• Before posting an article from a specific source, check this list here to see how much the Orange Room trust it. You can also vote/change your vote based on the source track record.

Westerners insist on depicting Beirut as Islamic and impoverished

Myso

Orange Room Supporter
I was playing this show as background noise, and couldn't but rage at how they depicted Beirut. They took the worst shot of the ugliest dusty buildings in the slums with rust dripping from them. On top of that all, they seem to have placed a fake Lebanese flag. Which could have been video-edited in. It doesn't even seem real.

Why the f do they do that? They seem to take the best shots for London. Is it their British pride? Or because Westerns like to look down on others?

But that does show the "Lebanese problem in cities". Whether it's Muslim or Christians, we have a fair share of filthy mongrels who don't respect the cleanliness of our country.

We should establish a Tourism police that fines anyone who has a dirty building (and is middle class or higher) or throws garbage around.

End of rant.

Myso

Orange Room Supporter
Oh and for Islamic, they won't show Beirut but with an Islamic prayer. Not sure why. Pretty sure church bells work too. Or you could totally avoid the religious aspect of it all and treat it as a multireligous city like you do with Londonistan.

Patriot

Orange Room Supporter
Agreed,
They insist on Beirut being some sort of Qandahar

Below is 'Hamra street' as depicted in Homeland

article-0-15954682000005DC-297_634x344.jpg

Manifesto

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
TLC shows are very very popular. They're trending on Youtube almost every day.

To be honest, I don't find their depiction of Beirut that far from the truth. Save for a few neighborhoods, our city is a mindless spread of concrete monstrosities.
Have you ever been to Tareek el Matar? It makes Kandahar look attractive.

Ice Tea

Beiruti Shias are just as backwards as the ones from Nabatieh, and Dahieh doesn't look much different from Baghdad (I'd say it's even more backwards than Tehran), so they got that right. It's the Beiruti Sunnis who tend to be more educated and 'secular'.

Ice Tea

I was playing this show as background noise, and couldn't but rage at how they depicted Beirut. They took the worst shot of the ugliest dusty buildings in the slums with rust dripping from them. On top of that all, they seem to have placed a fake Lebanese flag. Which could have been video-edited in. It doesn't even seem real.

Why the f do they do that? They seem to take the best shots for London. Is it their British pride? Or because Westerns like to look down on others?

But that does show the "Lebanese problem in cities". Whether it's Muslim or Christians, we have a fair share of filthy mongrels who don't respect the cleanliness of our country.

We should establish a Tourism police that fines anyone who has a dirty building (and is middle class or higher) or throws garbage around.

End of rant.

There's indeed a lot of corruption in Christian areas, but I can assure you that if half of the taxes paid by Christians didn't go to Muslim areas (especially Shia areas, where most of the population don't pay any bills), the Christians areas would be much better.

Also, Muslim areas are MUCH filthier than Christian and Druze ones. Another thing that bugs me is why Muslims stink SO much (they don't seem to use deodorant and seem to wear the same clothes for several days), I used to think cleanliness was a priority in Islam.

Last edited:

Indie

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter

End of rant.

The flag is real. It's in Mar Mikhael.

The ugly / dirty buildings are real too. Here is a small sample:

Cedrus Libani

Agreed,
They insist on Beirut being some sort of Qandahar

Below is 'Hamra street' as depicted in Homeland

article-0-15954682000005DC-297_634x344.jpg

Funny thing about those "Hamra" scenes is that they were shot in Tel Aviv, not Beirut. If anything, that's more of an indictment of Israel than it is of Lebanon.

Myso

Orange Room Supporter

I usually avoid going to Beirut. I get vertigo in cities. But the show could have focused on the nice parts instead. Like they do for London, Portland, San Fran, Vancouver shots, etc. No need to focus on our slums. As all the cities I mentioned have disgusting places too.

Myso

Orange Room Supporter
That said, if you own land in Mt Lebanon, shield it with your elbows and don't allow anyone near it. Better to live there in a chicken den than anywhere near those slums.

!Aoune32

let them depict beirut as they want we know the truth. it isnt as being depicted. beirut is a mixture of sects living in many neighbourhoods. there alot of christians in beirut and the composition is very different than the voters. 60% of beirut are not from beirut whether they be shias from the south or the bekaa or christians from the south the bekaa the north or the jabal.

the western world can suck it!

Patriot

Orange Room Supporter
Funny thing about those "Hamra" scenes is that they were shot in Tel Aviv, not Beirut. If anything, that's more of an indictment of Israel than it is of Lebanon.

Yet Tel Aviv gets all of the european/American tourists and we get very few
This hurts Lebanon more than you can imagine especially that a big chunk of our economy relies on tourism
Rest assured that very very few will research where that scene was filmed exactly nor the facts behind the fraudulent story that came with it.

In the western world,
very few even heard of Lebanon
The ones that did hear about it think that it's some sort of a war torn country and Beirut is like a mini Baghdad.

It is unfair the negative advertising we get in almost every movie mentioning Lebanon and Beirut, even the storytelling most of the times lacks historical and factual accuracy.
It is hurting the country and i think the government should sue these producers.

Indie

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
I usually avoid going to Beirut. I get vertigo in cities. But the show could have focused on the nice parts instead. Like they do for London, Portland, San Fran, Vancouver shots, etc. No need to focus on our slums. As all the cities I mentioned have disgusting places too.

I find the suburbs more depressing than Beirut, actually. They have the ugly buildings and concrete and noise of the city, but no fun places to go out to.

Rafidi

Legendary Member
Oh and for Islamic, they won't show Beirut but with an Islamic prayer. Not sure why. Pretty sure church bells work too. Or you could totally avoid the religious aspect of it all and treat it as a multireligous city like you do with Londonistan.

When Jumblatt, the Semi-Muslim Druze warlord, returns the stolen church bells, then the westerners would be able spot one ringing and video it.

True Palestinian

Looks like this was filmed in Yafo. TLV is a nasty place, arguably one of the ugliest cities in Israel (alongside Be'er Sheva, Modi3in & Kfar Saba), never understood all the tourists who flock there when there are so many nice places to visit (like Haifa, Jerusalem or even Zikhron Ya'akov, Ein Gev, etc), there's literally nothing to see in TLV.

This looks remarkably similar to Istanbul. Once you leave the older and more touristic areas (generally closer to the Bosphorus strait) it's like that for at least 50 miles on the European side.