What are some French words that uniquely Lebanese?

F

Frenchstudent

Hello

I am an American student of French. I am doing a project on the Lebanese French dialect. I want to know what are some French words that are specifically used in Lebanon. Maybe some slang words or some phrases that would only be heard in Lebanon. Also, how does Arabic affect the French language and French effect the Arabic language?
Please email your responses if you could because I do not use this forum often. My email is [email protected].

Bonjour

Je suis un etudiant americain de la langue francaise. Je suis en train de faire un expose sur le dialecte du francais libanais. Je veux savoir quells sont des mots qui sont typique de la Liban. Peut-etre l'argot ou des phrases specifiquement utilise au Liban. Aussi, comment est-ce que l'arabe change la langue francaise et comment est-ce que le francais change la langue arabe?
Si vous plait, m'envoyez un email avec vos reponses parce que je n'utilise pas souvent ce forum. Mon email est [email protected]

Je ne parle pas de l'arabe, sinon j'ecrirais ce message en arabe aussi.
I don't speak Arabic, otherwise I would write this message in Arabic aussi.

Merci
Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Picasso

Picasso

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Do you know that chambre à air has become chamberyelle?!

Reactions: DLT
    agnostic

agnostic

Legendary Member
    Hi

Except some few exceptions, Lebanese [dialect] words designating modern objects and concepts come from french. Here some examples

Frecnch ------------------------------> Lebanese ------------------------------> Arabic (Arabic is the language to which the Lebanese dialect is the closest)

chambre à air (glow tube, the part inside a tire) --> chemberiel, chimbiriyil (southern accent) or chumberiel (the pronounciation depends on the lebanese area and its accent (regional intonation) --> أنبوب (you can check its pronunciation with google translator). Note that people never use the arabic word أنبوب to designate the inner tube, even if they would understand it)

pot d'échappement (evacuation, the catalytic converter in a car) --> echkman, ishkman, ushkman, etc. (note that the letter "P" is odd in arabic and Lebanese, which explains the transformation. Majority of Lebanese say Baris for Paris even if they have no problem to pronounce the letter "P") --> People never use and even don't know the arabic word of it

boîte de vitesse (the gearbox in a vehicle) --> vites, fites, fityis (the letter "V"is also unknown in Arabic and Lebanese, but still only very few people pronounce it "fites" instead of "vites" --> People never use and even don't know the arabic word of it

agnostic

agnostic

Legendary Member
    French was very present in greetings (ie bonjour, bonsoir, merci) between people, specially among city-dwellers, and the most among Lebanese christians. But this is tending to be replaced by english.

Danny Z

Danny Z

Legendary Member
    Gravate (tie), fizol ( tight pants for women), vendéz (the woman that sells you the fizol or gravate)

DLT

DLT

Orange Room Supporter
    Kilot (culotte / underwear)
    Pardon
    cellulaire (cell phone)

Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    Jaquette for veste, it just pisses me off when I hear people saying it in that "i'm trying to have a french accent but it's not working" accent

Reactions: DLT
    Danny Z

Danny Z

Legendary Member
    Fremet for freins, even funnier there are people whose last name is frem

Abou Sandal

Abou Sandal

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    point mort = Bomore

(en) Arriere = Anariele

Biscuit = Basskoteh

Clementine = Kalamanteen

Sellier & Bellot (name of the famous gun ammunition) = Sellobello (As name of the small bullets inside any hunting rifle cartridge)

Franc = Freingue

Pyjama = Bajema

light-in-dark

light-in-dark

Legendary Member
    Banyo = baignoir
    Carantina = quarantaine
    Pharmaccia = pharmacie
    From Italian also I think

eLad

eLad

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    point mort = Bomore

(en) Arriere = Anariele

Biscuit = Basskoteh

Clementine = Kalamanteen

Sellier & Bellot (name of the famous gun ammunition) = Sellobello (As name of the small bullets inside any hunting rifle cartridge)

Franc = Freingue

Pyjama = Bajema
    Echappement (ashekmane)

Disque d'embrayage (douberyaj)

Amortisseur (atomissair)

Autobus (autobis)

F

freemind

(note that the letter "P" is odd in arabic and Lebanese, which explains the transformation. Majority of Lebanese say Baris for Paris even if they have no problem to pronounce the letter "P") --> People never use and even don't know the arabic word of it
    People will say Bereez in reference to Barees, which is Paris in arabic. When people are to say Paris as in french, they would simply say Paris. Lebanese don't have the ''P'' problem as you suggested, Lebanon is not a camel country, unless you've grown a long (or medium) beard.