Why was Lebanon doing better under Syrian tutelage?

manifesto

manifesto

Call me crazy but lately I'm feeling nostalgic for the Syrian era.

Ever since 2005, the country has been going downhill. Our economy deteriorated, unemployment soared, and the tourist industry died.

The period stretching from 1990 to 2005 was a relatively prosperous period in the history of Lebanon. The economy was booming. Beirut was being rebuilt. There was a great deal of hope in the air.

Sure we may be more free now, but we are also poorer, and less secure.

Give me back Syrian hegemony.

• Advertisement
  • Tsunami27

Tsunami27

Whatever we have faced as an economic downhill after 2005 is a natural extension / consequence to what was happening during the wisaye area. All leakages in our budget have root causes that date back to the wisaye area

Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
    Staff member
    Call me crazy but lately I'm feeling nostalgic for the Syrian era.

Ever since 2005, the country has been going downhill. Our economy deteriorated, unemployment soared, and the tourist industry died.

The period stretching from 1990 to 2005 was a relatively prosperous period in the history of Lebanon. The economy was booming. Beirut was being rebuilt. There was a great deal of hope in the air.

Sure we may be more free now, but we are also poorer, and less secure.

Give me back Syrian hegemony.
    Obvious troll is obvious.

Weak sauce b8 m8 !!!

manifesto

manifesto

Whatever we have faced as an economic downhill after 2005 is a natural extension / consequence to what was happening during the wisaye area. All leakages in our budget have root causes that date back to the wisaye area
    Japan and Germany recovered from a devastating world war and went on to become leading economies. We can't recover from wisayeh? Bullshit. As I said, all studies show that the economy was much better during Syrian occupation than it is now. It's not an excuse.

القائمة
    التطورات الاقتصادية والمالية في لبنان منذ العام 2000 وحتى سنة 2014 أرقام تؤكّد ضرورة التعجيل في إعادة هيكلة الاقتصاد وإجراء إصلاحات مالية جدية
    19 حزيران 2014 | 00:49
    المصدر: المصدر: اتحاد المصارف العربية الأمانة العامة – إدارة الدراسات والبحوث

شهد لبنان خلال العقد الأخير تطورات سياسية وأمنية واقتصادية محلية وإقليمية ودولية، أثّرت في تطوره الاقتصادي والتنموي، ومن أهمها اغتيال الرئيس الشهيد رفيق الحريري عام 2005، وحرب تموز 2006 والأزمة المالية العالمية عام 2008، وصولاً إلى التحولات السياسية التي تشهدها المنطقة منذ نهاية العام 2010.

الفترة 2000 – 2004
    قبل العام 2005 وخصوصاً منذ منتصف عام 2000 شهد لبنان تطورات اقتصادية جيدة، إذ سجلت معظم المؤشرات تحسناً ملحوظاً وتحديداً بعد الانسحاب الاسرائيلي من الجنوب. ففي مقابل نسبة نمو حقيقي بلغت 1٫1% عام 2000، بلغ النمو 3٫9% عام 2001 و3٫4% عام 2002 وصولاً الى 1٫7% عام 2003، و5٫06% نهاية 2004. وبذلك، وصل الناتج المحلي الاجمالي للبنان إلى حوالى 21 مليار دولار نهاية عام 2004 مقابل 17٫25 ملياراً عام 2000، كما سجلت الفترة 2000 – 2004 متوسط نمو حقيقياً بلغ 3٫03 سنوياً.
    من هنا، بدأت الأوضاع المستقرة جذب المستثمرين، فارتفع الاستثمار خلال هذه الفترة كنسبة من الناتج المحلي من 19٫13% عام 2000 الى 23,05% عام 2004 وليرتفع الاستثمار الأجنبي المباشر من 1٫34 مليار دولار عام 2002 أي 7% من الناتج المحلي الى 2٫86 ملياري دولار عام 2003 (14٫2% من الناتج) وصولاً الى 1٫9 مليار دولار عام 2004 (8٫7% من الناتج). كما شهدت هذه الفترة زيادة ملحوظة في معدلات الادخار والتي زادت كنسبة من الناتج المحلي من 1٫76% عام 2000 الى 7٫15% عام 2004 وبمتوسط سنوي عند 4٫44%، فيما بلغ معدل التضخم 2٫21% عام 2004 مقابل تضخم سلبي عند 1٫61% عام 2000.
    أما عجز الموازنة، فقد شهد تراجعاً مستمراً من 4٫08 مليارات دولار عام 2000، الى 3٫65 مليارات عام 2001، و3٫05 مليارات عام 2002، و2٫72 مليارين عام 2003، فالى 2٫08 مليارين عام 2004. وكل ذلك جاء نتيجة للاصلاحات الكبيرة التي شهدتها الموازنة والتي أدت الى تراجع العجز من 23٫63% من الناتج المحلي عام 2000 الى نسبة 9٫93% نهاية عام 2004. وعلى الرغم من الزيادة في عجز الميزان التجاري من 3 مليارات دولار عام 2000 لـ 3٫33 مليارات عام 2004، إلا أن نسبة عذا العجز من الناتج انخفضت من 17٫37% الى 15٫9% لأن نسبة النمو في حجم الاقتصاد فاقت نسبة النمو في هذا العجز خلال تلك الفترة، وأيضاً ساهمت تحويلات غير المقيمين في الحد من العجز في الحساب الجاري بعدما ارتفعت من 2,54 ملياري دولار عام 2002 الى 5,59 مليارات نهاية 2004. والمؤشر الوحيد الذي شهد تدهورا ملحوظا خلال الفترة المذكورة هو حجم الدين العام الذي زاد من 25,2 مليار دولار (146,1% من الناتج المحلي) إلى 35,88 مليارا (171,18% من الناتج المحلي).

Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
    Staff member
    Don't mind the provocative headline. It's a way to grab readers. Journalism 101.

But there's arguably some truth in what I'm saying.
    Your feelings dont really count.

Quantify ur wuestion with gdp figures, jobless figures and then i might consider it not a troll thread.

I didnt call u out from ur slumber for this :p

manifesto

manifesto

Your feelings dont really count.

Quantify ur wuestion with gdp figures, jobless figures and then i might consider it not a troll thread.

I didnt call u out from ur slumber for this :p
    LOL OK fair enough I'll do my homework tomorrow and report back.

Meanwhile, I think the article I posted above can serve as an appetizer.

gramsci

gramsci

Legendary Member
    only syrian lackeys were benefiting from this period..
    for us communist it was a constant persecution..
    the only good outcome from the syrian war is that most of those bastards died.. along with trash like alaa al bosna the guy hassan nasrallah was going proud of that he was fighting to defend alqaeda in bosnia .-

Isabella

Isabella

The Queen Of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    only syrian lackeys were benefiting from this period..
    for us communist it was a constant persecution..
    the only good outcome from the syrian war is that most of those bastards died.. along with trash like alaa al bosna the guy hassan nasrallah was going proud of that he was fighting to defend alqaeda in bosnia .-
    This whole us communists thing you have going on makes me irrationally angry! I'm not even remotely ashamed to admit it lol! I just don't get this tendency of yours to romanticise communism along with an idealised vision of countries such as Russia, China and even North Korea!

/Rant

gramsci

gramsci

Legendary Member
    This whole us communists thing you have going on makes me irrationally angry! I'm not even remotely ashamed to admit it lol! I just don't get this tendency of yours to romanticise communism along with an idealised vision of countries such as Russia, China and even North Korea!

/Rant
    hope that u will call ur son vladimir :))
    in the 1990's i was living in the syrian occupied lebanon ..so i am talking about things i know and i lived through not just romanticising..

gramsci

gramsci

Legendary Member
    Close, i had Nikolai in the running :lol: also Fyodor as a joke!
    Nikolay is a beautiful name ..
    yuri is my favorite
    fyodor like dostoevskij first name .. thats nice .

Last edited:
    gramsci

gramsci

Legendary Member
    ghazi kanaan suicide with 3 bullet ..
    rustom the deer .. beaten to death
    friday friday ..dunno if he still alive

..fill the list with " shift Schlon " guys of kaak kaak sellers

manifesto

manifesto

/Rant
    Il voit la vie en rouge.

JB81

JB81

Legendary Member
    Don't mind the provocative headline. It's a way to grab readers. Journalism 101.

But there's arguably some truth in what I'm saying.
    70% of the budget goes to pay the debt service. I remember MP Najah Wakim and other mps warning PM Rafic Hariri of unreasonable interests and loans he used to borrow back than. What do Lebanese got, a couple buildings in the downtown

gramsci

gramsci

Legendary Member

/Rant
    ur irrationality is natural , since i am the one who is follwoing the path of rational thinking..
    whats wrong with russia , china and north korea ? u forgot to add vietnam , cuba , venezuela, nepal ..? u dont like them? . i like them ;)

gramsci

gramsci

Legendary Member
    i forget one thing ..
    everytime someone mention the syrian kaak era , i remember the story of qlaylat ? dont recall her full name , the lady who stole huge amount of money and escaped to brazil :D

SeaAb

SeaAb

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Super Penguin
    i forget one thing ..
    everytime someone mention the syrian kaak era , i remember the story of qlaylat ? dont recall her full name , the lady who stole huge amount of money and escaped to brazil :D
    Rana