• Before posting an article from a specific source, check this list here to see how much the Orange Room trust it. You can also vote/change your vote based on the source track record.

Who is Chamel Roukouz in his own words?

joseph_lubnan

Legendary Member
Aside from being a successful army general, who is General Chamel Roukouz and what does he stand for based on statements or stances he has taken? Please post what you know he has said and link to any information, news or statements.

joseph_lubnan

Legendary Member
Two notes:

1. We all know he is Aoun's son in law but this is not the point of this thread, nor is it my intention from it. Since all of you like to question intentions, I will share up front that my intention is to highlight that people are following and casting as a political leader someone who they know nothing about in terms of political positions or stances or policies. My intention is also to say that if Roukouz wants to really be a leader he needs to start speaking!

2. I take as a given and without questioning that General Roukouz is a successful army general based on comment from FPMers who know him. My intention is not to question his successful army career.

Dirty Dragon

A successful and clean army leader with strong popular support across sects is as good a candidate for presidency as any. Having nothing to do with Lebanese politics is a virtue not a vice.

motorhead

I meant you failed... in this thread :)

Actually, this thread is 100% spot on. People here keep talking about him as a hero yet know nothing about his stances.

Please, go ahead and enlighten the masses what are his positions on the various Lebanese issues.

Impera

He is briefly mentioned in this Wikileaks cable. The year is 2007.

Cable: 07BEIRUT427_a

LEBANON: AOUN SKEPTICS ON HIZBALLAH, POLITICAL SETTLEMENT

"Polchief attended a 3/21 dinner at the home of Dr. Nabil Tawil, longtime friend and confidant of both Michel Aoun and Walid Jumblatt, and personal physician to Aoun. Three MPs were at the dinner, including Free Patriotic Movement (FPM) members Walid Khoury and Farid Khazen, and Bassem Shab, Christian Mustaqbal MP and Aoun skeptic from Sidon. Also present was Colonel Chamel Roukoz, square-jawed and taciturn executive officer for the LAF's Ranger Regiment. Roukoz is Aoun's closest military advisor, a veteran of Aoun's 1990 battles against the Syrians, and rumored fiance of one of Aoun's daughters. Finally, another staunch Aoun supporter, LAU Professor Habib Malik, joined the dinner late and Tawil's son Hadi, an FPM activist, also joined the discussion."

"Another longstanding conspiracy theory in Lebanon holds that Israel has sought to keep Hizballah strong and active to sow chaos in Lebanon and justify military incursions there. Tawil and his son Hadi advanced this theory and found some support around the table. Khazen alleged that Israel had used Hizballah in the past and had forgone opportunities to finish the group off, and that Israel's failure to mobilize reserves early in the 2006 Israeli-Hizballah War indicated a lack of interest in achieving a decisive victory. Col. Roukoz asserted that had the Israelis been serious about cutting off and wiping out Hizballah in 2006, they would have staged an invasion from the Golan Heights/Shebaa Farms area into the southern Beqaa, severing Hizballah's supply lines and splitting its forces in two."

Amirkani

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
Actually, this thread is 100% spot on. People here keep talking about him as a hero yet know nothing about his stances.

Please, go ahead and enlighten the masses what are his positions on the various Lebanese issues.
Why do you want to force him into talking?

Yes I know him very well and work with him. I have known him and worked with for a long time and he helped us a lot during the Syrian occupation... mind you without talking or making speeches and way before he was Aoun's son-in-law and before Bassil was even known.

You guys want to reduce him to one of these things. Either not a good orator or Aoun's son-in-law or Bassil's rival or competition :)

Anyway, he's very active and preparing. He will speak when he decides to speak not when you want him to. If people like him and think of him as a hero (and they do) before he starts speaking that's a plus and I don't see why you and others are all going apeshit about it :)

And it's not my place or right to speak for him or about where he stands on issues.

Impera

Yes I know him very well and work with him. I have known him and worked with for a long time and he helped us a lot during the Syrian occupation... mind you without talking or making speeches and way before he was Aoun's son-in-law and before Bassil was even known.

You guys want to reduce him to one of these things. Either not a good orator or Aoun's son-in-law or Bassil's rival or competition :)

Anyway, he's very active and preparing. He will speak when he decides to speak not when you want him to. If people like him and think of him as a hero (and they do) before he starts speaking that's a plus and I don't see why you and others are all going apeshit about it :)

And it's not my place or right to speak for him or about where he stands on issues.

Will he work as an FPMer or stay on the outside?

motorhead

Thanks for the background info on why you admire the man.

However, for the rest of us simple folks, we need to hear / see public statements and positions made by the man to make judgement.

Don't blame the people asking the questions, you should expect it when so many here are putting the man up on a pedestal eventhough they seem to know nothing about him.

It's not far fetched to say that many in the Aouni movement are blindly hanging on to him because they see him as their salvation from Bassil.

Amirkani

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
Thanks for the background info on why you admire the man.

However, for the rest of us simple folks, we need to hear / see public statements and positions made by the man to make judgement.

Don't blame the people asking the questions, you should expect it when so many here are putting the man up on a pedestal eventhough they seem to know nothing about him.

It's not far fetched to say that many in the Aouni movement are blindly hanging on to him because they see him as their salvation from Bassil.
I am not blaming the people. You are for liking him :)

I am fine with however they feel, liking him or disliking him. I have my reasons for liking him and they have theirs. You might also have your reasons for not liking him :)