Question Warm clothes - how to keep warm in the winter

Muki

Muki

Orange Room Supporter
Do you have heating in your house? If not, that's why you're cold.

In the winter, I can stay in my house in Canada with sleeveless shirts and flipflops, when it's minus 10C outside, while in Lebanon, I'd be freezing with two sweaters on, when it was over 0 degrees. It's just because some houses there don't have proper heating and insulation.

If your house doesn't have heating, you can try a portable heater. Just make sure to read about and follow safety guidelines.

Clothes wise, make sure you have warm socks on. And at least one of the two layers you have on should be a thick sweater. If that still doesn't cut it, wear a thermal base layer. You can find them in stores that sell sports / camping / hiking / skiing related equipment and clothing.
I doubt my home has proper insulation for cold, but yes we do have central heating, although we seldom turn it on. We prefer portable heaters. Staying warm inside is generally not a problem; I'm looking for help on staying warm (and fashionable) outside. Wearing multiple layers keeps me warm, but isn't really fashionable.

What material socks do you recommend (well clothing material in general)?

• Advertisement
  • Genius

Genius

Legendary Member
    Meanwhile in Russia while Indie trying to scare us with flipflop stories..
    Fo5xj3w.jpg nadandogelo1.jpg

AtheistForJesus

AtheistForJesus

I always wear a beanie, but I guess it's time to bust out the scarf. I keep forgetting it's December already and there's no point delaying. It doesn't help that I almost never see anyone wearing a scarf here ?.

The reason you don't see anyone wearing a scarf is because it's considered gay.

Don't take @Isabella's advice. A scarf may not raise eyebrows in France, but if you dress like a Frenchman in Los Angeles you'll be automatically labelled gay.

Get some Smartwool socks and thermals. They're the best.

Mighty Goat

Mighty Goat

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    So, looking at our North Pole forumers (aka the Canadians), how do you stay warm in the winter?
    What clothes do you prefer?

Wearing two layers and freezing my ass off at 45dF in dry SoCal cold. A77oo. Halp plz.
    Wear a warm hat and keep your head warm, heat leaves the body from the head.
    Warm socks and boots, and layering. I normally wear more than two layers and a warm Jacket
    Finally wear a long underwear.

Muki

Muki

Orange Room Supporter
    The mind is more powerful. If you don't freak out about the cold that much, it doesn't bite you so hard.

The other day, I needed to get something near my house, with the car. We already have a thin layer of snow on the ground, and we got some freezing rain this weak. But I was like...I'm not changing into shoes / boots for a 5 minute errand: the snow is not deep enough to cover my feet, I'm staying in my flipflops :p

Spot the Canadian :)

Meh this thread doesn't do me justice at all. Makes me sound like a whiny female dog! But I almost never complain about the cold IRL. Doesn't mean I don't get cold though!

But purpose of thread is to help me buy some winter clothes, as I barely have any. I have a beanie, a scarf, a jacket, a sweater, two pairs of smartwool socks that I wear when hiking, and hiking boots.

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    I doubt my home has proper insulation for cold, but yes we do have central heating, although we seldom turn it on. We prefer portable heaters. Staying warm inside is generally not a problem; I'm looking for help on staying warm (and fashionable) outside. Wearing multiple layers keeps me warm, but isn't really fashionable.

What material socks do you recommend (well clothing material in general)?
    If your main problem is outside, then you can solve it all with a proper jacket / coat. This realization was a game-changer for me: it doesn't matter what else you wear if your coat is not a proper winter coat. If your outerwear is made to protect you from the cold, and not just a fashionable item, then you can wear anything you want underneath, and it won't make a difference. Not at 45°F.

For socks I always go with cotton, never synthetic materials. The latter don't breath and are bad for your feet. Same for clothes, actually. I avoid synthetic materials like polyester and acrylic. Acrylic is very warm; but, again, it doesn't breath. The only synthetic or semi-synthetic material I wear is rayon/viscose. It feels like natural fibers.

Wool and cashmere are the warmest natural fibers, but they are high maintenance. If you don't like hand washing your clothes, avoid.

So yeah...my winter sweaters are mostly cotton and rayon. Go for that, plus a real winter coat. If need be, add a scarf and some gloves and you'll be good to go.

And if your feet are cold wear warmer shoes, like booties that are lined on the inside.

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Meh this thread doesn't do me justice at all. Makes me sound like a whiny female dog! But I almost never complain about the cold IRL. Doesn't mean I don't get cold though!

But purpose of thread is to help me buy some winter clothes, as I barely have any. I have a beanie, a scarf, a jacket, a sweater, two pairs of smartwool socks that I wear when hiking, and hiking boots.
    A sweater? As in one? :lol:

Don't feel embarrassed about the thread :) For most of my life I couldn't stand the cold. It only became bareable to me recently.

