Westerners insist on depicting Beirut as Islamic and impoverished

!Aoune32

I find the suburbs more depressing than Beirut, actually. They have the ugly buildings and concrete and noise of the city, but no fun places to go out to.

lebanon is now all the same. go to hadath, fanar, hazmiyeh for god sake. the whole country is just full of blocks with 30% not even occupied. yet people keep on building. hazmiyeh by itself is like a smaller version of Tripoli.

cedarheart

Legendary Member
Months ago when I watched Caphernaum I was so pissed off at the director for showing Beirut only as an improvised city, I didn't expect thày from a Lebanese... few weeks after, I travelled to Lebanon after a long absence; I realized then that I was wrong about the director, turns out she showed the reality, to my eyes, sadly, Beirut didn't look any better than a dump!!! (And I've been on all continents of this world and seen super poor cities and aglomerations)

Zilzel

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
Looks like this was filmed in Yafo. TLV is a nasty place, arguably one of the ugliest cities in Israel (alongside Be'er Sheva, Modi3in & Kfar Saba), never understood all the tourists who flock there when there are so many nice places to visit (like Haifa, Jerusalem or even Zikhron Ya'akov, Ein Gev, etc), there's literally nothing to see in TLV.

This looks remarkably similar to Istanbul. Once you leave the older and more touristic areas (generally closer to the Bosphorus strait) it's like that for at least 50 miles on the European side.

To me, nothing is more beautiful than Galilee (except California of course).

True Palestinian

To me, nothing is more beautiful than Galilee (except California of course).

I like the Negev, Makhtesh Ramon and the Timna valley truly are beautiful places, as are some of the oases and artificial lakes ,it's a pity some of the cities (like Arad) are so ugly. I also like hanging around Har Gerizim and Jerusalem, from a cultural standpoint these are unique.

Indie

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
Months ago when I watched Caphernaum I was so pissed off at the director for showing Beirut only as an improvised city, I didn't expect thày from a Lebanese... few weeks after, I travelled to Lebanon after a long absence; I realized then that I was wrong about the director, turns out she showed the reality, to my eyes, sadly, Beirut didn't look any better than a dump!!! (And I've been on all continents of this world and seen super poor cities and aglomerations)

Yes...Beirut wasn't Paris before either, but just in the last 3-4 years there has been a noticeable change for the worst.

Habibibi

I was playing this show as background noise, and couldn't but rage at how they depicted Beirut. They took the worst shot of the ugliest dusty buildings in the slums with rust dripping from them. On top of that all, they seem to have placed a fake Lebanese flag. Which could have been video-edited in. It doesn't even seem real.

Why the f do they do that? They seem to take the best shots for London. Is it their British pride? Or because Westerns like to look down on others?

But that does show the "Lebanese problem in cities". Whether it's Muslim or Christians, we have a fair share of filthy mongrels who don't respect the cleanliness of our country.

We should establish a Tourism police that fines anyone who has a dirty building (and is middle class or higher) or throws garbage around.

End of rant.
But why would they do that??? Lebanese are white and descended from French people... ? they show the best of other white peoples cities... we must be the only white ethnicity group that gets this treatment... we get the same treatment as non white ethnic groups... this is an outrage !!

Btw the show in discussion is called 90 day fiancé they show shitty depictions of all none european and North American cities ... they show the same depictions of Tunisia Morocco and Nigeria ... but I thought Lebanon is a european country!!!!!!!?

Last edited:

Myso

Orange Room Supporter
But why would they do that??? Lebanese are white and descended from French people... ? they show the best of other white peoples cities... we must be the only white ethnicity group that gets this treatment... we get the same treatment as non white ethnic groups... this is an outrage !!

Btw the show in discussion is called 90 day fiancé they show shitty depictions of all none european and North American cities ... they show the same depictions of Tunisia Morocco and Nigeria ... but I thought Lebanon is a european country!!!!!!!?

Lebanese are descendant from French people? What?

I guess it's a "follow the meme" effect. The show is more realistic to foreigners if depicts every middle eastern country as a slum.

Habibibi

Lebanese are descendant from French people? What?

I guess it's a "follow the meme" effect. The show is more realistic to foreigners if depicts every middle eastern country as a slum.

My entire post was sarcasm... I’m making fun of all the Lebanese people that pretend they are Europeans and then they pretend like they don’t know why Europeans keep depicting Lebanon and Lebanese as anything but european... it’s ostrich politics my friend...

Cedrus Libani

My entire post was sarcasm... I’m making fun of all the Lebanese people that pretend they are Europeans and then they pretend like they don’t know why Europeans keep depicting Lebanon and Lebanese as anything but european... it’s ostrich politics my friend...

I've never met any Lebanese who pretends that we're European. Not identifying as Arabs does not equate to identifying as European.