What's the best way to invest $100,000?

S

Sparhawk

There are some solid companies offering student accommodation in UK for a guaranteed annual ROI of 8-10% for 10 years.
they take care of managing it, renting it & maintenance. All for free.
Brexit will not affect those, and demand is higher than supply.
They also offer good Buy-Back options.
small legal fee, and as a non resident foreigner you pay small municipality fees only (if I'm not wrong).

• Advertisement
  • Nonan

Nonan

There are some solid companies offering student accommodation in UK for a guaranteed annual ROI of 8-10% for 10 years.
    they take care of managing it, renting it & maintenance. All for free.
    Brexit will not affect those, and demand is higher than supply.
    They also offer good Buy-Back options.
    small legal fee, and as a non resident foreigner you pay small municipality fees only (if I'm not wrong).
    There is no way anyone can “guarantee” a risk free 8 to 10% per year

Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
    Staff member
    I can !! Invest in Ironmaideun its a new blockchain based e-coin thats gonna revolutionize the whole banking system and i personnall guarantee you an 8% yearly yield

Buy today, coz tomorrow you might lose all your money and i wont be able to get any of it :(

S

Sparhawk

Never said it was risk free. Still some of those companies seem to be quite solid & they have been doing this for many years, + you are getting a solid asset for your money. No doubt you have to weigh the risks for any investment.

G

Guitaret

SGBL withdrew its offer of ~16% 5 years saving plan for new accounts. Do you know if any bank is still offering it?

F

freemind

it is also worth noting that you should inquire what kind of accounts you are being offered in USD, some of these accounts are backed by Lebanese treasury bonds, the banks usually present that a sign of security, while in reality it is not the case as the Lebanese government reserves the right to decide when to pay you back and can choose to repay you in long term treasury bonds, in case of a financial and monetary crisis that is. but in general this is the type of saving accounts in USD that the banks are offering high rates for.
    @Dark Angel hi, its not the first time i come across something like this.
    Really, is it that you have the option to tell the bank what to do with your money? Or is it you willingly sign on investment into treasury bills? In which case the bank will tell you the conditions of the investment clearly. Right? Its not like banks are duping us without us getting aware, is it? Check again, or rephrase you statement.

So based on my analysis the less painful option is to depreciate the currency. It saves the banks, cuts govt debt in dollars, and you can do it with impunity. Should the people complain the politicians will hang the sword of civil war over their heads and leave them with no option but to submit. I have zero faith in all political parties and much less in the people of the country.
    Hi Shadow1, its been a while since that your post, i went through it again today, i kinda agree with most of what you say except for this bit I’ve quoted here. What people are saying this time around is that once Lira is depreciated there will be high demand on dollar thus heavy withdrawals, thus dollar will be unavailable since banks don’t have enough cash for all, thus banks will go bankrupt, and the government will have to freeze dollar assets. Mahek? Cheers.

Dark Angel

Dark Angel

Legendary Member
    @Dark Angel hi, its not the first time i come across something like this.
    Really, is it that you have the option to tell the bank what to do with your money? Or is it you willingly sign on investment into treasury bills? In which case the bank will tell you the conditions of the investment clearly. Right? Its not like banks are duping us without us getting aware, is it? Check again, or rephrase you statement.
    it depends on how well you know the people in the bank, usually the branch manager, because depending on the bank there are a couple of options for your savings accounts, it is not strictly one type, and sometimes important things slip through the fine prints.

the scenario i have described happened with me, the bank manager was a friend, and she was very honest about it, she said the following: we can give you a higher interest rate for a shorter deposit time frame, but that type of USD saving accounts is linked the Lebanese treasury bonds and abides by corresponding conditions, including one particular clause that entitles the state to appropriate the fund and replace it with treasury bonds in LL redeemable at a date of their choosing, she explained that this is a very far fetched scenario. there was also a different type of deposit accounts with a longer maturity date and a slightly lower interest, however that is not linked to the Lebanese treasury and will not be appropriated in case of a financial crisis.

