the Sun never set upon it. He answered “that’s because God would never trust the British in the dark.” I knew he was telling the truth. And now so does Venezuela.

Mystery of the Venezuelan gold: Bank of England is independent of UK govt – but not of foreign govt

proIsrael-nonIsraeli

proIsrael-nonIsraeli

Legendary Member

UK denying Maduro access to Venezuelan gold is not only THEFT, it’s MURDER of London’s reputation as trusted financial center
    George Galloway
    George Galloway
    was a member of the British Parliament for nearly 30 years. He presents TV and radio shows (including on RT). He is a film-maker, writer and a renowned orator. Follow him on Twitter @georgegalloway

3 Jul, 2020 14:18
    The standards are poor at the Bank of England these days, I don’t know why anyone would want to do business with them. George Galloway gives British banking, and justice, a triple-fail rating.
    It used to be “a thing” when I was growing up. “As safe as the Bank of England” was the acme of trustworthiness and security. But as Venezuela – and any other Global South country foolish enough to entrust the British with their sovereign wealth just found out in the High Court in London – the Bank of England isn’t any longer safe at all.
    Almost a billion dollars worth of Venzuelan gold bullion has just been stolen by the British government, theft has just been legalized, and the thieves didn’t even bother to wear a mask.
    The gold was deposited in London by the then internationally recognized government of Venezuela. But the now internationally recognized government of Nicolas Maduro has been refused permission to have its value transferred to the United Nations in New York for work they wish the UN Development Program to conduct against the coronavirus pandemic.

Instead, a man off the street in Caracas by the name of Juan Guaido – who has not only never been elected to power in Venezuela, he’s no longer even elected as the leader of the opposition – is the legal owner of the gold, says Justice Alice-in-Wonderland. After all, words mean whatever the British government wants them to mean.

The elected president of Venezuela, Nicolas Maduro, is recognized by the great majority of countries in the world. More importantly, his government is recognized at the United Nations. It is not true, as the British government told the High Court, that they “do not recognize” the Maduro government – they recognize it every day at the UN, in discussions in the canteen as well as in the chamber.

Moreover, it is the principle of British diplomacy that they “recognize” whomsoever is in effective control of a territory – whether they like them or not. Though, come to think of it, they did breach that “principle” once before – when they continued to recognize the Cambodian genocidal murderer Pol Pot and insist that Comrade Number 1 remains in his seat in New York long after he was actually overthrown and while the mountain of corpses in Cambodia were being counted.

By any standards, Maduro is in effective control of Venezuela and Juan Guaido is not. Maduro controls every square inch of Venezuela, is the elected president, is recognized by the United Nations and by most countries in the world. Guaido is not elected, is not recognized by the United Nations, nor by most countries in the world and doesn’t control one single inch of Venezuelan territory. But he is now the proud owner of the gold in the Bank of England. It makes the Great Train Robbery look like a mere bagatelle, Guaido makes the Thief of Baghdad look like an amateur. It is the greatest single act of theft ever to take place on British soil. And that’s saying something.

View attachment 19942

But away from the scene of the crime, away from Venezuela, British officials in their ivory tower should take note. It wasn’t just theft which took place in the Strand this week – it was murder. The murder of London’s reputation as a financial center you can trust.

Certainly, any sovereign government which has invested its sovereign wealth in London should examine their head if not the current state of their balance. This decision has given a green light to the Pirates of the Caribbean, and you could be next. Fall out with the British government and they can now hand all your country’s wealth they can grab, over to your opposition, however discredited.

Quite a day’s work in financial standards, a triple-A fail.

If I ever won the National Lottery (which I don’t enter) the last place on Earth that I would deposit my millions would be in London. Standards here just went down the rabbit-hole and will never re-emerge. The City of London has fallen.

When I was young I told my Irish grandfather that the teacher had told me that the British had an empire so vast that the Sun never set upon it. He answered “that’s because God would never trust the British in the dark.” I knew he was telling the truth. And now so does Venezuela.

Mystery of the Venezuelan gold: Bank of England is independent of UK govt – but not of foreign govt
    Maduro is not Venezuelan government, he has no right to use Venezuelan gold.

proIsrael-nonIsraeli

proIsrael-nonIsraeli

Legendary Member
    I'm sure you are the prefect character to judge what belongs to whom:banghead:
    First, apparently I and GB courts think alike and access to Venezuelan gold will be opened to Guido's government.

Second, your sarcasm regarding "perfect character to judge" should be applied to you too, wouldn't you agree.

V

Viral

First, apparently I and GB courts think alike and access to Venezuelan gold will be opened to Guido's government.
    Let me think🤪: Great Britain, Balfour Declaration, Palestine… I think you do have something in common with an imperialistic entity that confiscates people’s properties and donates them to others…

proIsrael-nonIsraeli

proIsrael-nonIsraeli

Legendary Member
    Let me think🤪: Great Britain, Balfour Declaration, Palestine… I think you do have something in common with an imperialistic entity that confiscates people’s properties and donates them to others…
    Here we go again - every time you are out of argument you are desperately trying to digress.

Again, concentrate ... the subject is Venezuelan gold and who is legally representing Venezuela.

V

Viral

every time you are out of argument you are desperately trying to digress.
    I am desperately trying not to give you the pleasure of insulting my intelligence and the ones who are reading you B.S.

Do you really believe you are selling your story about starving a whole nation and looting their gold with the noble intention of protecting them from their terrible leader?

Since you are such a great power with great moral values and decency (if you and your mafia that is sleeping with MBS and likes know what that means) why don’t you cash Venezuelan gold and send it back directly to each an every family in Venezuela like Trump is sending you $600 a week to stay home except the Venezuelans will be receiving their own money with dignity and not a handout like they do in Israel from American taxpayers money.

Those BS games are over buddy. Ask Trump he’ll tell you why he didn’t dare touch the Iranian shipments to Venezuela and how he’s making a fool of himself proclaiming to be Emperor of the Universe.

proIsrael-nonIsraeli

proIsrael-nonIsraeli

Legendary Member
    I am desperately trying not to give you the pleasure of insulting my intelligence and the ones who are reading you B.S.

Do you really believe you are selling your story about starving a whole nation and looting their gold with the noble intention of protecting them from their terrible leader?

Since you are such a great power with great moral values and decency (if you and your mafia that is sleeping with MBS and likes know what that means) why don’t you cash Venezuelan gold and send it back directly to each an every family in Venezuela like Trump is sending you $600 a week to stay home except the Venezuelans will be receiving their own money with dignity and not a handout like they do in Israel from American taxpayers money.

Those BS games are over buddy. Ask Trump he’ll tell you why he didn’t dare touch the Iranian shipments to Venezuela and how he’s making a fool of himself proclaiming to be Emperor of the Universe.
    And this is predictable response too - you usually lose it completely whenever your attempt to digress fails.

However fear none, at this point my response is predictable too - I eventually realize that prolonging the conversation might cause you irreparable psychological damage and in the name of Humanity I must help you calm down and quickly.

V

Viral

And this is predictable response too - you usually lose it completely whenever your attempt to digress fails.

However fear none, at this point my response is predictable too - I eventually realize that prolonging the conversation might cause you irreparable psychological damage and in the name of Humanity I must help you calm down and quickly.
    Apparently you got the message.
    Nice try though packaging you B.S. but it still smells...