• Before posting an article from a specific source, check this list here to see how much the Orange Room trust it. You can also vote/change your vote based on the source track record.

YOU and the Lebanese Passport

Carbon Dioxide

Carbon Dioxide

What's happening with the Lebanese passport these days, it seems that wherever we go as Lebanese, we must be frowned upon and looked at suspiciously.

It also seems to be the norm that our passport requires X amount of paperwork or bureaucracy in order to be able to access countries like Jordan or Turkey, let alone Europe or the United States.

What is wrong with our passport

What is wrong with the Lebanese nationality

What kind of experiences have you had as a Lebanese while holding a Lebanese passport at various ports of entry or at foreign embassies in Lebanon or worldwide?

Share your thoughts so that at least the grievance of Lebanese nationals could be accounted for somewhere, somehow.

Regards

• Advertisement
  • J

jay247

Al mout li Amrika anyone? you can't really expect them not to be suspicious when you chant to their death.

AlGhaliboon

AlGhaliboon

CO2, I have always received really nasty looks especially at U.S ports of entry. I have always been told to stand aside, and wait for someone to come and interview me. They added all the information on the computer, where I was going to stay, why I was going there, how long I would stay, phone number, etc.

Once I gave the guy my passport, and as soon as he saw the passport his entire facial expression changed. This was before 9/11. After 9/11 it was even worse.

They also took me to special section for interview for a visa, along with other Muslims. I also had to wait for more than 2 hours to enter an airport, and had to take my pic taken, and be interviewed (also took more than 2 hours, and I had to go from one terminal to another) to EXIT the country.

Last edited:
    Bodhisattva

Bodhisattva

london's a b**** with the lebanese passport. I lied my a** off to get through on the 24 hour visas, and had to lie my a** off to get bloody long visas, eventually believed my own lies and fell from grace,

its all a lovely experience really (young love :D) :)

If you intend on using things like: i need a visa because

-i'm engaged and her parents won't let her leave, crazy conservatives, to see me
    -well we're trying for our first kid and its that time of month for her, and well, im stuck here for 7 hours till my toronto flight, why not help a couple of rabbits out
    -or, i'm really terrified, her dad doesnt like me and im trying to get him too, she's the first woman im marrying and i dont want it to be a horrible experience, should i go for a Chivas, or for a box of cubans, no, Both? ok, thanks for the advise, and now the visa
    -or ..

these are probably crossed out now from the legitimate excuses of letting a Leb into London on a Leb passport.. try to be more creative :)

On a positive note, the Lebanese Flag on a backpack and an extension of the passport really can be very alluring to interesting strangers who think Lebanese are a marriage of Che guevaran heroics and Samurai mystics. So you never know. What i advise Lebanese to do is, try to get a second passport for the meantime AND work on making your passport better now and in the longterm. khalas, goodluck

Nikos

Nikos

u r asking wht's happening to the Lebanese passport....
    let's ask what's hapening to Our Lebanon.....

Miss Orange

Miss Orange

First of all lets not try to blame this on HA when it really has nothing to do with them. It's just an excuse people like to believe and take advantage of it to blame HA. Unfortunately this has been happening for awhile to lebanese.

Personally, i had one of the worst experiences ever. I have an American passport and i was born in the united states and still no matter what they still single you out just because of where you're going or where you're coming from.

On my way back from lebanon two years ago my flight connection was in Paris CDG airport it was just me and about 3 other lebanese on that flight going to the US. We were the only ones fully searched i went to check in and the lady at the counter looked at my ticket and said where are you coming from? I said lebanon and she literally said UH OH security. WOW that made me feel great. It was as if i just commited a crime or something but come on think about it what on earth is a 15 yr old girl possibly going to do ???? Well apparently they thought a lot. The other couple of lebanese and me we're the only ones singled out and they made us take anything you could take off without having it be illegal basically, but no one else going on the flight had to do this. So then they we're done with searching us physically now it was our luggages turn. They took all our luggage from hand bags to big luggage and went through it piece by piece and this was all when the rest of the passengers were waiting for us on the plane! And before they went through the luggage they told us if your bags aren't here we can't let you on the plane and you have to find another flight :eek:hmy: I was in shock. just because i came from lebanon this is what they we're doing to me. Well anyways mar2it 3a kheir bas t3a2dit and i don't like i'll ever go through CDG again because on my way to lebanon and in past years i went through london and this never happened. I really don't know why they would do this. I understand security purposes and all that but come on theres limits.

