Parliamentary elections 2018 Women in the lebanese parliament

mrsrx

mrsrx

Newish Member
Orange Room Supporter
Well after talking so much about the growth of the number of women candidates only a few made it. The results are sad in this matter.

I know quota have been talked about but that would make the law even worse by adding a new dimension to it (over the sects).Not to add that it is sad in 2018 that this does not happen organically and we need to talk aboit quotas.

why are women so under represented knowi....do you have any idea if other backward countries resolved this? and how?

• Advertisement
  • F

freelebanonn

Legendary Member
    Well after talking so much about the growth of the number of women candidates only a few made it. The results are sad in this matter.

I know quota have been talked about but that would make the law even worse by adding a new dimension to it (over the sects).Not to add that it is sad in 2018 that this does not happen organically and we need to talk aboit quotas.

why are women so under represented knowi....do you have any idea if other backward countries resolved this? and how?
    I am against women quota to the max as if women are less valued than men thus they need to be protected by law ( like a species in danger of becoming extinct)

The reasons why women are under represented are many . I will give you my opinion :

1- we live in a “ moujtama3 zoukoure” since ages where the norm and culture tell you that politics is for men only.

2- Women in Lebanon accepted this fact as logical and never tried to change it until recently ( it took decades in the west for black people and homosexuals to be considered equal with all ). It takes time.

3- Women in Lebanon never worked hard on becoming successful themselves . They get fed since childhood that boukra baddik tekhde ahla hakim aw ahla mhandis and instead of becoming a doctor herself she spend most of her days paying money on plastic surgeries in the hope of winning that doctor . Toumouh el mara bi lebnen ysir esma mart el neyib flen , aw mart el wazir aw mart el 3amid.

4- Women who get a chance to enter the public field never try to work on growing and maintaining a popular base like men do so they can really try their luck in parliament election in the future. Most of the female candidates you heard of in this election were NGO founders or members and because of civil movements protest a while back people heard of them for the 1st time so they thought that this is enough for them to make this major breakthrough.

5- FPM ran lots of statistics to see who is the best to nominate him and all potential female candidates got low numbers . FPM is not running for show off. They have an election to win.

manifesto

manifesto

Yup only 8 made it to the parliament. Only 6 through personal merit.
    (Sethrida and Bahia through wiraseh siyesieh)