Your Opinions: Lebanon Vs. Expat Life

Have you / Are you...

• ...an expat who already moved back to Lebanon and plans on staying?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Advertisement
  • Nonan

Nonan

Orange Room Supporter
    Will only come back to lebanon when i have several millions in my bank account ...and flying cars so i wont suffer el 3aj2a again :D
    But are you sure you can access these several millions?

Nonan

Nonan

Orange Room Supporter
    Left over 20 years ago and since then changed countries twice. Come back for 1 week / 10 days every year since my daughters were born so they can get to know Lebanon a bit and see the extended family. However, very very very very unlikely any of us would ever come back to Lebanon to live. Daughters born in the US and have lived there ever since. France is much more familiar to them than Lebanon (both my wife and I are French) as they spend Christmas and most of the summer there every year...

Nonan

Nonan

Orange Room Supporter
    Of course as long as i have a screwdriver and a magnet!
    Was chatting with a friend of mine in Beirut and apparently some poor guy tried to get his deposits from the bank ($20,000) but they would only give him the equivalent of 500$ in LBP.
    He went home, got his AK47, went back to the bank and forced them at gun point to give him all his money. He apparently even signed the receipt of the withdrawal... the most honest bank robbery of all times!

The End

The End

First of his Name
    Orange Room Supporter
    went back in 2005 after 15 years for a visit of 2 weeks.
    never again going back.
    I am curious to know what happened to you during those two weeks

The End

The End

First of his Name
    Orange Room Supporter
    At some point in time, most Lebanese have to decide whether to make their life in Lebanon or to move abroad. I am curious about everyone's experiences, thoughts, and feelings about this topic.
    This is a subject I can discuss for hours.

Born in Lebanon, moved to Canada, Lebanon, Canada, UK, and now Canada again.

I've spent considerable time in Lebanon in between all of these trips and I plan on continue doing so.

I actually dream of going back to Lebanon, but the reality is that despite the very strong pros of living there, there are even stronger cons that are preventing me from making the move.

1) Opportunities: There are very few opportunities to make a decent living, learn, and grow as a professional. The fact that things are expensive adds a challenge to overcome.

2) Lack of a functioning state: Needless to say, the system is designed to make your life difficult, so it makes getting things done a pain in the ass.

There are several other reasons but these are definitely the top two. If I had to chose a third one it would be the mentality (judging others etc.)

I was in Lebanon until fairly recently, but I just moved back to Canada. Arriving here was great but it quickly got boring (especially since winter is coming). It lacks the joie de vivre, and the strong sense of community that is ever so present in Lebanon (especially in the day3a).

On the other hand, I was taking a class this weekend, and I noticed a woman with very tattoos from her neck to her fingers. She impressed me the minute she opened her mouth. Turns out she is a psychotherapist and comes across as an extremely intelligent woman, an eloquent speaker. She also had very classy manners. Had this woman been in Lebanon, she would have not even been given a chance simply because she chose to express herself with a lot of tattoos. Here, she is seen as the strong and independent woman that she is and is given the respect that she deserves. I love the fact that individuals are valued and are given a chance here regardless of practically anything.

Aoune32!

Aoune32!

This is a subject I can discuss for hours.

Born in Lebanon, moved to Canada, Lebanon, Canada, UK, and now Canada again.

I've spent considerable time in Lebanon in between all of these trips and I plan on continue doing so.

I actually dream of going back to Lebanon, but the reality is that despite the very strong pros of living there, there are even stronger cons that are preventing me from making the move.

1) Opportunities: There are very few opportunities to make a decent living, learn, and grow as a professional. The fact that things are expensive adds a challenge to overcome.

2) Lack of a functioning state: Needless to say, the system is designed to make your life difficult, so it makes getting things done a pain in the ass.

There are several other reasons but these are definitely the top two. If I had to chose a third one it would be the mentality (judging others etc.)

I was in Lebanon until fairly recently, but I just moved back to Canada. Arriving here was great but it quickly got boring (especially since winter is coming). It lacks the joie de vivre, and the strong sense of community that is ever so present in Lebanon (especially in the day3a).

On the other hand, I was taking a class this weekend, and I noticed a woman with very tattoos from her neck to her fingers. She impressed me the minute she opened her mouth. Turns out she is a psychotherapist and comes across as an extremely intelligent woman, an eloquent speaker. She also had very classy manners. Had this woman been in Lebanon, she would have not even been given a chance simply because she chose to express herself with a lot of tattoos. Here, she is seen as the strong and independent woman that she is and is given the respect that she deserves. I love the fact that individuals are valued and are given a chance here regardless of practically anything.
    We aren't expecting great things from the country aslan. Some reforms, some employment opportunities, health care just the basic really that any country has... Schools not that expensive for the kids...

Lebmonage

Lebmonage

Legendary Member
    At some point in time, most Lebanese have to decide whether to make their life in Lebanon or to move abroad. I am curious about everyone's experiences, thoughts, and feelings about this topic.
    I can't live in Lebanon permanently. Life in Lebanon is not sustainable. The economy is not conducive. The people (not all) have a retrogressive way of thinking. Its all about showing yourself as the stronger and the richer. If you are not filthy rich, betroo7 frata.