And you guys in the south are not well equipped for it.

Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
    Staff member

Don't take @Isabella's advice. A scarf may not raise eyebrows in France, but if you dress like a Frenchman in Los Angeles you'll be automatically labelled gay.

No he’ll be labelled a faggot, know the difference m8!

Isabella

Isabella

The Queen Of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    I always wear a beanie, but I guess it's time to bust out the scarf. I keep forgetting it's December already and there's no point delaying. It doesn't help that I almost never see anyone wearing a scarf here ?.

I suppose that's my problem! You are asking the wrong person to stay inside. I like to be outdoors. I know wool is typically considered one of the best material to keep you warm. Any others you know that I should search for?
    Beanies, scarves, gloves, heck I even have ponchos! I wait for winter specifically to bust out the extra accessories :p

Isabella

Isabella

The Queen Of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter

What's wrong with being labeled gay? Also not only do scarves not raise eyebrows in France but they are the must have accessory item! I think you've been to Paris, even during summer the amount of scarves roaming the streets is staggering :p

P

PewTinPie

So, looking at our North Pole forumers (aka the Canadians), how do you stay warm in the winter?
    What clothes do you prefer?

Wearing two layers and freezing my ass off at 45dF in dry SoCal cold. A77oo. Halp plz.
    keep your chest, feet, hands and ears warm. the rest will get warm shortly since the warm blood will flow around fast. sex and or "gluhwein" (red wine boiled with cinnamon and a lot of sugar) does the trick too ;).

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    @Muki

Some winter layering inspiration to be warm and stylish :)

Jorje

Jorje

Legendary Member
    Heat retaining underwear, though hey might be two much for CA. But since you're complaining they might be very good for you.:)

Something like this: Men's Croft & Barrow® Thermal Base Layer Underwear Pants

The way to kill the cold is to keep active when outside. I love biking in the winter and, believe it or not, it sometimes can be more comfortable than walking as long as you have your ears and hands covered. Keep that blood flowing and you will kill the cold!

Last edited:
    Muki

Muki

Orange Room Supporter
    If your main problem is outside, then you can solve it all with a proper jacket / coat. This realization was a game-changer for me: it doesn't matter what else you wear if your coat is not a proper winter coat. If your outerwear is made to protect you from the cold, and not just a fashionable item, then you can wear anything you want underneath, and it won't make a difference. Not at 45°F.

For socks I always go with cotton, never synthetic materials. The latter don't breath and are bad for your feet. Same for clothes, actually. I avoid synthetic materials like polyester and acrylic. Acrylic is very warm; but, again, it doesn't breath. The only synthetic or semi-synthetic material I wear is rayon/viscose. It feels like natural fibers.

Wool and cashmere are the warmest natural fibers, but they are high maintenance. If you don't like hand washing your clothes, avoid.

So yeah...my winter sweaters are mostly cotton and rayon. Go for that, plus a real winter coat. If need be, add a scarf and some gloves and you'll be good to go.

And if your feet are cold wear warmer shoes, like booties that are lined on the inside.

Thank you for the tips; a wealth of information for me :).
    Time to invest in a proper coat and proper shoes.

Regarding cotton socks, do you ever have problems when they get wet? Not just from rain, but also from sweat. From what I know, cotton doesn't dry quickly and thus if they got wet the feet will get cold.
    Maybe combining them with winter shoes alleviates/eliminates that problem.

I tried using my smartwool socks and they worked well. Even with my regular shoes I barely felt the cold.

What's the material that these shoes are lined with?

Muki

Muki

Orange Room Supporter
    A sweater? As in one? :lol:

Don't feel embarrassed about the thread :) For most of my life I couldn't stand the cold. It only became bareable to me recently.

And you guys in the south are not well equipped for it.
    Yup lol, just the one!

No wonder I'm cold :p

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Thank you for the tips; a wealth of information for me :).
    Time to invest in a proper coat and proper shoes.

Regarding cotton socks, do you ever have problems when they get wet? Not just from rain, but also from sweat. From what I know, cotton doesn't dry quickly and thus if they got wet the feet will get cold.
    Maybe combining them with winter shoes alleviates/eliminates that problem.

I tried using my smartwool socks and they worked well. Even with my regular shoes I barely felt the cold."
    My feet don't get sweaty so I can't gurantee how fast cotton socks dry. But, if your feet get sweaty, a non-breathable material will be worse...cause that'll make your feet sweaty and stinky :doctor:

You can try cotton and rayon socks and see which works best for you. Also, I once found socks made from bamboo fiber. SO. SOFT. If you ever see any, try them.

Otherwise, if you're happy with your smartwool...don't fix what ain't broken, na'amean?

What's the material that these shoes are lined with?
    Depending on the model, either shearling (real or fake), or probably some type of felt.