Breaking Yet Another Mass Shooting in the US

JustLeb

Legendary Member
This thread is aggregate all the current and future shootings in the US;
Since they are frequent, I think it is a good idea to concentrate the discussion in one thread.

While I feel sorry for any loss of life, I can't but notice the irony that the US issues warning to US citizens not to go to Lebanon for safety reasons, when Lebanon could be safer for them than their own country.

• Advertisement
  • JustLeb

Legendary Member
    Live updates: California shooting leaves 12 dead in Thousand Oaks - CNN

Mass shooting at California dance bar

Breaking: 12 dead in California Bar shooting

Twelve people, including a police officer, were killed after a gunman forced his way into the Borderline Bar & Grill and opened fire on Wednesday night, Sheriff Geoff Dean told reporters moments ago. The suspected gunman was also found dead at the scene. Up to 12 other people are injured.

Nonan

The problem in the US is that there are no enough guns in peoples hands. Teachers should be armed, barmaids should be armed, bouncers should be armed, nurses should be armed, ushers should be armed, etc. That way, there is always a good guy with a (machine) gun nearby to shoot all the bad guys with guns! That’s the best way to reduce gun fatalities and eliminate mass shootings in the US.

Iron Maiden

The problem in the US is that there are no enough guns in peoples hands. Teachers should be armed, barmaids should be armed, bouncers should be armed, nurses should be armed, ushers should be armed, etc. That way, there is always a good guy with a (machine) gun nearby to shoot all the bad guys with guns! That’s the best way to reduce gun fatalities and eliminate mass shootings in the US.
    We need to allow fully automatic machine guns
    And why stop at that ? We could allow M60 machine guns...
    If its not gun attacks its knives

London can witness to that

Having a constitution that allows to defend yourself is a boon not a curse, cogitez :)

Iron Maiden

The constitution was written with a musket in mind... In any case, i will take a knife attack any day over an AR-15.
    The constiturion is written, as far as i understand, with a tyrant government in mind

I think the intellectual capacity of the founders was not limited to the conceptsand technology of the times.

Change my mind

SeaAb

Staff member
    Super Penguin
    When is something going to be done already? It's unbelievable how everyone just moves on like nothing happened...

JustLeb

Legendary Member
    When is something going to be done already? It's unbelievable how everyone just moves on like nothing happened...
    I used to think that we are the only shitty country in the world, but as I grew up and see the real world, it appeared that we are not alone.
    Even in a country that is ranked top of the world there is enough shit that at times overshadow ours :D

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    If its not gun attacks its knives

London can witness to that

Having a constitution that allows to defend yourself is a boon not a curse, cogitez :)
    I get the idea behind the constitution, but the whole gun obsession is one thing I don't get or agree with conservatives.

Other Western countries have much stricter gun laws and these types of tragedies almost never happen there.

The constiturion is written, as far as i understand, with a tyrant government in mind

I think the intellectual capacity of the founders was not limited to the conceptsand technology of the times.

Change my mind
    Precisely, defense against a tyrant government, not self defense against thieves or murderers per say.
    In the right context, the amendment called for a well organized militia. The way it was written though grammatically lends itself to an absolute right to bear arms outside of a militia.
    The founders on the other hand did not have to grapple with the negative effects of widespread very lethal individual weapons. You put those in the hands of the wrong people and as is the case in here bodies pile up.

Iron Maiden

I get the idea behind the constitution, but the whole gun obsession is one thing I don't get or agree with conservatives.

Other Western countries have much stricter gun laws and these types of tragedies almost never happen there.
    Crime will happen whether guns are involved or not
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5251268/london-stabbings-knife-crime-statistics-attacks/

If you take the numbers of knofe related deaths/mutilation per capita in the uk it is higher than gun related mass violence in the us. The uk being one if the countries with the strictest gun laws in the west.

The media spotlight is the difference

Precisely, defense against a tyrant government, not self defense against thieves or murderers per say.
    In the right context, the amendment called for a well organized militia. The way it was written though grammatically lends itself to an absolute right to bear arms outside of a militia.
    The founders on the other hand did not have to grapple with the negative effects of widespread very lethal individual weapons. You put those in the hands of the wrong people and as is the case in here bodies pile up.
    Indeed it allows to bear arms outside of the militia because they were tinkung of the lawlesness that was widespread in such a vast territory.
    How did expect a farmer to go colonize arkansas if he didnt have the tools to degend his family in the middle of nowhere?

Today the lawlesness is still the same in many rural and urban areas.

U wont be able to convince people to let go of their rifle because they value safety beyond everything else.

London stabbings 2018 – latest knife crime statistics and attacks in Tuffnell Park, Clapham and Shepherds Bush

If you take the numbers of knofe related deaths/mutilation per capita in the uk it is higher than gun related mass violence in the us. The uk being one if the countries with the strictest gun laws in the west.

Indeed it allows to bear arms outside of the militia because they were tinkung of the lawlesness that was widespread in such a vast territory.
    How did expect a farmer to go colonize arkansas if he didnt have the tools to degend his family in the middle of nowhere?

U wont be able to convince people to let go of their rifle because they value safety beyond everything else.
    The second amendment is about defense against a tyrant not a western expansion or personal safety.

In the US, statistics are not even allowed to be collected on gun incidents. Many indicator sampling show the combination of deterrence and good guys with a gun is dwarfed by the mass murder taking place. The CDC needs to study this like they did car accidents.
    Mind you I am not for a gun free law, but for Pete’s sake have a solid robust background check and training before handing someone a gun. And a personal gun with a small clip is plenty deterrence and self defense. You’re in France so the force de frappe game theory is not foreign to you.

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    London stabbings 2018 – latest knife crime statistics and attacks in Tuffnell Park, Clapham and Shepherds Bush

Something to think about . It would be interesting to compare with other countries with strict gun laws and whether it's the same there or if some countries have lower rates of such crimes; and, if so, what factors are involved.

mrsrx

Orange Room Supporter

Change my mind
    Creating a well organized militia to defend against tyrants ...oh south of lebanon is using it correctly i guess if we had that!
    great idea!

mrsrx

Orange Room Supporter

Comparing london (a city) counting all knife violence comparing it to a country and only mass violence sure you will get the same numbers....apples and oranges....
    1) compare a city to a city and a country to a country
    2) compare murder rate to murder rate (all inclusive and do not isolate only MASS attacks vs all attacks)

Just pointing the issues with your sentence

source?

just saying thesun has a bad reputation in the UK ... id read with care and not saying there is not any truth in it ...