• Before posting an article from a specific source, check this list here to see how much the Orange Room trust it. You can also vote/change your vote based on the source track record.

Yet Another Mass Shooting in the US

J

joseph_lubnan

Legendary Member
You are also repeating yourself, and not adding any value to the conversation ! You have the opinion of a judge in my post... the law in its current form allows murderers to walk. Feel free to support it and hope no harm befalls you or a loved one from any idiot out there
If someone attacks you, please make sure to wait until he cracks your skull before defending yourself :) Maybe that would knock some sense into you :)

• Advertisement
  • J

joseph_lubnan

Legendary Member
    Let's add some gender and feminism into this @walidos.

A tiny 5 foot tall petite woman is confronted by a large man of whatever color you chose. He has a threatening demeanor and it is clear he is attacking her, should she wait until he grabs her to make sure before she fires a gun at him? If he grabs her would she still be able to defend herself, thereafter?

I am not kidding, please consider this scenario carefully if you do not mind.

Walidos

Walidos

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Let's add some gender and feminism into this @walidos.

A tiny 5 foot tall petite woman is confronted by a large man of whatever color you chose. He has a threatening demeanor and it is clear he is attacking her, should she wait until he grabs her to make sure before she fires a gun at him? If he grabs her would she still be able to defend herself, thereafter?

I am not kidding, please consider this scenario carefully if you do not mind.
    Why do you insist on playing the smart ass card? I told you very clearly I support self defence. What I don’t support is abusing self defence as this law allows people to do...
    and I didn’t mention neither colour nor gender...

Go troll someone else!

proIsrael-nonIsraeli

proIsrael-nonIsraeli

Legendary Member
    You are also repeating yourself, and not adding any value to the conversation ! You have the opinion of a judge in my post... the law in its current form allows murderers to walk. Feel free to support it and hope no harm befalls you or a loved one from any idiot out there
    "You are also repeating yourself"

Of course I must - surely you wouldn't expect different answer to the same question asked many times, but in different ways.

proIsrael-nonIsraeli

proIsrael-nonIsraeli

Legendary Member
    "You are also repeating yourself"

Of course I must - surely you wouldn't expect different answer to the same question asked many times, but in different ways.
    "the law in its current form allows murderers to walk" - possibly, but per your suggestion it would force innocent to die. either is not perfect.

The_FPMer

The_FPMer

Leftist lies:

What actually happened:

A young rapper shot dead by police as he slept in his car was not threatening officers as they claimed, his family has insisted.

Police have confirmed the identity of the young man they shot in the parking lot of a Taco Bell fast-food restaurant as 21-year-old Willie McCoy, who was known as Willie Bo, and performed with the group FBG.

Officers in Vallejo, California, said they had gone there after restaurant staff called 911 to report seeing a person slumped over the seat of a silver Mercedes.

In a statement, the Vallejo Police Department said as officers approached the vehicle, the “driver began to suddenly move and looked at the uniformed patrol officers”.

“Officers gave the driver several commands to put his hands up. The driver did not comply and instead he quickly moved his hands downward for the firearm,” it said of Saturday’s incident. “Fearing for their safety, six officers fired their duty weapons at the driver.”

proIsrael-nonIsraeli

proIsrael-nonIsraeli

Legendary Member
    "the law in its current form allows murderers to walk" - possibly, but per your suggestion it would force innocent to die. either is not perfect.
    "either is not perfect" - that I agree, but we have to weigh probability of error and pick the lesser error prone approach.

J

joseph_lubnan

Legendary Member
    Why do you insist on playing the smart ass card? I told you very clearly I support self defence. What I don’t support is abusing self defence as this law allows people to do...
    and I didn’t mention neither colour nor gender...

Go troll someone else!
    Without this law the woman in my example would not be able to legally defend herself until (in effect) after she was already raped!

J

joseph_lubnan

Legendary Member
    "either is not perfect" - that I agree, but we have to weigh probability of error and pick the lesser error prone approach.
    you cannot use equal weights when measuring probability of error on both sides. Laws should favor selfdefense.

