What do you think needs to be done to help Syrian refugees feel more welcome?

AtheistForJesus

AtheistForJesus

In light of the recent events and the alarming rise of hatred and xenophobia against Syrian refugees, what steps do you think could be taken to alleviate their plight?

Obviously our main objective should be to secure their safe return to Syria. But until then, what solutions do you think could be implemented in order to ease the tensions between the Lebanese people and Syrian refugees?

• Advertisement
  • JeanH

JeanH

Orange Room Supporter
    They are not welcome, we are not good actors we cannot pretend that they are welcome

J

joseph_lubnan

Legendary Member
    The best thing would be for them to be fully documented and registered and housed in refugee camps on the border with UN support funding and oversight, until which time they can be repatriated.

J

JayM

Why not ask what they're doing to alleviate their own situation? Certainly reproducing 40,000+ children a year who will grow up to be more illiterate, impoverished and extremist than the previous generation isn't helping their plight, yet this is a variable within their control.

It's interesting to note that Homo sapiens are the only species in kingdom Animalia that reproduce more under unfavorable conditions

Cheers

The Jade

The Jade

Legendary Member
    There is a humanitarian aspect for both Lebanese and Syrians that needs to be the centerpiece of the approach.

On the syrian side, no one denies that they've had it rough, and we, as lebanese and human beings, have a moral responsibility to support our fellow Man.
    We need to open our doors and provide any support we can.

BUT, the limits of our capacity.

Had we had, 200,000 refugees instead, of 1,5M, we wouldn't have had an issue.
    Have we had the right support from the international community, it would have certainly been easier.
    Have we had a more stable coumtry, it would also have been easier.

But none of the above is applicable in our case.

Along with the palestinians, refugees make up an extra 50% of our population.
    Compared to other countries, that's:
    • 33,000,000 in France
    • 160,000,000 in the US
    • 650,000,000 in China
    And these countries didn't even take as many refugees as us....combined!
    Yet, they have stronger economies, and the needed infrastructure.

People also have to accept that there is a humanitarian aspect on the Lebanese side.
    Our economy is flailing.
    Our infrastructure cannot even support us.
    Unemployment is high
    Water and electricity shortage now have to be shared with 2M more people.

We need to help ourselves before we can help others.

While we should definitely feel with the refugees, because I also want to believe that they would do the same to us (not sure if they did back in 75-90), but they've overstayed their welcome.

The Lebanese have been extremely resilient and patient here and they deserve every ounce of respect for their honourable stance.

Lebanon cannot cope and will collapse if the refugees stay any longer.
    A weak and collapsing Lebanon cannot help them I'm afraid.

It's time for them to go home.

AtheistForJesus

AtheistForJesus

Why are there so many Syrian beggars on the streets? If they are entitled to monthly donations from the UN what makes go on the street and beg for money?

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    In light of the recent events and the alarming rise of hatred and xenophobia against Syrian refugees, what steps do you think could be taken to alleviate their plight?

Obviously our main objective should be to secure their safe return to Syria. But until then, what solutions do you think could be implemented in order to ease the tensions between the Lebanese people and Syrian refugees?
    I don't think the Syrian refugees should be made to feel more welcome in Lebanon. They are here as guests and they should not forget that.

On the other hand, they have a right to dignity, respect and a fair and just treatment, until they go back home.

Syrians and Lebanese should cooperate on these premises, nothing less and nothing more.

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Why are there so many Syrian beggars on the streets? If they are entitled to monthly donations from the UN what makes go on the street and beg for money?
    From what I understood while I was there, they are recruited and made to work by handlers.

I was talking to one of the children selling stuff in hamra and he said if I give him 2000, he keeps one and gives one to whoever is making him work.

AtheistForJesus

AtheistForJesus

From what I understood while I was there, they are recruited and made to work by handlers.

I was talking to one of the children selling stuff in hamra and he said if I give him 2000, he keeps one and gives one to whoever is making him work.
    The one who approached me asked me to buy him a sandwich.

JB81

JB81

Legendary Member
    Who said that the Syrians are not welcomed? Their status in Lebanon is 100 times better than Jordan or Turkey... enough with evilizing the Lebanese people; and for who's benefit are you creating those lies and tensions?

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    The one who approached me asked me to buy him a sandwich.
    Yes I have bought a sandwich to one of them as well. I think they have quotas to fill everyday, so if someone gives them food, they don't have to spend from their quota. People usually give them 1000 or 2000...a sandwich is more expensive...if you buy him one, he is getting from one person what he would normally get by spending the money he got from multiple clients.

Reactions: LVV
    AtheistForJesus

AtheistForJesus

@JB81 I just feel indebted to the Syrian people for the way they have treated me and my parents during the July War. I had spent a few days in Syria on my way to the UAE and the kindness of the Syrian people was phenomenal.

Now that the roles have been rveeresed, I think it's my duty to reciprocate this kindness.

JB81

JB81

Legendary Member
    @JB81 I just feel indebted to the Syrian people for the way they have treated me and my parents during the July War. I had spent a few days in Syria on my way to the UAE and the kindness of the Syrian people was phenomenal.

Now that the roles have been rveeresed, I think it's my duty to reciprocate this kindness.
    Do the Syrians feel the same indebtness towards Lebanon; or mne23od b7edno w nentof da2no?

Abou Sandal

Abou Sandal

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Syrian refugees need to feel that they are welcome to leave Lebanon.

AtheistForJesus

AtheistForJesus

Syrian refugees need to feel that they are welcome to leave Lebanon.
    Question: why are Hezbollah supporters some of the most hateful towards Syrian refugees? This has always puzzled me considering that Hezbollah ADORES Syria, and that mant refugees are pro-Government.

Qaher SoLaymouni

Qaher SoLaymouni

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Question: why are Hezbollah supporters some of the most hateful towards Syrian refugees? This has always puzzled me considering that Hezbollah ADORES Syria, and that mant refugees are pro-Government.
    Because the refugees are Sunni.

JB81

JB81

Legendary Member
    Because the refugees are Sunni.
    Or may be fearing tawtin or endless refugee status in order to establish a new demographic imbalances in Lebanon. W allah yse3edna than