F

freemind

it depends on how well you know the people in the bank, usually the branch manager, because depending on the bank there are a couple of options for your savings accounts, it is not strictly one type, and sometimes important things slip through the fine prints.

the scenario i have described happened with me, the bank manager was a friend, and she was very honest about it, she said the following: we can give you a higher interest rate for a shorter deposit time frame, but that type of USD saving accounts is linked the Lebanese treasury bonds and abides by corresponding conditions, including one particular clause that entitles the state to appropriate the fund and replace it with treasury bonds in LL redeemable at a date of their choosing, she explained that this is a very far fetched scenario. there was also a different type of deposit accounts with a longer maturity date and a slightly lower interest, however that is not linked to the Lebanese treasury and will not be appropriated in case of a financial crisis.
    I called Blom bank just now, what they said is that if an account is to be linked to treasury bills the account will go under blom invest, meaning there will be clear explanation on a fluctuating interest and conditions of the blom invest. Meaning its a complete scheme by itself you sign in to, not like something that would slip through fine prints. How true ya Dark Angel? share your info pls.

Dark Angel

Dark Angel

Legendary Member
    I called Blom bank just now, what they said is that if an account is to be linked to treasury bills the account will go under blom invest, meaning there will be clear explanation on a fluctuating interest and conditions of the blom invest. Meaning its a complete scheme by itself you sign in to, not like something that would slip through fine prints. How true ya Dark Angel? share your info pls.
    you called blom bank on a sunday? see i called my bank on a weekday, when the bank is actually open and the people who can answer these questions are actually at work. not sure shou baddak anyway.

F

freemind

you called blom bank on a sunday? see i called my bank on a weekday, when the bank is actually open and the people who can answer these questions are actually at work. not sure shou baddak anyway.
    The customer service line works 24/7 and with my experience with banks, you get a better answer when you are anonymous on the phone. A branch manager will never give you the answer you want, they will only let you know what they want you to know, unless the branch manager is your personal freind as you said.

Shou badde? Bankers are politicians they can twist things to their liking, next thing you know you’re on the wrong side of the boat.

F

freemind

You mean to say the person that answered me on customer care doesn’t know what he’s saying?

Dark Angel

Dark Angel

Legendary Member
    The customer service line works 24/7 and with my experience with banks, you get a better answer when you are anonymous on the phone. A branch manager will never give you the answer you want, they will only let you know what they want you to know, unless the branch manager is your personal freind as you said.

Shou badde? Bankers are politicians they can twist things to their liking, next thing you know you’re on the wrong side of the boat.
    well, the 24/7 representatives outside normal operation hours and on sundays are just there to help out with the basics, or to report your credit/debit card lost, etc; the answer they will usually give to other questions is "please call the branch during business hours".

as to the branch managers, they are usually more interested in making their target numbers than they are in revealing their cards to their customers. a few days ago i've had a call from a MEDBANK's manager giving me 10.5% interest rate on USD saving account for a one year period with monthly vested interest, and that's starting from a 200K deposit. but that's not necessarily a good thing. i would rather be getting 7% or 8% elsewhere as BANKMED is very politically tied up, and that's not a source of confidence, in particular if we examine how the hariri owned businesses are going bankrupt all over the world.

so there are more parameters to considers than just the interest rate.

Dark Angel

Dark Angel

Legendary Member
    You mean to say the person that answered me on customer care doesn’t know what he’s saying?
    i've always said that things will begin to get better in our country when Lebanese begin answering 'i do not know" to the questions they do not know the answer to. so it is possible.

F

freemind

i've always said that things will begin to get better in our country when Lebanese begin answering 'i do not know" to the questions they do not know the answer to. so it is possible.
    What do they call those accounts linked to treasury bills? Whats the trick to uncover it?

Dark Angel

Dark Angel

Legendary Member
    What do they call those accounts linked to treasury bills? Whats the trick to uncover it?
    just ask them directly, can the state or the central bank have this USD savings account replaced by LL treasury bonds payable at a later date in case of a financial crisis or any other issue?

if they for some reason do not point out the fine print, though they usually do, then they will not evade a direct question.

PS: keep in mind that sometimes they put a positive spin on it and present it as a protective net, they may tell you these accounts are "backed by the treasury bonds" in case something happened. the word of choice is usually "mad3oumeen", so in that case inquire a bit more.

Last edited:
    F

freemind

just ask them directly, can the state or the central bank have this USD savings account replaced by LL treasury bonds payable at a later date in case of a financial crisis or any other issue?

if they for some reason do not point out the fine print, though they usually do, then they will not evade a direct question.

PS: keep in mind that sometimes they put a positive spin on it and present it as a protective net, they may tell you these accounts are "backed by the treasury bonds" in case something happened. the word of choice is usually "mad3oumeen", so in that case inquire a bit more.
    Wow thats too much, lets see how it goes. Thanks anyway.

F

freemind

Lets be frank though, in case of a financial crisis, whether linked to treasury bonds or not you will still be affected, nothing will protect.