Your Opinions: Lebanon Vs. Expat Life

Have you / Are you...

• ...an expat who already moved back to Lebanon and plans on staying?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
theMightyRedV

theMightyRedV

the market in dubai and doha is quite shit and will be over the next year anyway (everyones in denial but theres definitely a recession)...Saudi is the least enjoyable place, but actually has the most work and best pay. Good luck - i'll check if our company is looking for civil guys - we're focused on MEP and structures though.

• Advertisement
  • Mrsrxmas

Mrsrxmas

Somehow a Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Will only come back to lebanon when i have several millions in my bank account ...and flying cars so i wont suffer el 3aj2a again :D

Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
    Orange Room Supporter
    A good education costs an insane amount of money in Lebanon to start off, I was subjected to all kinds of sexual harassment even as barely a teenager, insane amount of pollution and very limited opportunities, expensive healthcare, lack of transportation, limited number of hobbies and if they're existent they're very expensive, road safety is very lacking so forget about walking around, etc. The only positive thing about Lebanon is being near family, but I want to offer her the best life I can and that's not in Lebanon. I left the country for a reason, I'm not subjecting my daughter to the same choices.
    if u think she wouldnt suffer those in france u’re in for a big surprise

NAFAR

NAFAR

Well I have no option but to comeback one day as I am living currently in the Gulf.
    No plans to return for now, but at a certain stage when the kids need to enter university the family must go back to Lebanon.

Tayyar9

Tayyar9

Legendary Member
    I've lived my whole life in Lebanon and plan to live here forever. Hopefully, I'll be able to. But you never know, especially with a family and when you start having kids.

J

joseph_lubnan

Legendary Member
    A good education costs an insane amount of money in Lebanon to start off, I was subjected to all kinds of sexual harassment even as barely a teenager, insane amount of pollution and very limited opportunities, expensive healthcare, lack of transportation, limited number of hobbies and if they're existent they're very expensive, road safety is very lacking so forget about walking around, etc. The only positive thing about Lebanon is being near family, but I want to offer her the best life I can and that's not in Lebanon. I left the country for a reason, I'm not subjecting my daughter to the same choices.
    The list is much longer, much much longer... Do not subject your kid to Lebanon, and take her on vacations elsewhere too :)
    But I suggest you leave this third world country France and immigrate to a better place :)

elias-aj

elias-aj

Legendary Member
    The list is much longer, much much longer... Do not subject your kid to Lebanon, and take her on vacations elsewhere too :)
    But I suggest you leave this third world country France and immigrate to a better place :)
    Lol, not a third-world country. A single post would not be enough to talk about France, but I would say the following facts.

Both the education and health sectors are great.

There's a vibrant cultural life, each region hosting its own cultural treasures. Of course, when it comes to gastronomy, there's no other country in the world that could compete with France.

We can rely on high-level infrastructures and services - roads, energy, etc.

And of course, we have solid political institutions thanks to the Gaullist movement and our 58' Constitution.

Unfortunately, as heaven can not be found on earth, we are literally subdued by the heavy level of taxes and charges on labour (or statutory contributions). And the French population is almost as depressed as the Lebanese population ; it is really a conservative society, resistant to any change... with strong tendencies to initiate strikes and demonstrations once every other week, which makes it a nightmare to book a train or a flight ticket.

I like to think of France as a bigger Lebanon but after centuries of evolution in fact, lol.

Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
    Orange Room Supporter
    As much as she would in Lebanon? Seriously???!
    whether u live in france or lebanon ur daughter’s gona grow up playing in the ipad and watching pc kids shows ?

on a more serious note, harrasment in france is as bad as anywhere else, thats not really an argument

IsaBells

IsaBells

All the jingle ladies, put your hands up!
    Orange Room Supporter
    whether u live in france or lebanon ur daughter’s gona grow up playing in the ipad and watching pc kids shows ?

on a more serious note, harrasment in france is as bad as anywhere else, thats not really an argument
    No it isn't, it's not socially acceptable in France and you can do something about it

S

Saj

Born abroad, lived in Lebanon for parts of my youth, back abroad since. Would love to live in Lebanon but I’m not counting on it. If the country makes the necessary changes where I can raise a family without fearing for their safety and health, and I can sustain a comfortable living, then I’d love to. I find myself in the same predicament my parents were in about 30 years ago - a love for Lebanon but nothing left to do in Lebanon. I do hope that changes and it’s a big reason why I retain some optimism about this revolution.

But even if I don’t ever move back, I’ll always have an apartment there, I’ll always visit yearly, and I’ll make sure my kids have the connection to the land that their parents and grandparents had. Maybe we couldn’t go back when we wanted to, but if the children are connected and the country is stable, they’ll grow up to want to return themselves.

