Word of the Day

Picasso

Picasso

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
meritocracy
noun

a social system, society, or organization in which people have power because of their abilities, not because of their money or social position:

The company is a meritocracy. Good work is rewarded with promotions.

• Advertisement
  • Picasso

Picasso

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Samizdat [Russe]

Littéralement "auto-édition". Ce terme désigne la littérature interdite (généralement tapée à la machine ou photocopiée) circulant sous le manteau.

Last edited:
    Picasso

Picasso

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    forestall
    verb

To prevent something from happening by acting first:

The company executives forestalled criticism by inviting union leaders to meet.

Picasso

Picasso

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Philogynist
    • a person who likes or admires women.

Picasso

Picasso

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    modus vivendi
    /ˌməʊdəs vɪˈvɛndiː,ˌməʊdəs vɪˈvɛndʌɪ/
    noun

1. an arrangement or agreement allowing conflicting parties to coexist peacefully, either indefinitely or until a final settlement is reached.
      "the two states have with difficulty reached a modus vivendi, though hardly friendship"
      • a way of living.
        "the Christian faith and its implications for a modus vivendi"

Picasso

Picasso

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    invigorating
    /ɪnˈvɪɡəreɪtɪŋ/
    adjective

1. making one feel strong, healthy, and full of energy.
      "a brisk, invigorating walk"

Picasso

Picasso

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    lumber room
    noun
    BRITISH

1. a room where disused or bulky things are kept.
    As it happened, the pastoral novels of George Sand which she was giving me for my birthday were regular lumber-rooms full of expressions that have fallen out of use and become quaint and picturesque, and are now only to be found in country dialects.

In Search of Lost Time ~ Marcel Proust

My Moria Moon

My Moria Moon

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    This thread is ten years old. With all the ebbs and floods of your forum presence, it still lives on. Your perseverance is admirable @Picasso.

Picasso

Picasso

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    This thread is ten years old. With all the ebbs and floods of your forum presence, it still lives on. Your perseverance is admirable @Picasso.
    thank you
    exclamation

1. a polite expression used when acknowledging a gift, service, or compliment, or accepting or refusing an offer.
      "thank you for your letter"
    noun
    1. an instance or means of expressing thanks.
      "Lucy planned a party as a thank you to hospital staff"

Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
    Orange Room Supporter
    lumber room
    noun
    BRITISH

1. a room where disused or bulky things are kept.
    As it happened, the pastoral novels of George Sand which she was giving me for my birthday were regular lumber-rooms full of expressions that have fallen out of use and become quaint and picturesque, and are now only to be found in country dialects.

or as we say in akkar: el khechebieh :D

Picasso

Picasso

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    dilly-dally
    /ˈdɪlɪdali/
    verb
    INFORMAL
    1. waste time through aimless wandering or indecision.
    "They say he's a friendly animal," Francoise would go on, having got the story from Theodore, "as clever as a Christian, always in a good temper, always friendly, always well-behaved. You don't see an animal so gentlemanly at that age. Mme Octave, I've got to leave you now; I haven't time to dilly-dally; it's nearly ten o'clock and my fire not lighted yet, and I've still got to scrape my asparagus."

Picasso

Picasso

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    colander
    noun [ C ]

UK /ˈkɒl.ən.dər/
    US /ˈkɑː.lən.dɚ/

a bowl with small holes in it, used for washing food or for emptying food into when it has been cooked in water:

How I loved our church, and clearly I can see it still! The old porch by which we entered, black, and full of holes as a colander, was worn out of shape and deeply furrowed at the sides (as also was the font to which it led us) just as if the gentle friction of the cloaks of peasant-women coming into church, and of their fingers dipping into the holy water, had managed by age-long repetition to acquire a destructive force, to impress itself on the stone, to carve grooves in it like those made by cart-wheels upon stone gate-posts which they bump against every day.

Last edited:
    Picasso

Picasso

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    sparkling
    adjective

UK /ˈspɑː.klɪŋ/
    US /ˈspɑːr.klɪŋ/

• shining brightly.
    Its windows were never so sparkling as on days when the sun scarcely shone, so that if it was dull outside you could be sure it would be fine inside the church.

Picasso

Picasso

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    va-et-vient
    nom masculin invariable

1. Mouvement d'un objet qui va alternativement d'un point à un autre : Le va-et-vient d'un balancier, d'un piston.
    2. Mouvement de personnes ou de choses qui vont et viennent : Faire le va-et-vient entre deux services.
    3. Mouvement plus ou moins confus de personnes, de véhicules qui entrent et sortent : Un café où il y a beaucoup de va-et-vient.

Bâtiment
    Charnière spéciale de porte, à ressort, permettant l'ouverture du battant dans les deux sens.

Électricité
    Montage qui permet, à l'aide d'interrupteurs inverseurs, d'allumer ou d'éteindre une lampe électrique de deux ou de plusieurs endroits différents.

Marine
    Cordage tendu entre deux points et servant à établir une communication entre deux navires ou entre un navire et la côte, en particulier pour des opérations de sauvetage.

Picasso

Picasso

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    sexuel, sexuelle
    adjectif

(bas latin sexualis)

1. Relatif au sexe, à la différence biologique entre mâle et femelle : Parties sexuelles.
    2. Qui relève de la sexualité : Pratiques sexuelles.
    3. Qui concerne la reproduction sexuée.
    ~ Larousse

Picasso

Picasso

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    discern
    verb [ T ]
    formal

UK /dɪˈsɜːn/
    US /dɪˈsɝːn/

to see, recognize, or understand something that is not clear.

In vain might Mme Loiseau deck her windowsills with fuchsias, which developed the bad habit of letting their branches trail at all times and in all directions, head downwards, and whose flowers had no more important business, when they were big enough to taste the joys of life, than to go and cool their purple, congested cheeks against the dark front of the church, to me such conduct sanctified the fuchsias not at all; between the flowers and the blackened stone against which they leaned, if my eyes could discern no gap, my mind preserved the impression of an abyss.