Why are Catholic priests more prone to become sexual predators?

Why is pedophilia rampant within the Catholic Church?

• Total voters
AtheistForJesus

AtheistForJesus

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
Researchers put the prevalence of paedophilia in the general population at 0.5% to 1%.
However, Catholic priests tend to be overrepresented in child sex offenses.
The 4,392 priests who were accused amount to approximately 4% of the 109,694 priests in active ministry during that time.
What do you think is the reason behind that?

• Advertisement
  • Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
    Orange Room Supporter
    Researchers put the prevalence of paedophilia in the general population at 0.5% to 1%.
    The 4,392 priests who were accused amount to approximately 4% of the 109,694 priests in active ministry during that time.
    I’d bet its the wine, they cheaped out and got some of madroub cheap stuff

fidelio

fidelio

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    صيبة عين بعيد عنك

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    - First, I don't know where you got your numbers, but they are wrong. Studies say that the percentage of pedophiles in the Catholic clergy is less than that in the general population.

You just hear about the Catholic clergy all the time because they are the target of hate from many groups, including the liberal media.

- Second, if the issue was celibacy, the priests would be breaking their vows with consenting women. They would not be abusing male children.

- Speaking of which, many of the abuse cases do not even involve children, but are cases of homosexual superiors abusing younger adult seminarians. In fact, the homosexual infiltration of the Church is so prevalent that, many seminarians who denounce predatory elders and homosexual activity in the seminaries end up being punished and kicked out.

- Finally, the thread title should be changed because it is not factual, and it is spreading falsehood in people's minds.

Thomas G. Plante: professor of psychiatry and behavioral sciences at Stanford University School of Medicine

J

joseph_lubnan

Legendary Member
    I am not one to defend the church, god knows, and @Indie too :)

BUT

Even if your numbers are correct, there is little value in comparing this specific group with the general population. If you want to compare, try to do so with other distinct groups of similar all male composition with some societal authority associated with their roles, at least it would be a better discussion.

yeah, that's all I wanted to say. :)

AtheistForJesus

AtheistForJesus

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    - Finally, the thread title should be changed because it is not factual, and it is spreading falsehood in people's minds.

Thomas G. Plante: professor of psychiatry and behavioral sciences at Stanford University School of Medicine
    Really? The Pope himself admitted pedophilia is a problem within the Church.

Dark Angel

Dark Angel

Legendary Member
    it is a problem because priests are entrusted to be role models. even if there was a single pedophile priest it would still be a major problem. and for your record there are 400000 priests in the world, not 100000.

"Worldwide, the number of priests in 1970 was 419,728. In 2012, there were a total of 414,313 priests. While the total number of priests worldwide has therefore remained about the same since 1970, the Catholic population has nearly doubled, growing from 653.6 million in 1970 to 1.229 billion in 2012."

which makes the 4000 cases, even if true, about 1%, not 4%. the statistics you are using are misleading.

Last edited:
    J

joseph_lubnan

Legendary Member
    it is a problem because priests are entrusted to be role models. even if there was a single pedophile priest it would still be a major problem. and for your record there are 400000 priests in the world, not 100000.

"Worldwide, the number of priests in 1970 was 419,728. In 2012, there were a total of 414,313 priests. While the total number of priests worldwide has therefore remained about the same since 1970, the Catholic population has nearly doubled, growing from 653.6 million in 1970 to 1.229 billion in 2012."

which makes the 4000 cases, even if true, about 1%, not 4%. the statistics you are using are misleading.
    We know nothing about his statistics, it may be worse than misleading.

A couple more points, general population usually includes both men and women, while the priest population is only male, and he is also probably comparing accused on one side vs. convicted pedophiles in the general population. His numbers are simply Bullshit. This thread is Bullshit. Doesn't mean there is not a problem wrt priest pedophiles.

ܐܵܠܘܼܟ̰ܵܐ

ܐܵܠܘܼܟ̰ܵܐ

Orange Room Supporter
    Homosexuality in all brotherhoods (Christian, Muslim and Jewish) is expected when we're talking about 1%. And isolation and exposure to young children is surely going to lead to cases of pedophilia. It has to do with constant exposure to something. The human nature in terms of sexuality always goes to a new extreme and comes back hungry.

Now, Christianity does promote softness among men. You sometimes notice that the catholic priests are soft-spoken and motherly. This whole aspect coupled with isolation from the real world (and so not achieving proper maturity), makes the priest more tempted to make moves on children in his assembly. As he himself is a child in emotional and intellectual maturity. But it would happen to a fringe minority, of course. Christianity also memes the death of a shirtless sexy-looking man with long hair. So it has some erotic aspects of nudity, torture, youth, etc. Which a daily exposure to can lead to sexual perversion to someone constantly thinking about those temptations.