Walidos

Walidos

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Without this law the woman in my example would not be able to legally defend herself until (in effect) after she was already raped!
    It also allows people to kill with neither a threat nor repercussions to their act

Walidos

Walidos

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    I am not suggesting repealing the law, I am suggesting improving it so that it can not be abused...

proIsrael-nonIsraeli

proIsrael-nonIsraeli

Legendary Member
    you cannot use equal weights when measuring probability of error on both sides. Laws should favor self-defense.
    At the moment laws favor self-defense, but as they say - never say "never".

proIsrael-nonIsraeli

proIsrael-nonIsraeli

Legendary Member
    I am not suggesting repealing the law, I am suggesting improving it so that it can not be abused...
    OK, then let us know what you suggest specifically to improve it.

Walidos

Walidos

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    OK, then let us know what you suggest specifically to improve it.
    There must be a clear intent to harm for example... it’s not ok to shoot someone who is shouting at you for example.... or someone who is unarmed... so if people claim self défense and the victim was unarmed, they should go to jail.
    and btw, I am not a lawmaker... but this is the type of things that would avoid its abuse

proIsrael-nonIsraeli

proIsrael-nonIsraeli

Legendary Member
    There must be a clear intent to harm for example... it’s not ok to shoot someone who is shouting at you for example.... or someone who is unarmed... so if people claim self défense and the victim was unarmed, they should go to jail.
    and btw, I am not a lawmaker... but this is the type of things that would avoid its abuse
    We already have all of the above covered by law with one correction - "clear intent" is instead "believed to be in danger" and then court will decide whether there was reason to "believed to be in danger" or not.

I was hoping you have something concrete to suggest.
    I think you just want to have things work better, but you do not know how to make it so - do not worry, so i everyone else.

V

Viral

One person had died and three have been injured in a shooting at a synagogue in Poway, near San Diego, California. A suspect has been detained. The local mayor said the crime was hate-motivated.
    Police responded to calls about a man with a gun at the Chabad of Poway synagogue at about 11:30 am local time on Saturday. Four victims were taken to hospital, and Poway Mayor Steve Vaus told NBC there was one fatality.
    Police say one person was in custody, and there is no further threat.

V

Viral

Synagogue shooting in California leaves at least 1 dead and 3 wounded

(CNN)
    A man was in custody after a shooting at a synagogue in the California city of Poway left at least one person dead and several others wounded, Mayor Steve Vaus said Saturday.
    The shooting, which Vaus described as a possible hate crime, occurred at Congregation Chabad on the last day of Passover.
    The Palomar Medical Center Poway received four patients from the shooting, according to a hospital spokeswoman.
    Vaus said the three people who were wounded have non-life-threatening injuries.

He said he considered it a hate crime "because of statements that were made when the shooter entered."

The mayor said the congregation was targeted by "someone with hate in their heart ... towards our Jewish community and that just will not stand." The congregaton "took security very seriously," he said.
    "I also understand from folks on the scene that this shooter was engaged by people in the congregation and those brave people certainly prevented this from being a much worse tragedy," Vaus told CNN.
    Congregation member Minoo Anvari, who said her husband witnessed the shooting, said the rabbi called for unity and prayed for peace even after getting shot.
    "Rabbi said, 'We are united,'" said Anvari, a refugee from Iran.
    "This is something bad (that) is happening all over. And we have to believe that this bad thing is real and we don't have to ignore it. We have to open our eyes. He prayed for peace. I respect him -- even in spite of being injured he refused to go to hospital and he spoke. And he finished his speech and he then left the synagogue."
    Anvari said her husband told her the shooter was screaming and cursing when he opened fire.
    A witness told CNN affiliate KGTV there were six or seven shots followed by screams and then another volley of shots. The witness said the wounded rabbi tried to calm the gunman and members of the congregation.
    The San Diego Police Department is assisting sheriff's deputies with the incident, according to a tweet from Chief David Nisleit.
    "No known threats however in an abundance of caution, we will be providing extra patrol at places of worship," Nisleit said.
    Deputies were called to the synagogue about 11:30 a.m. (2:30 p.m. ET). The synagogue's Facebook page said a Passover celebration was scheduled for 11 a.m.
    Passover, one of the holiest Jewish celebrations of the year, ends Saturday.
    The incident comes months six months to the day after the shooting at the Tree of Life synagogue in Pittsburgh.
    On October 27, Robert Bowers stormed the synagogue, killing 11 people in what the Anti-Defamation League said was the deadliest anti-Semitic attack in US history.A federal law enforcement official said at the time that Bowers made anti-Semitic statements during the shooting and targeted Jews on social media.