O Brother

O Brother

Legendary Member
    I'll be thinking about going back until my last breath..

nothing beats home :angel:

shadow1

shadow1

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    I once asked two of nephews who were born and raised in Australia to locate Lebanon on a world map. They couldn't. Truthfully I never enjoyed ignorance better. To Them Lebanon is a party country. I think every Lebanese owes it to their children and their grand children (and add as may greats to it as you wish) to do their best to leave this land. IMO it's eternally doomed no matter the outcome of this quasi revolution and the twenty that will ensue. God damned this nation forever. That is not to say that you cant visit it and have a great time here. Most expats who love chaos do. The one thing required of you is to learn how not to be concerned with any of the locals issues. Lebanon is a continuos tragedy that does not end with the death of the actors. All future actors will have to pay the price. How many times have your hopes been dashed? How many times have you lost faith in your favourite politicians? How many generations must suffer before you reach the illusive promised Land? Face the fact buddy the country you dream of is a mirage. Unless you are related to a politician and you are guaranteed a government job with benefits and you are inherently corrupt this isn't the place for you. And if you are corrupt then you are i heaven.

Getting uprooted from your history and roots is never a pleasant experience as you lose your sense of belonging. That is the price first generation migrants pay but the benefits your descendants will reap from your loss far outweigh the cost. Those who get a chance to leave voluntarily must never squander the opportuinty and those who have been forced to leave their land like we have must thank their lucky stars for their tragic luck.

Long after the christians leave and they'd be silly if they dont, those who remain will be at each other's throat forever. Middle Easterners are inherently violent and self-hating no matter the lies they tell themselves to the opposite.

I have no doubt is I come back to you in a hundred years in my either angelic or saintly form I'd be discussing the same miseries with you. Even if I wait an wdditional two hundred years nothing will have changed. OH God punished this part of the world in a bad way when he decided to send religion to it.

J

joseph_lubnan

Legendary Member
    It depends on where you live overseas too. Maybe you are stuck in the godforsaken gulf, at some point you really need to try to leave to the west or otherwise come back to Lebanon.

I have always advised folks on this forum to immigrate and for good. If you miss Lebanon, or the community come here to this forum and hang out for a bit with us :)

J

joseph_lubnan

Legendary Member
    At some point in time, most Lebanese have to decide whether to make their life in Lebanon or to move abroad. I am curious about everyone's experiences, thoughts, and feelings about this topic.
    Indie, I know you always wanted to go back to Lebanon but give it up :)
    If you get home sick, I am here for you :)

J

joseph_lubnan

Legendary Member
    Focus on immigrating to the west. If you go work in the gulf make sure you get a job with, or quickly transfer to a western company with many branches in Europe and the US, and then transfer from the gulf there. Good luck to you Apostate, I am sad to hear you are not working now, I wish you the best.

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    I once asked two of nephews who were born and raised in Australia to locate Lebanon on a world map. They couldn't. Truthfully I never enjoyed ignorance better. To Them Lebanon is a party country. I think every Lebanese owes it to their children and their grand children (and add as may greats to it as you wish) to do their best to leave this land. IMO it's eternally doomed no matter the outcome of this quasi revolution and the twenty that will ensue. God damned this nation forever. That is not to say that you cant visit it and have a great time here. Most expats who love chaos do. The one thing required of you is to learn how not to be concerned with any of the locals issues. Lebanon is a continuos tragedy that does not end with the death of the actors. All future actors will have to pay the price. How many times have your hopes been dashed? How many times have you lost faith in your favourite politicians? How many generations must suffer before you reach the illusive promised Land? Face the fact buddy the country you dream of is a mirage. Unless you are related to a politician and you are guaranteed a government job with benefits and you are inherently corrupt this isn't the place for you. And if you are corrupt then you are i heaven.

Getting uprooted from your history and roots is never a pleasant experience as you lose your sense of belonging. That is the price first generation migrants pay but the benefits your descendants will reap from your loss far outweigh the cost. Those who get a chance to leave voluntarily must never squander the opportuinty and those who have been forced to leave their land like we have must thank their lucky stars for their tragic luck.

Long after the christians leave and they'd be silly if they dont, those who remain will be at each other's throat forever. Middle Easterners are inherently violent and self-hating no matter the lies they tell themselves to the opposite.

I have no doubt is I come back to you in a hundred years in my either angelic or saintly form I'd be discussing the same miseries with you. Even if I wait an wdditional two hundred years nothing will have changed. OH God punished this part of the world in a bad way when he decided to send religion to it.
    I was sadly agreeing with you...until the last sentence. Don't blame God for what men do to each other and to themselves. Even if they do it in the name of God, it doesn't have anything to do with Him.

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Indie, I know you always wanted to go back to Lebanon but give it up :)
    If you get home sick, I am here for you :)
    That's not even it, at this point. Things are more complex than that. But, I'll refrain from oversharing.

Thanks for the friendly words though :)

Wolf

Wolf

went back in 2005 after 15 years for a visit of 2 weeks.
    never again going back.