P.S. I thanked god my bags were on the plane so they could search them and then i was like maybe that was just a threat or something about not letting us leave. Oh but it wasnt one week later a friend of ours had sent her 8 yr old daughter to lebanon and she was coming back through CDG airport and unfortunately her bags miss the flight from beirut, so they took her and put her in a hotel with customer service and all that, but come one its an 8 yr old!!!!!! Shouldnt there be limits, oh i forgot we're from the middle east so "bibahidlouna 2ad ma madon ye3ni"

bas 2ad ma ya3mlo badna ndal nrooh 3ala lebnan:tongue:

P

Phoenician

Nikos hit the nail on the head. Everything you see wrong are just symptoms of the real disease : the non-state of Lebanon.

AlGhaliboon

AlGhaliboon

Bodhisattva, yeah, London is pretty bad; but not as bad as the American ones.

MissOrange, I've been in CDG and I haven't had a negative experience all the times I've been there. In fact, I was treated rather pleasantly, and did not have to go through any irregular checks or anything, and the same could be said for other Lebanese.

Italy (Malpensa) was OK too, but they were more mechanical about the whole process, as opposed to the French, who started chatting and were extremely hospitable.

Miss Orange

Miss Orange

MissOrange, I've been in CDG and I haven't had a negative experience all the times I've been there. In fact, I was treated rather pleasantly, and did not have to go through any irregular checks or anything, and the same could be said for other Lebanese.

Italy (Malpensa) was OK too, but they were more mechanical about the whole process, as opposed to the French, who started chatting and were extremely hospitable.
    lucky you. i guess its luck and timing unfortunately it was my first time traveling alone so i was scarred for life from CDG.:frown:

Last edited:
    Bodhisattva

Bodhisattva

The french were great with me too. The english were generally friendly except one time this lady found it "strange" that my picture page on the passport was a little bent. Apparently that raised suspisions that my super tamperproof passport was tampered with. Anyhow, the the elaboration of the tale of "urgency" had to be exaggerated that day to get over the hicup. It's the "policy's" i had to go through to get a normal 6 months visa that was the worst. The 2 year one too, my application was like a file, it had pictures, bank statementS (plural), business offers, letterS, and a number of other things, i was gonna include a videotape in the end just to make sure it works, but "packaging requirements" nullified that thought.

Portugal was fine too, but i would rate heathrow as the most unfriendly from my experience

AlGhaliboon

AlGhaliboon

The french were great with me too. The english were generally friendly except one time this lady found it "strange" that my picture page on the passport was a little bent. Apparently that raised suspisions that my super tamperproof passport was tampered with. Anyhow, the the elaboration of the tale of "urgency" had to be exaggerated that day to get over the hicup. It's the "policy's" i had to go through to get a normal 6 months visa that was the worst. The 2 year one too, my application was like a file, it had pictures, bank statementS (plural), business offers, letterS, and a number of other things, i was gonna include a videotape in the end just to make sure it works, but "packaging requirements" nullified that thought.

Portugal was fine too, but i would rate heathrow as the most unfriendly from my experience
    Oh yes, getting a U.S visa has been quite a headache, and I had to compile quite a thick file myself. The person who looked at my application made me stand and watch as he went through all the papers one by one, then they sent me to some other place after transferring my files there, for security interview.... I was asked things like, have you taken part in any political activities? Are you a member of any party/organization? etc.

I've changed my passport and I intend to keep it CLEAN of U.S visas. :biggrin:

Bachir

Bachir

In France you pay 100 EURO for a 10 years passport, and with this passport you can go to every country you want.
    In Lebanon you pay 200$ for a 5 years passport, and you cannot go anywhere with it.

Bachir

Bachir

The french were always great with me too, I go there once or twice per year, and in Holland and Germany too, in Finland, they took time staring at it, I was with a french girl she passed straight away as about me the lebanese passport holder it took them a minute but they were polite so I said to the

but in Australia they did the explosive test on me! passport lebneni ajallkon
    in Lithuania they checked my luggage, they are mean with every body.

Carbon Dioxide

Carbon Dioxide

What about your applications for a visa guys....

Is there any country in the world (other than Syria) that accepts Lebanese without previous visa application that could take days?!?

Makiabel

Makiabel

It was spring 2004, US Consulate in Toronto. It took me less than 5 mins. to get my visa to the US, well after submitting my application the previous day. they took my fingure print though. It was effortless to me :)
    In Italy last summer, it took them about 5 mins. to skan my luggage and look at my passport, and that's about it, overall i've had good experiences with my Lebanese Passport, and i'm proud of it too ;-)