The Chabad of Poway website said the congregation is a center for Jewish people of all backgrounds. It was established in 1986.
    Poway, about 20 miles north of San Diego, has about 48,000 residents. It is an upper-middle-class community that calls itself "The City in the Country." The city website said it has one of the lowest crime rates in the state.

V

Viral

A 19-year-old male with an assault-style rifle in custody after what authorities called a 'hate crime' attack
    Thomson Reuters · Posted: Apr 27, 2019 5:24 PM ET | Last Updated: 8 minutes ago

People react outside of the Chabad of Poway Synagogue in Poway, Calif., on Saturday following a shooting. (Denis Poroy/Associated Press)
    A shooting at a synagogue outside San Diego, Calif., where worshipers were celebrating the last day of Passover, left one woman dead and three others wounded, authorities said.
    A 19-year-old suspect armed with an assault-style rifle was arrested, police said.
    The gun violence at the Congregation Chabad synagogue in the town of Poway, Calif. — about 37 kilometres north of downtown San Diego — unfolded six months to the day after 11 worshippers were killed and six others were wounded by a gunman who stormed a synagogue in Pittsburgh yelling, "All Jews must die." The assailant in that incident was arrested.
    Poway Mayor Steve Vaus, speaking from a police command centre, told CNN that one person was confirmed dead in an attack that he described as a "hate crime," saying his assessment was based on statements uttered by the gunman when he entered the synagogue.
    A Palomar Medical Center spokesperson, Derryl Acosta, told Reuters: "We received four patients at about 12:30 p.m. They are in trauma."
    It was not immediately clear whether one of the hospital patients accounted for the fatality reported by the mayor.
    "There are injuries. This is a developing situation," the San Diego County Sheriff's Department said in a message posted on Twitter from its station in Poway, a city of about 50,000 residents, shortly after the shooting occurred.
    'Horrified and upset'
    Local channel KGTV 10News said at least four victims were transported to hospitals from the synagogue, which was hosting a holiday celebration beginning at 11 a.m. and due to culminate in a final Passover meal at 7 p.m., according to its website.
    San Diego television station KGTV reported a woman whose husband was still inside the synagogue as saying the victims included the rabbi, another woman and the gunman himself.

Synagogue members walk outside of the Chabad of Poway Synagogue on April 27, 2019, in Poway, Calif. One woman is dead and three other worshipers were injured after a shooting at the synagogue on Saturday. (Denis Poroy/Associated Press)
    Minoo Anvari, an Iranian refugee whose husband was attending services inside when gunshots rang out, told KUSI-TV the wounded included a female friend and the rabbi, who was shot in the hand. "We are united. You can't break us. We are in the U.S.," Anvari told KUSI.
    A man who lives nearby, Christopher Folts, said on CNN he heard six to seven gunshots, then a man yelling, followed by six to seven more shots.
    Cantor Caitlin Bromberg of Ner Tamid Synagogue, down the street from the shooting scene, said her congregation learned of the shooting at the end of their Passover services and that they were heading to Chabad of Poway to show support and help.
    "We are horrified and upset, and we want them to know we are thinking of them," Bromberg told The Los Angeles Times, adding that she has not heard from Chabad of Poway, because they would not normally use the phone during the Sabbath.
    "They would only do that on emergency basis, if they do it at all," Bromberg told the newspaper.

V

Viral

California synagogue gunman possible suspect in mosque arson, linked to Christchurch-style manifesto

John T. Earnest has been named as the gunman who opened fire on worshipers inside the Chabad of Poway synagogue, killing one woman. He reportedly cited the New Zealand mosque attack as his inspiration.
    The man behind the deadly rampage on Saturday afternoon that left one person dead and three injured has been identified as John T. Earnest, a 19-year-old white male from San Diego, Sheriff Bill Gore said.