What games are you playing lately?

Dirty Dragon

Dirty Dragon

Microsoft didn't kill PC gaming, Hameed you give them too much credit for something they had little influence on. Desktops were and are on the decline and pretty much only enthusiasts still use them. Consoles are cheaper and easier to use "plug and play" so more popular in the mainstream. It is the same reason mobile gaming is expanding at the expense of both both PC and consoles. Microsoft is in some ways a victim of their inability to foresee the change.

Sad because PC is by far the best platform to game on, and the best game play makes full use of the mouse + keyboard combo. It angers me that some of the best PC games are being designed for console use as well which usually implies a sub-optimal control / interface design and limits game design choices.

It is also not true you need the most modern and expensive hardware to keep up to date. My desktop is almost 4 years old and I have no issues with performance. On the newest games you can drop the graphics to medium which looks almost the same and doesn't effect game play at all. Even if you wanna take full advantage of the eye candy, you need only get a newer graphics card (few $100) the rest of the parts make practically no difference.

• Advertisement
  • Genius

Genius

Legendary Member
    The "I want to get in her pants" game. It starts online but the last "missions" of the game are offline.
    This game has another version that I played in my youth :)
    It was called "Hide the Salami" ! :D

Hameed

Hameed

Microsoft didn't kill PC gaming, Hameed you give them too much credit for something they had little influence on. Desktops were and are on the decline and pretty much only enthusiasts still use them. Consoles are cheaper and easier to use "plug and play" so more popular in the mainstream. It is the same reason mobile gaming is expanding at the expense of both both PC and consoles. Microsoft is in some ways a victim of their inability to foresee the change.
    1 - PC gaming massacre 3azizi convergence started way before android and Qualcomm surfaced, just because anyone can game on their cell phones today doesn't make them experts in judging the game industry ,,,, what you call games on your mobile phone are actually time killers not real games.

2 - Microsoft is the one who started it all by introducing its shitty box to counter PC game piracy which failed of course. Then after Microsoft failure, google stepped in thinking that mobile gaming is the future, turned out that cellphones cannot withstand long hours of gaming without the phone itself blowing in your hand let alone their limited processing powers and the battery.

That's only an example of an inventory of causes why mobiles cannot replace consoles or PCs when it comes to games. Wishful Sci-fi and reality are two completely different things.
    Sad because PC is by far the best platform to game on, and the best game play makes full use of the mouse + keyboard combo. It angers me that some of the best PC games are being designed for console use as well which usually implies a sub-optimal control / interface design and limits game design choices.
    That only applies for first person shooter, everything else is Playstation controller awesomeness, when I first held a PS2 controller, I was amazed of how comfortable it is to play RPGs rather than the combo mouse+KB
    It is also not true you need the most modern and expensive hardware to keep up to date. My desktop is almost 4 years old and I have no issues with performance. On the newest games you can drop the graphics to medium which looks almost the same and doesn't effect game play at all. Even if you wanna take full advantage of the eye candy, you need only get a newer graphics card (few $100) the rest of the parts make it practically no difference.
    In the old days (90s early 2000s) it was true, GFX were closer and they were more reasonably priced. Nowadays a medium GFX cannot give you a pleasant gaming experience and that is due to bad game design, When PS4/PS3 graphics look better than your medium priced graphic card .. it means there's not enough efforts and respect in designing the game ... either buy the expensive GFX or get screwed, bad quality graphics, stuttering, lag, glitches you name it.

when you play FPS, RAM is important, CPU speed is important and Monitor refresh rate is very very important. So it is not all about GFX card, unless of course your eyes got used to the graphics provided by your 4 years old laptop, you won't see a difference.

Dirty Dragon

Dirty Dragon

1 - PC gaming massacre 3azizi convergence started way before android and Qualcomm surfaced, just because anyone can game on their cell phones today doesn't make them experts in judging the game industry ,,,, what you call games on your mobile phone are actually time killers not real games.

2 - Microsoft is the one who started it all by introducing its shitty box to counter PC game piracy which failed of course. Then after Microsoft failure, google stepped in thinking that mobile gaming is the future, turned out that cellphones cannot withstand long hours of gaming without the phone itself blowing in your hand let alone their limited processing powers and the battery.

That's only an example of an inventory of causes why mobiles cannot replace consoles or PCs when it comes to games. Wishful Sci-fi and reality are two completely different things.
    1- Agree

2- No. Decline of PC gaming trend started or was expected before the first xbox. It was probably the reason Microsoft entered the console market in the first place. What Microsoft did do was buy game development companies to develop for the xbox to compete with playstation, not to compete with PC games. Which did contribute to the decline of PC indirectly, but it was already happening with or without them.

That only applies for first person shooter, everything else is Playstation controller awesomeness, when I first held a PS2 controller, I was amazed of how comfortable it is to play RPGs rather than the combo mouse+KB
    Yeah, couldn't play Golden Eye 007 on console for the life of me even though I was real good at FPS games back then. Didn't try since. RPGs? I think you are crazy but to each their own.

In the old days (90s early 2000s) it was true, GFX were closer and they were more reasonably priced. Nowadays a medium GFX cannot give you a pleasant gaming experience and that is due to bad game design, When PS4/PS3 graphics look better than your medium priced graphic card .. it means there's not enough efforts and respect in designing the game ... either buy the expensive GFX or get screwed, bad quality graphics, stuttering, lag, glitches you name it.

when you play FPS, RAM is important, CPU speed is important and Monitor refresh rate is very very important. So it is not all about GFX card, unless of course your eyes got used to the graphics provided by your 4 years old laptop, you won't see a difference.
    You have it backwards. In 90s and early 2000 all computer technologies were still evolving quickly. You couldn't get by with a graphics upgrade you need to upgrade an entire system every ~2 years or so. Now most parts have reached saturation, you don't need the most modern CPU because the difference is minimal, hard disk space practically free and so is RAM.