But the problem is also found among Muslims. But not exposed a lot. E.g Ibn Tammiyah, who didn't marry any woman, was said to be into young men as well. One of his students even talked about the rampant homosexuality among people of the Islamic Fiqh. Which I bet is rampant in Salafi and extremist circles to this day. The Tripoli meme comes to mind.

ܐܵܠܘܼܟ̰ܵܐ

ܐܵܠܘܼܟ̰ܵܐ

Orange Room Supporter
    Hollyweird and Blue America is rampant with atheist pedos. E.g Epstein, Polanski, Podesta brothers, etc.

But I think those are mostly pedos, because they got really bored of normal sex, and their nature goes to really dark extremes. And because "wealth" gives you the confidence to think that you can get away with everything.

But also because "atheism" is a deterrent to conservatism and honor.

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    The pope admitted that sexual predators within the Church are a problem. He did not say that there are more predators in the Church than elsewhere, nor that celibacy is what causes predatorial behaviour.

Of course it's a problem when predators infiltrate the Church, hurt innocent people, all while tarnishing the image of Christianity with behaviour that is opposite to its teachings. All Catholics are aware of and angered by this problem, not just the pope. We are the first to want our Church cleaned out of these frauds.

That doesn't mean we will validate false assertions made about the topic.

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Now, Christianity does promote softness among men. You sometimes notice that the catholic priests are soft-spoken and motherly. This whole aspect coupled with isolation from the real world (and so not achieving proper maturity), makes the priest more tempted to make moves on children in his assembly. As he himself is a child in emotional and intellectual maturity. But it would happen to a fringe minority, of course.
    Do not mistake kindness with softness. The men with the most wisdom, love, and integrity are the ones with the strongest character.

Those who act tough on the outside are the soft ones: they have low self-esteem, and they abuse others to try and feel better about themselves.

Christianity also memes the death of a shirtless sexy-looking man with long hair. So it has some erotic aspects of nudity, torture, youth, etc. Which a daily exposure to can lead to sexual perversion to someone constantly thinking about those temptations.
    I've only ever heard this nonsense once before, and it was someone on the forum.

Mrsrx

Mrsrx

Somehow a Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    A sensible comparison would be with all jobs that tend to work with children as these generally attracts pedos ...If the numbers are right maybe assholes are becoming priests for the opportunity of working with kids and not because they are priests the are pedos....
    add to that if they know its wrong or been tortured all their lives they may have the idea that devoting themselves to god will absolve their sins/horrible tendencies...
    in both cases its the chicken or the egg if the numbers are correct

ܐܵܠܘܼܟ̰ܵܐ

ܐܵܠܘܼܟ̰ܵܐ

Orange Room Supporter
    Those who act tough on the outside are the soft ones: they have low self-esteem, and they abuse others to try and feel better about themselves.
    That's actually observed alpha-male / alpha-female behavior in animals. It's the equivalent of calling a female Hyena pact leader "weak and insecure" because she's dominating everyone and being nasty.

I don't agree with Christian precepts that people should "turn the other cheek" and "love their enemies". I believe it promotes weakness and softness. I abide by the Druze precept, "من يعتدي ليس منا و من لا يرد الإعتداء ليس منا.""

ܐܵܠܘܼܟ̰ܵܐ

ܐܵܠܘܼܟ̰ܵܐ

Orange Room Supporter
    I've only ever heard this nonsense once before, and it was someone on the forum.
    It's not nonsense if you understand how memes affect the human mind. Brains are like sponges.

Dark Angel

Dark Angel

Legendary Member
    It's not nonsense if you understand how memes affect the human mind. Brains are like sponges.
    memes?
    we do not have memes in Christianity. Christ was crucified naked. His whole physical appearance was crushed beyond recognition. and this is the second time i ever hear anyone make such a comment, the first time i heard it said it was from a woman converting to Christianity and was still in the process of learning.

ܐܵܠܘܼܟ̰ܵܐ

ܐܵܠܘܼܟ̰ܵܐ

Orange Room Supporter
    memes?
    we do not have memes in Christianity. Christ was crucified naked. His whole physical appearance was crushed beyond recognition. and this is the second time i ever hear anyone make such a comment, the first time i heard it said it was from a woman converting to Christianity and was still in the process of learning.
    I believe every system of thought is based on memes. Refer to Memetics - Wikipedia.

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    @Dark Angel already said what I would reply to this: there is no meme. Jesus existed and he suffered a roman crucifixion. This is stated in non-Christian records of the time. Romans crucified their victims naked. If anything, Christian imagery of Christ's crucifixion is demure compared to the real thing, since He is depicted covered with a cloth.