To a large extent nothing like respect for the rights of the individual or let me say, for human rights. Kel wa7ad sheyef 7alo w mfakker inno howwe el ossa kella w kermelo bteshro2 el shames. Wack mentality!

There are men in politics who have bred a negative culture. And there are small arms everywhere; everyone is armed and ready to threaten others at the slightest quarrel or misunderstanding. It is what the gabng leader in politics says that is law. The men are the laws. Their word is judgment. No sense of a country with institutions.

We'd start to have a normal country when there is an independent judiciary. Either judges have to be elected directly by the people (and not on the platforms of political parties, as that will negate their independence), or they should come up the ladder or graduate as lawyers to the position of judges through a merit based system and seniority/knowledge. And they should have power to implement, apply and execute judgments/the law. That means there should be a clear separation of power in govt. The executive and legislative have eliminated or weakened the judiciary arm of government in Lebanon. Until everyone feels equal under the same law, Lebanon is a beautiful jungle of humans.

We may underestimate how the sectarian/confessional system affects us and how our racist nature is detrimental. But it affects every facet of our life. We don't have a normal country. Its time for religions and sects and religious parties to take the back seat and work towards realizing a normal country based on citizenship and equal rights, and even secularism. We need to feel our country is part of civilization. Religion should be a private affair. If you want religious marriage, do it privately in a church or mosque or at home. A civil/state recognized marriage must be the obligatory.

My point for saying all this is simple: fi 7alet fawda mnazzameh. Kil wa7ad fete7 dikkeneh, aside the economy that can't sustain its people.

Last edited:
    Aoune32!

Aoune32!

the central authority is a failure on all levels. Lebanon a country of minorities have failed their citizens. Beirut and its suburbs with mount lebanon area have mostly the investments, employment opportunities, infrastructure but the people bel atraf have nothing. the atraf have to migrate to beirut and its suburbs as all the employment is over there. the suburbs with beirut and mount lebanon have exploded in population size with over 2 million people living there with only 2 million approx living bel atraf tripoli, akkar, baalbeck, the south etc.

the central gov has failed its citizens and there needs to be a new structure in governance. this is not only sectarian but political.

why in the world do i from tripoli need to go to beirut everytime to get something done? there needs to be administrative decentralisation financially and structural so people bel atraf stay there and no further demographic change happens in beirut and its suburbs. there is no justice in lebanon.

if there was just measly a resemblance of what a state should look like i would go back and live there for good with my wife and 2 kids but its not worth it.

country stays in my heart but cant really do more than that. i teach my kids arabic, i register them in lebanon so they both have citizenships but the country gives me nothing in return. its politics is that it clears me out so i become an expat and starts to send money back so they can live in lebanon. poor politics bsara7a.

Mrsrxmas

Mrsrxmas

Somehow a Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Was chatting with a friend of mine in Beirut and apparently some poor guy tried to get his deposits from the bank ($20,000) but they would only give him the equivalent of 500$ in LBP.
    He went home, got his AK47, went back to the bank and forced them at gun point to give him all his money. He apparently even signed the receipt of the withdrawal... the most honest bank robbery of all times!
    I am sure it is the same guy that knocks on the closet door before opening it! Some people were just raised polite! :lol:

JorjeToTheWorld

JorjeToTheWorld

Legendary Member
    Likely never coming back for good. Mostly related to work, but frankly I've always hated it even though I grew up there and moved fairly recently - I never identified with the culture; show off, fake, bombastic with not much beneath, corrupt to the core in every domain. It always felt like a prison with the horizon clouded and disfigured by pollution. I have family there, will always visit as obviously a part of me will be in Lebanon.

I am also bound to care about what goes on there. Strangely enough I am not as hopeless as everyone is. Many of us can be just as impacting as those who are surviving the hell and the people who left and saw what's on the outside are probably the key to build something else.

AtheistForJesus

AtheistForJesus

I don't find living in Mount Lebanon that bad or difficult to be honest.
    If you have a steady job and earn a decent income (a difficult but not impossible feat depending on your field), life can be actually good here.

I mean we can't drink the tap water and we have to resort to generators to avoid power outage.
    But apart from that:
    1. Healthcare is great and much more affordable than in the USA or Europe. (Dentists costs a fortune in the US.)
    2. Rent is still relatively cheap compared to the Gulf and the West.
    3. Convenience: Good luck finding a supermarket or a pharmacy that's open 24/7 in Europe.
    4. Groceries are affordable.
    5. Lifestyle: The Lebanese lifestyle is unattainable for most foreigners. I find that luxury and entertainment are more accessible in Lebanon. You'd have to pay a fortune to maintain the same lifestyle in the Gulf. Where else do you pay only 10$ for Cable TV?
    6. 300+ sunny days per year (I wouldn't trade that for anything).
    7. Great customer service: Everything is geared towards pleasing the client. In general, I find that the Lebanese are more lenient and customer-oriented than in other parts of the world. For instance: In Lebanon, it takes 2 minutes to open a bank account, 2 days to receive your credit card. In France, you'd have to provide 30 documents and wait until eternity.
    *Notice, I said Mount Lebanon.
    Outside the Christian areas, Lebanon is not livable.