Monitor refresh rate? Lol. I have a 120Hz monitor and tried switching seeing the difference between it and 60Hz couldn't see any difference. Man, maybe if you are 15-17 and still have extremely fast reflexes (not to mention ping to go along). At our ages Hameed, it makes no difference, don't kid yourself :p

Let's say give an example: The Witcher 3. On my desktop it looks beautiful and runs fast on medium. Saw it on friend's desktop at ultra.... I really couldn't feel a meaningful difference. Either way, a new high tier graphics card will be enough to run it on highest settings.

Agree that not enough effort to optimize games for medium tier graphics card.

Hameed

Hameed

1- Agree
    2- No. Decline of PC gaming trend started or was expected before the first xbox. It was probably the reason Microsoft entered the console market in the first place. What Microsoft did do was buy game development companies to develop for the xbox to compete with playstation, not to compete with PC games. Which did contribute to the decline of PC indirectly, but it was already happening with or without them.
    Ya sadi2eh when the first Xbox was introduced, Mobile gaming was absent.

Microsoft wanted to fight piracy through XBOX and naturally making a console would make it a competitor to SONY and NINTENDO, such move led to the closing of many PC game studios who weren't familiar with Xbox game development.
    Microsoft became a victim when its console ranked third with WII first PS3 2nd in sales.

Microsoft used to fund and market many PC game studios and then it moved on to console which was a disaster for PC gaming. Google piggy backed on M$ console failure and the ruins of PC gaming.
    DIRECT X = PC GAMING = MICROSOFT
    Yeah, couldn't play Golden Eye 007 on console for the life of me even though I was real good at FPS games back then. Didn't try since. RPGs? I think you are crazy but to each their own.
    Why RPG crazy on console ?! have you played Metal Gear Solid ?! Final Fantasy ?! I agree with FPS on console is a no-no
    You have it backwards. In 90s and early 2000 all computer technologies were still evolving quickly. You couldn't get by with a graphics upgrade you need to upgrade an entire system every ~2 years or so. Now most parts have reached saturation, you don't need the most modern CPU because the difference is minimal, hard disk space practically free and so is RAM.
    Monitor refresh rate? Lol. I have a 120Hz monitor and tried switching seeing the difference between it and 60Hz couldn't see any difference. Man, maybe if you are 15-17 and still have extremely fast reflexes (not to mention ping to go along). At our ages Hameed, it makes no difference, don't kid yourself :p
    Not true not true not true .... take a look at some FPS benchmark comparisons. and you'll know of what I am speaking especially in FPS.
    As for RPG gaming, RAM and CPU don't matter as RPGs are about visual effects like magic which need graphics performance
    Forget about me and you, I am talking in general, ... selfish old school :D
    Let's say give an example: The Witcher 3. On my desktop it looks beautiful and runs fast on medium. Saw it on friend's desktop at ultra.... I really couldn't feel a meaningful difference. Either way, a new high tier graphics card will be enough to run it on highest settings.
    Agree that not enough effort to optimize games for medium tier graphics card.
    You can put a game on ultra doesn't mean what you're seeing is ultra GFX experience. Just to give you an example, true Ultra graphics means that the game should look and feel as if you are playing a 1998 game on the PC you have right now .... in other terms the graphics should feel different from yours and the scene with the main character's motion should move as swift as a feather that's when you know your GFX is on ultra .... if you feel a little lag even in RPG you're not getting ultra

Libnene Qu7

Libnene Qu7

Super Ultra Senior Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Very interesting Convergence and Hameed! Finally a refreshing debate that doesn't include Syria and Saad.

As for the topic at hand, I'm debating on whether to play XCOM 2 or not. I'm a huge fan of the first game but I don't want another iteration of the same. Has anyone here played it?

Hameed

Hameed

Very interesting Convergence and Hameed! Finally a refreshing debate that doesn't include Syria and Saad.

As for the topic at hand, I'm debating on whether to play XCOM 2 or not. I'm a huge fan of the first game but I don't want another iteration of the same. Has anyone here played it?
    go to youtube, there's someone who made a big rant video of how pissed he is because the game has many many many flaws and errors ....

M_Gamer

M_Gamer

Wow i dont check the thread for awhile and there are alot of posts and a nice debate. Also imo, even though alot of people are heading towards xbox, ps and other stuff; there are still alot of pc gamers.
    PS: nice to see that there are some hardcore gamers here xD

Hameed

Hameed

Wow i dont check the thread for awhile and there are alot of posts and a nice debate. Also imo, even though alot of people are heading towards xbox, ps and other stuff; there are still alot of pc gamers.
    PS: nice to see that there are some hardcore gamers here xD
    PC gaming is returning, I doubt microsoft will make a successor for Xboxone.
    what system do u own ?

M_Gamer

M_Gamer

I use to have an xbox, ps2, and nintendo ds (no one mentioned the ds xD). But they wore out cuz i eventually stopped using them (and the ds's second screen was torn out). Atm i only play on my laptop and android.

Hameed

Hameed

I use to have an xbox, ps2, and nintendo ds (no one mentioned the ds xD). But they wore out cuz i eventually stopped using them (and the ds's second screen was torn out). Atm i only play on my laptop and android.
    DS is most successful in Japan because it has tons of Japanese games and its mostly popular among students both in school and university especially when commuting to and back from school.

In my opinion the most successful hand held ever made was the GameBoy, I didn't own one but used to play on it with my cousin. I owned a PSP though, but its controllers were very tedious to use. My first console was a NES ( nintendo entertainment system) yes that elegantly designed mystery Pandora's box :D

Hameed

Hameed

did you buy xcom 2 yet ?